Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Father, When we went to Alaska we were told that Ketchikan get lots of rain. I forget what town on our cruise got 132 inches of rain in a year! I loved the museum in Katchikan. The rain coats made by the indians out of animal inners.

LOL!!! Yup!!!

How did you know when to be out on deck for the Seymour Narrows cruising if it is not listed in the daily newsletter?

Right before we took off from Seattle the Captain announced that we would pass through it about 6:30AM dependinf on traffic. I got up at 5:30 and cleaned up a bit and went up to the crows next and watched as we approached the narrows. We went in about 6:10 AM

Himself

Right before we took off from Seattle the Captain announced that we would pass through it about 6:30AM dependinf on traffic. I got up at 5:30 and cleaned up a bit and went up to the crows next and watched as we approached the narrows. We went in about 6:10 AM

Himself

Thanks, I will have to pay close attention or ask if I don't hear. Last time I went through the Narrows, it was about 3:00 a.m. and you couldn't see anything. I don't want to miss it this time.

Father, When we went to Alaska we were told that Ketchikan get lots of rain. I forget what town on our cruise got 132 inches of rain in a year! I loved the museum in Katchikan. The rain coats made by the indians out of animal inners.

They do get a lot of rain at Ketchikan. They have had about 102 inches this year BUT the sun was shining today. I never saw rain there today--Deo Gratias!

Thanks, I will have to pay close attention or ask if I don't hear. Last time I went through the Narrows, it was about 3:00 a.m. and you couldn't see anything. I don't want to miss it this time.

We are very fortunate to be sailing east of Vancouver Island on a cruise out of Seattle! I hope there will be some daylight by 6:30 in early August.

If you miss the captains evening announcement the front desk should be able to tell you what time they project you will go through seymour. You can get the predicted time from this site: ( look for the date you will travel the east side of vancouver- then look for the slack tide time).

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/5757.html

I hope you can use it on a regular system- I'm on my cellphone and it appears I've been diverted to a mobile site. If not, google Seymour narrows tides.

~TC

We are very fortunate to be sailing east of Vancouver Island on a cruise out of Seattle! I hope there will be some daylight by 6:30 in early August.

I am guessing we are on the same cruise from what you wrote. Sunrise will be around 5:30 in the morning. We should have plenty of light.

I am guessing we are on the same cruise from what you wrote. Sunrise will be around 5:30 in the morning. We should have plenty of light.

No, I'll be on the same ship as Himself - the Amsterdam. I'm glad sunrise is that early.

Hi Father,

I pray that your mass was full of PAX. I hope thath the rain stops for your visit.

Father is possiable can you say a pray for my brother Brian. He game to visit me form NYC yesterday and fell on the way up . He hurt his ankle and will be going to the Dr today.

Thank you,

Maria

Himself

Guess it pays to actually listen to the captain on occasion :D. Thanks for keeping us updated on your voyage.

If you miss the captains evening announcement the front desk should be able to tell you what time they project you will go through seymour. You can get the predicted time from this site: ( look for the date you will travel the east side of vancouver- then look for the slack tide time).

http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/5757.html

I hope you can use it on a regular system- I'm on my cellphone and it appears I've been diverted to a mobile site. If not, google Seymour narrows tides.

~TC

Thank you so much!!!! The link worked!! Here is what I found:

2011-08-06 1:41 AM PDT -11.02 knots Max Ebb

2011-08-06 4:08 AM PDT First Quarter

2011-08-06 4:58 AM PDT 0.00 knots Slack, Flood Begins

2011-08-06 5:57 AM PDT Sunrise

2011-08-06 8:10 AM PDT 10.45 knots Max Flood

2011-08-06 11:39 AM PDT -0.01 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

2011-08-06 2:34 PM PDT -7.65 knots Max Ebb

2011-08-06 5:36 PM PDT 0.02 knots Slack, Flood Begins

2011-08-06 8:21 PM PDT 6.53 knots Max Flood

2011-08-06 8:56 PM PDT Sunset

2011-08-06 11:05 PM PDT -0.01 knots Slack, Ebb Begins

So, if I understand you and this chart, the slack time is at 4:58 a.m. With sunrise being an hour later, we may not luck out. :( Is that correct?

So, if I understand you and this chart, the slack time is at 4:58 a.m. With sunrise being an hour later, we may not luck out. :( Is that correct?

That's how it looks to me. However, there is some light before sunrise and after sunset.

Hi Father,

I pray that your mass was full of PAX. I hope thath the rain stops for your visit.

Father is possiable can you say a pray for my brother Brian. He game to visit me form NYC yesterday and fell on the way up . He hurt his ankle and will be going to the Dr today.

Thank you,

Maria

Certaily, Maria--in fact I just did say a prayer fro Brian. I hope it is not too serious and he is on the mend.

You dazzle me with the informartion! One must know when to enter the Seymour Narrows.

Thank you for sharing the inforamtion. I am glad we had some slack the other day as we sailed through the Seymour Narrows. Right now we are heading up to Tracy Arm after having had our first port day in Ketchkan.

Background:

I'm blonde

I've been on CC awhile, but not on the HAL boards much

and

I'm Southern Baptist (we have Pastors and Brothers)

So, I'm reading along and find HIMSELF's post for his cruise. I love live reports...and I'll be on the QM2 next year, so I figure this will be a great thread to follow.

Someone posts: Have a great cruise, Father

Will be boarding in five days

(how sweet, he's checking in with Dad)

Then: have a great cruise, Father

(wow the family that's on CC together, stays together!)

By the time Joanie posted have a great cruise, Father ..... the blonde lightbulb came on.

I read through the next few posts real quick.

Mass. Having a non-denominational service....

DUH

:D :D :D

Certaily, Maria--in fact I just did say a prayer fro Brian. I hope it is not too serious and he is on the mend.

Thank you Father. I took him to the E.R. this AM. The X-ray showed a big break, but it could have been an old break. So they did a Cat scan and it showed it was an old break. Thank you God. It is a very bad sprain and he can't walk very well. Has pain. He need to mend fast for his job.

Thank-you Father for your prayer. I know it helpped.

God bless you and all those who you serve.

P.S. you prayed for him about the time he was getting the Cat-scan!

Maria

Background:

I'm blonde

I've been on CC awhile, but not on the HAL boards much

and

I'm Southern Baptist (we have Pastors and Brothers)

So, I'm reading along and find HIMSELF's post for his cruise. I love live reports...and I'll be on the QM2 next year, so I figure this will be a great thread to follow.

Someone posts: Have a great cruise, Father

Will be boarding in five days

(how sweet, he's checking in with Dad)

Then: have a great cruise, Father

(wow the family that's on CC together, stays together!)

By the time Joanie posted have a great cruise, Father ..... the blonde lightbulb came on.

I read through the next few posts real quick.

Mass. Having a non-denominational service....

DUH

:D :D :D

Too funny! I also wasn't aware that Himself was a priest...until several people called him "Father"! :D

VBmom:

I just pulled my notebook from our adventure last year. (oh what memories!)

We went through Seymour on August 10 of last year. Our slack tide time was 05:44 per that website and that was also the time the captain told us we would pass through the evening before. I don't see a note for that day as to when sunrise was, but I can tell you it was light enough to see. We remained on deck for hours. I did take some pictures after we passed Seymour and the shutter was very long and the aperture was open as wide as it would go.

Civil twilight will be about 45 minutes before sunrise.

The whirling pools were visible along much of the passage.

Archived