Kotor: June Experience, Visuals, Fun, History, etc.

I don't mind hairpin turns, as long as I'm not in the front passenger seat of a car, and the one overlooking the edge! I checked out Rick Steves' Croatia and Slovenia from the library to read about Montenegro. Celebrity hasn't released their shore excursions for our May Italy & Croatia cruise, but I am still leaning towards the 7-hour tour Terry took.

MarleneAm: Montenegro (Kotor' date=' Budva) was a part of Yugoslavia until 2006 along with Koper (Slovenia) Dubrovnik(Croatia) and many other ports so it's not surprising that it's in Rick Steves book. It was disappointing that Kotor was not in his Mediterranean Ports book. [/quote']

Robinlynn: I decided I will probably sign up for the ship's excursion to Kotor and Perast. They both sound wonderful' date=' I will have more time in each town and spend less time on the bus. It is one of the few reasonably priced ship's excursions. I found it interesting that Rick Steves has lots in information on Montenegro in his book called

Rick Steves Croatia and Slovenia.....go figure! [/quote']

On the hairpin turns, they were not too bad as we were going uphill . . . AND on the right side of the roadway. That made things seem less threatening as we were not on that immediate edge of this mountainside road. The road was in good shape and our driver was solid. We were seated night at the front so we got excellent views and I got some nice pictures going up. When you get to the top, there's a great scenic overview location where the bus parks, we get out, can take more pictures, etc. Loved the views from there!!

For Robin, I pulled lots of library books looking for Montenegro info. The Rick Steves book you mentioned was one of the few that had much background on these areas that are just now getting more cruise stops and tourist visits. Kotor is not like Dubrovnik that has had lots written on it. But, Kotor is rising in its awareness and will be getting more attention in the future.

On Yugoslavia history, the "break-up" started to be happening after Marshall Tito's death on May 4, 1980 as ethnic tensions grew in this fragmented "country" that he had pull together after World War II. Slovenia and Croatia started the push for greater "freedom" in 1991. Lots battles happened in the 1991-95 period with a partial peace (Dayton Agreement) ending the biggest periods of war. Montenegro broke off first in 2003 and then its full independence finally came in 2006. The history here is very unique and complicated, especially with the challenging geography and religious factors.

Fortunately, before our trip, I talked with a couple of friends who knew more about this tangle of twisted history, religions, past battles, etc. That helped me better appreciate the backgrounds and peoples there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 47,120 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Terry - your 7-hour tour in 2011 was truly a bargain, as the price in 2012 is $119. The tour description also doesn't warn about the hairpin turns!

Grand Montenegro Tour - KV14 - Kotor, Montenegro

Depart Kotor for the Village of Njegusi where you will enjoy snacks and a break. Rejoin the coach and proceed to Cetinje, a museum town where you will visit the museum of King Nikola before continuing to Sveti Stefan for a panoramic stop before heading to Budva for lunch. Return to Kotor for a guided walking tour where the guide will show you several highlights including the town walls. Continue with an exterior visit of Cathedral of St. Triphon. At the end of tour, you'll have free time to shop and explore Kotor on your own. Note: must walk approx 1 mile over uneven, cobblestone surfaces, inclines and steps. You'll have ample time for shopping at the end of the tour in Kotor.

Approx. Duration: 7 hour(s)

*Current Price: Starting from

119.00 Adult (USD)

99.00 Child (USD)

0.00 Infant (USD)

Activity Type: Sightseeing and/or City Tours

Activity Level: Moderate

Advisements:

Restrictions: N/A

The 5-hour Montenegro Highlights tour is $89.75, and doesn't have the lunch stop in Budva.

• Like 1

Terry - your 7-hour tour in 2011 was truly a bargain, as the price in 2012 is $119. The tour description also doesn't warn about the hairpin turns! The 5-hour Montenegro Highlights tour is $89.75, and doesn't have the lunch stop in Budva.

Appreciate your update and added info on 2012 pricing, options. YES, we thought at the time, that our 2011 pricing for that long of a tour with lunch was a super bargain. Maybe the Montenegro folks were subsidizing things last year to help get people to see more of their interesting country. We did and enjoyed it so much.

We'd definitely like to go back and see more there. Unlike Dubrovnik, Kotor is not as busy and hyper over-run with tourists as can happen for some days with the more famous neighbor along that Croatian Coast.

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 52,396 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 months later...

Thank you for your wonderful and informative posts!! We just booked a cruise today for July which will be stopping in Kotor, and Dubrovnic among other stops. I've stumbled across your posts with photos highlighting each and I'm thrilled!!

Terry, once again, thank you for your posts! We seem to be always following in your footsteps (or wake, as it were:) ) we'll be in Kotor in very late Nov. 2013, & your post has been very helpful, I may have a few questions for you down the road!

Terry, once again, thank you for your posts! We seem to be always following in your footsteps (or wake, as it were:) ) we'll be in Kotor in very late Nov. 2013, & your post has been very helpful, I may have a few questions for you down the road!

DrmnOfMaui: Thank you for your wonderful and informative posts!! We just booked a cruise today for July which will be stopping in Kotor' date=' and Dubrovnic among other stops. I've stumbled across your posts with photos highlighting each and I'm thrilled!! [/quote']

Appreciate your super kind and nice comments. These reactions have "MADE MY DAY!!". Happy to answer any added questions. I view Kotor as one of new discoveries that will grow in popularity as the word gets around on its wonderful charm and scenery. Keep researching and planning.

THANKS! Enjoy both of your upcoming cruises! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 77,224 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 weeks later...

Terry, thank-you so much for your beautiful photos and informative thread! So happy I came across it in my search for suggestions in Kotor.

We are going to Kotor in September on Silhouette. I am amazed at the beauty - brings back memories of our Norwegian Fjords cruise (I have also seen your stunning photos of that area).

I feel truly blessed to be going to Kotor!

Terry, thank-you so much for your beautiful photos and informative thread! So happy I came across it in my search for suggestions in Kotor. We are going to Kotor in September on Silhouette. I am amazed at the beauty - brings back memories of our Norwegian Fjords cruise (I have also seen your stunning photos of that area). I feel truly blessed to be going to Kotor!

YES!! Kotor is super wonderful. Very unique and special. Hope everything works well for your September Silhouette visit. Are you on the Sept. 4 or 17 sailing? You will also see Dubrovnik, too, right? Great, historic city and scenic setting. Since we would be seeing Dubrovnik (being the only ship in town that day), we thought things worked well for us to spend more time "up country" in Montenegro and Budva and less in the walled town of Kotor.

Let me know any added questions.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 83,082 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Terry, we are on the Sep 17 Sailing (Adriatic). Yes, we are going to Dubrovnik - so looking forward to it!

Everything I plan has to be with my two young children in mind as well as their grandmas who are coming with!!

Your photos make all these ports "come alive" on these boards - Thank-you.

• 3 months later...
Terry, we are on the Sep 17 Sailing (Adriatic). Yes, we are going to Dubrovnik - so looking forward to it! Everything I plan has to be with my two young children in mind as well as their grandmas who are coming with!! Your photos make all these ports "come alive" on these boards - Thank-you.

Appreciate the kind and very nice comments, words from our South Africa friend. Your trip is getting close. Enjoy the hopefully great weather and super settings in these wonderful Croatian Coast areas. Love this scenic area so super much.

From the Daily Mail in London this morning, they have this headline: "Balkans bling: Why Montenegro is the latest Mediterranean hit with the rich and famous" with these highlights: "If you were a billionaire financier with a 40th birthday to celebrate - and if your guest list included friends who only arrive by private jet or motor yacht - then Montenegro might be your ideal holiday hotspot. So what does this little state, once part of the former Yugoslavia, have that has piqued the interest of Europe's great and good? Bordering Croatia and just up the coast from Greece (beyond Albania), Montenegro has long been dogged by memories of the Yugolsav wars which tore the region apart in the Nineties. Before the violence erupted, Montenegro was well-known for hosting the wealthy elite and stars of the silver screen. Luxury island resort Sveti Stefan hosted the likes of Princess Margaret, Sofia Loren, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. The violence all but killed off the tourism industry. But in 2006, Montenegro gained independence from Serbia, and within a few years, suddenly became a viable holiday destination again, bursting back onto the scene in 2011 with an extravagant Rothschild party and his budget-busting investment."

Lots of nice pictures and interesting details on this area are in this lengthy media profile. When there, we could see this coastal growth happening. We understand why its popularity is rising. Glad we visited Kotor and nearby before it got too busy and/or too over-run with tourist mobs. Get there while you can!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2192488/Luxury-Montenegro-Why-Balkan-state-new-glitzy-Mediterranean-hangout.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 101,173 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 months later...

From the News website in Australia, their travel writer last month has an interesting story with this headline: "Adriatic cruise aboard Celebrity Solstice". Here are some of the highlights on his experiences in Kotor: "The port of Kotor in the small but feisty nation of Montenegro is on Europe's most southern fjord. The soaring cliffs guarding a deep, narrow channel demand attention. Villages balance on slight outcrops at water's edge and even higher up, with little sign of roads - how do they get in or out? The cosy cliffs hugged us as our ship cautiously made its way up the passage until our arrival at Kotor. The port is centred on the old city. Its wall scales the background cliffs in a tortuous zigzag along ridgelines. You can climb up to the Fortress of St John at its peak for views over the city - but you'll need to be fit. The fortifications are a reminder this is a city coveted over centuries by Romans, Goths, Saracens, Bulgarians, Venetians, Turks, Austrians, French and more. It is easy to understand that Kotor is a jewel worth defending."

Since this writer was on the Solstice, as we enjoyed in June, 2011, his insights were a good memory refresher. He also had a number of picture from Kotor that brought back nice memories. His story also had good details and comments on Venice and Split.

Full story at:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/adriatic-cruise-aboard-celebrity-solstice/story-e6frfqf9-1226532282638

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,893 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry, Happy New Year and thanks for the link (great phrase about Venice :))

It reminded me that I 'borrowed' a couple of your great photos for this

which shows us climbing up to the fortress - as you say, Kotor is a superb port of call.

All the best for 2013, and may your camera never fail you ! Tony

Hi Terry, Happy New Year and thanks for the link (great phrase about Venice :)) It reminded me that I 'borrowed' a couple of your great photos for this
which shows us climbing up to the fortress - as you say, Kotor is a superb port of call.

All the best for 2013, and may your camera never fail you ! Tony

Appreciate Tony your kind comments and the honor of your "borrowing" a couple of my visuals. Will look at your YouTube video later today when I get caught up from doing a few things on my wife's "To Do" listing.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,893 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• Like 1

Appreciate Tony your kind comments and the honor of your "borrowing" a couple of my visuals. Will look at your YouTube video later today when I get caught up from doing a few things on my wife's "To Do" listing.

No ! Forget about watching videos until you have done ALL of that list :)

No ! Forget about watching videos until you have done ALL of that list :)

Haven't got all of the wife's chores done, but did watch the video. Nice job!!! Big climb up the hill on a hot day. Needed that swim. Saw a couple of my stills. Glad to help.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,965 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Coming in the Sunday morning New York Times travel section, they have a feature on "46 Places to Go in 2013" with this headline: "Montenegro: Baltic gem that's small, spectacular and cheap."

Here are some of the informative highlights that might be of value: "It’s been almost seven years since Montenegro peacefully parted ways with Serbia, long enough that Russian oligarchs and former Yugoslavs aren’t the only ones in on this booming Balkan jewel. On the Adriatic near Budva, a six-year renovation of Sveti Stefan resort, which includes a three-acre island with rooms set in repurposed 15th-century cottages, draws to a close in May with Aman Resorts opening 10 suites, a spa and restaurant on the island. Some 1.2 million international tourists came to Montenegro in 2011. That’s double the population and an 11 percent leap over 2010, a rate that beat nearly every country in Europe. Still, the country remains affordable. Comfortable hotels go for $75 a night or less. Heaping plates of cevapi sausages, tangy cheese and oily red peppers might set you back $12 with wine and dessert. Imagine Dubrovnik before the cruise ships or Switzerland before the cable cars. Go before it becomes either."

There is a nice picture of Sveti Stefan as a part of this feature. Lots of interesting locations around the world are featured in this long, overall story. It's a nice resource to update your future "to-do" list.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/10/travel/2013-places-to-go.html?hpw

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 114,212 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 months later...

From the Oklahoman newspaper in that state's capital city yesterday, they have this headline: "Rick Steves: Montenegro is Balkan paradise" with these highlights: "There's a buzz among travelers that humble little Montenegro is becoming a new Mediterranean hot spot. This tiny mountainous nation on the Adriatic achieved independence only recently, 2006. For me, rugged and forested Montenegro used to evoke the fratricidal chaos of a bygone age. My visit changed my view. My impressions — of impressive infrastructure improvements, a welcoming tourist trade, well-educated young people and an enthusiasm for Europe — left me feeling the country is on an upward trajectory. Montenegro has a pretty coast but the country is pretty light on sights. I'm fond of Cetinje, the scruffy but former historic capital. Tourists flock to the Budva Riviera, Montenegro's best stretch of sandy beaches, with the famous resort peninsula of Sveti Stefan."

His report continues and focuses on Kotor: "Probably the most dramatic stretch of its Adriatic coastline is the Bay of Kotor and its delightful town of Kotor. People love to call the bay 'fjordlike.' If you've been to Norway, you know it's rare that something routinely described as 'fjordlike' actually is. But the Bay of Kotor is worthy of the description. When we left the glitz of Kotor, the country stretched out before us — a basin defined by a ring of dark mountains, Montenegro's heartland. Exploring the poorest corner of any European country can be eye-opening — but Montenegro's is more evocative than most."

This Rick Steves outline brings back nice memories from our June 2011 visit there, including going to Cetinje and Budva.

Full story at:

http://newsok.com/rick-steves-montenegro-is-balkan-paradise/article/3819485

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 130,663 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thanks for the great pictures and comments on Kotor. We were originally scheduled to stop in Split this July but we got changed to Kotor. The more research I did, the more I liked the change. We are scheduled to do a five hour private tour with some time left in the old town.

I do have a question though, HAL does not have it listed as a tender port but looking at the pictures would make one believe that it is. We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of HAL's larger ships.

Thanks Terry!

Thanks for the great pictures and comments on Kotor. We were originally scheduled to stop in Split this July but we got changed to Kotor. The more research I did, the more I liked the change. We are scheduled to do a five hour private tour with some time left in the old town. I do have a question though, HAL does not have it listed as a tender port but looking at the pictures would make one believe that it is. We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of HAL's larger ships. Thanks Terry!

YES, Kirk, agree! I think you will like Kotor and this area very much. Don't miss the early morning sail in. Very unique, interesting and inspiring.

On tendering, that seems to be what all of the ships do here. The main dock there in Kotor is not very big and they are fairly new in hosting larger cruise. Maybe that will change in the coming years as larger numbers of ships visit here. Kotor and Montenegro want to grow their tourism economy. For this year and next year, all of the Celebrity cruises visiting Kotor show them as being a tendering.

The distance from where the ships sit and tender docking point is fairly close.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 130,663 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

To added to my posting yesterday on tendering for Kotor in his scenic harbor, below are some added pictures showing where the tender boats dropped those going ashore for Kotor and nearby. Plus, a few other visuals in this area.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 107,197 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are two of my pictures to illustrate how close the Solstice was sitting and near to the docking area where the tender boats dropped off passengers on the way to Kotor. The docking area is show right and right/bottom in these two pictures. Clearly this dock area has to handle other smaller ship and not that large for such bigger ships such as the Solstice.:

KotorTenderDockingAtRight_zps79dfa1e0.jpg

KotorAirViewShipTendering_zpsd13cf9c5.jpg

Here are three additional visuals that I have not posted previously. First, the view from the top of the ship as we are doing the early morning scenic sail-in. Second is a view of the stone hilltop church sitting on the mountain path upward above Kotor's walled city. Third is one of the carved Venice lions dating back to when that empire controlled Kotor and this strategic coastal area.:

KotorEarlyAMSailInOnDeckGroup_zps404570de.jpg

KotorStoneChurchUpMtnOverview_zpsa9c55a64.jpg

KotorVeniceLionWallCarving_zpsa29a0f4e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

Thank you for your wonderful photos and info on Kotor!

On our upcoming Silhouette cruise, we were just going to do a simple walk around town on our own but after seeing your incredible photos of the the port from above, have decided to do the ship's Budva and Kotor excursion(4 hrs). Those photos were taken from Budva, right?

Thanks!

Edited by cadburysmom

Terry, Thank you for your wonderful photos and info on Kotor! On our upcoming Silhouette cruise, we were just going to do a simple walk around town on our own but after seeing your incredible photos of the the port from above, have decided to do the ship's Budva and Kotor excursion(4 hrs). Those photos were taken from Budva, right? Thanks!

Appreciate your nice comments on my photos and Kotor info. YES, getting up above Kotor provides some great views. I would strongly encourage doing more than just walking around Kotor. The picture from up there was not taken from Budva. It was at the top of the zig-zag, back-and-forth road that goes up, up the 4000' high mountain above this scenic location. We went this route on the way to the old Royal capital of Montenegro.

Budva is a nearby shore/fortress city that is over a mountain or two down the coast. Does this help clarify? Added questions?

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 15,409 views on this posting.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

If Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 21,510 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

Thanks for the great pictures and comments on Kotor. We were originally scheduled to stop in Split this July but we got changed to Kotor. The more research I did, the more I liked the change. We are scheduled to do a five hour private tour with some time left in the old town.

I do have a question though, HAL does not have it listed as a tender port but looking at the pictures would make one believe that it is. We are on the Nieuw Amsterdam, one of HAL's larger ships.

Thanks Terry!

Kirk,

We are stopping in Kotor on Oct 23 on the Legend of the Seas. We would like to do a private tour of Kotor and Budva but having trouble finding any. Who are you using for your tour?

Thanks,

Sue

Appreciate your nice comments on my photos and Kotor info. YES, getting up above Kotor provides some great views. I would strongly encourage doing more than just walking around Kotor. The picture from up there was not taken from Budva. It was at the top of the zig-zag, back-and-forth road that goes up, up the 4000' high mountain above this scenic location. We went this route on the way to the old Royal capital of Montenegro.

Budva is a nearby shore/fortress city that is over a mountain or two down the coast. Does this help clarify? Added questions?

Agree. The trip to Budva is fairly flat along the shore. Budva is a beautiful Venetian city. A complete contrast to Kotor.

For 70 Euros, my wife and I were driven in a luxury car to the top of a mountain, well nearly the top! We had to stop and walk the rest as there was deep snow (in late May!). Wonderful views. Mind you it took over an hour each way.

See my review for more details.