Books to read on Hawaii Cruise

Deb in Markham

Hi,

When we cruised the Caribbean out of Florida, someone recommended I read Carl Hiaasen and Caribbean by James Michener. It was fun reading something "topical".

Does anyone have any suggestions for Hawaii? We've got four fabulous days at sea going and another four fabulous sea days coming back. Can't wait!

I would love to hear any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

I'd highly recommed any Michener book before visiting an area that is the subject of his books. His historical books using fictionalized characters covers a lot of material in a 'relativly' short book. If you care to enjoy the same story about Hawaii using actual participants & completely historically accurate, I'd recommend "Shoal of Time" by Gavan Daws. Either book may be too long to read onboard so you may consider reading some of it before leaving home. Then you could decide if you want to finish the book on your choice. Either book is a great history of Hawaii & you can choose the type of book you prefer...fictionalized characters or actual people...your choice.

My newest favourite after Michener's "Hawaii" is Alan Brennert's book MOLOKA’I ! It's the story of a little girl who is diagnosed with leprosy (Hansen's Disease) and is quarantined to Kalaupapa. I could not put this book down!!

Wow--thanks! Lots of great suggestions.

I should have noted that I already have Michener's Hawaii enroute to me from Amazon. Lots of other great suggestions though. I'll start now and may make my way through some of them between now and our cruise date in October. The rest I can take along!

Mahalo!!

One book I really enjoyed was "The Islands" by Di Morrissey. Easy reading novel - mainly about Kauai. I would love to be able to visit Hanapepe...she made it sound really cute and arty.....but doubt that I will have time to include this little town during our quick stay - too many other things to do!

Another of my favourite books is "Hives in Paradise" by Midge Hill Mebane. It is a self published book and only available (I think) from Basically Books in Hilo....

I love the Charlie Chan series by Earl Derr Biggers....Cherie

You can also find Earl Derr Biggers' first novel, Seven Keys to Baldpate, also dealing with 1920s Hawaii, on Google Books -- it's a great mystery! If I get a chance, I'd love to go to the Honolulu Police Department museum and see the exhibit on Chang Apana, the inspiration for Charlie Chan.

You can also find Earl Derr Biggers' first novel, Seven Keys to Baldpate, also dealing with 1920s Hawaii, on Google Books -- it's a great mystery! If I get a chance, I'd love to go to the Honolulu Police Department museum and see the exhibit on Chang Apana, the inspiration for Charlie Chan.

We have now put "Seven Keys to Baldpate" on our list to read. Thank you so much for the info. We have never been in the Honolulu Police Dept museum but always comment on the old building and Charlie Chan's adventures when we see it. Cherie

Here are 4 books that are very entertaining

Oahu Revealed

Hawaii Revealed

Maui Revealed

Kuai Revealed

I second these books! I got them just before our first cruise to Hawaii, and they are

so informative. We used the Maui Revealed when we rented a car and did the road to

Hana on our own. It had so much information. Very useful. Best tourguide we

could find! :D :D

Archived