Can you bring a table top fan?

pampaul

Just wondering if they say anything to you for bringing a fan on a cruise? I'm willing to bring an extra suitcase just for the fan if need be. LOL

1--the cabin never seems to get cold enough for us and using the fan will help out some

2--I NEED noise in order to sleep and sleep year-round with a fan going just to hear the noise.

So let me know if you've had luck with bringing a fan onboard. And if you know of a good LOUD fan (that would fit in a suitcase lol) please let me know. Thanks!!!

. And if you know of a good LOUD fan (that would fit in a suitcase lol) please let me know. Thanks!!!

I ditched the fan idea many years ago- just was not worth the weight for flying. I now carry a clam shell type noise machine. It makes the same noise and I can turn it as loud or low as I want. It has timers but I wake up as soon as it turned off so I got another with unlimited hours. Works like a charm. Amazon has many types- I got mine for like 20 bucks

Since Carnival implemented no house hold items I would leave the fan at home- sry

Is it really necessary to lug a fan with you? Most of the cabins are cool enough you just can't have all the covers on.

Also the ships create plenty of noise on its own. It is a moving vessel.

You should give it a try before hauling all this stuff with you, its only for a few days. I bet you will manage fine.

I never understood why so many people need special aids just to sleep(pills, fans, background noise, nightlites, C pap,).

I always thought if your active, you will be tired and sleep....

Is it really necessary to lug a fan with you? Most of the cabins are cool enough you just can't have all the covers on.

You should give it a try before hauling all this stuff with you, its only for a few days. I bet you will manage fine.

I never understood why so many people need special aids just to sleep(pills, fans, background noise, nightlites, C pap,).

While I agree with most what you said, you clearly do not understand a CPAP. That is a medically prescribed device and it is not a choice that very many people would make if they had other options. It can literally save a life, so before you make comments about things make sure you know what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you absolutely need to bring a fan, I suggest a small battery-operated one. Much less chance of getting it confiscated.

If you have a smart-phone there are some noise-machine apps that are pretty good. Just be sure to keep your phone in airplane mode so you don't get excess data pushed through and come home to a ginormous bill!:D

While I agree with most what you said, you clearly do not understand a CPAP. That is a medically prescribed device and it is not a choice that very many people would make if they had other options. It can literally save a life, so before you make comments about things make sure you know what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most folks who use a CPap probably wouldn't need them if they just lost some weight. At least in the patients I have seen.

I, too, thought as you do when I was in my young 20s, 30s, 40s, but then, in the 50s, things changed. I call it life cycle stuff--- rouge teens, non-launched adult kids, menopause, sick elderly parents, aging bodies, all rob sleep and/or cause sleep disturbance (also called sleep maintenance). Night sweats makes need for a fan, sleep aid to quiet racing thoughts to go to sleep. CPAP is a health matter. So to each their own. I found my CCL cabin cool enough, but I didn't sail in heat of summer. Hope this helps someone.

Most folks who use a CPap probably wouldn't need them if they just lost some weight. At least in the patients I have seen.

The same can be said for many diabetics - but again, there are plenty of exceptions.

Tom

Being overweight is a risk factor for sleep apnoea. So is being male, drinking alcohol, being older. However, as a young, healthy weight, non-drinking woman who has sleep apnoea and requires a CPAP, I would really like you to keep your judgemental opinion to yourself.

You try having a life threatening illness, and then tell me how it feels to have it's treatment dismissed as an annoying quirk.

BTW sleep apnoea is nothing to do with not being tired and having trouble falling asleep. It is to do with falling asleep, and ceasing to breathe, thus waking up exhausted. the body deals with the stress of insufficient oxygen by waking you up, but it also puts massive stress on the heart and over time causes serious health problems. Taking a CPAP to use on a holiday is as sensible as an asthmatic taking ventolin, or someone with hypertension taking blood pressure medication. Doctor's orders. Do you reall yhtink so many people would bother if it was just a preference?

I agree but until they do lose the weight (and of course the non stop food on a cruise doesn't help) these are necessities, not luxuries.

Yes, you can bring one. We do on every sailing, PLUS a sound machine.

Just make sure it's in good operating condition ("like new").

75434860_4u9Qy-M.jpg

Tom

This is the exact model we'll be taking, makes loads of wind and a nice lull-you-to-sleep drone! Fits in the suitcase very well too :).

This is the exact model we'll be taking, makes loads of wind and a nice lull-you-to-sleep drone! Fits in the suitcase very well too :).

Oddly, about a year ago, the "new improved" model was touting something like "now 30% quieter". I was thinking NOOOOO, don't do that!! :D

Tom

I understand your need for a fan because I use one year round. I am a light sleeper, so any little noise wakes me up. I am also always hot. It can be the dead of winter and below zero outside and I will still be hot at night. However, I do find that I can get the cabin cold enough and combine that with the noise machines that where mentioned, I sleep fairly well on a cruise

This attitude makes me feel sick.

A C Pap is for people who stop breathing in their sleep...apnea...

It can be more common in heavy people, but weight is not necessarily a factor.

It keeps the airway open and helps to prevent carbon dioxide from building up.

My mom was in a rehab that failed to put her C Pap on her for about five nights.

Carbon dioxide built up and she had a heart attack as a result.

She was in the CVICU for three weeks and in the hospital much longer as a result of such ignorance.

Just wondering if they say anything to you for bringing a fan on a cruise? I'm willing to bring an extra suitcase just for the fan if need be. LOL

1--the cabin never seems to get cold enough for us and using the fan will help out some

2--I NEED noise in order to sleep and sleep year-round with a fan going just to hear the noise.

So let me know if you've had luck with bringing a fan onboard. And if you know of a good LOUD fan (that would fit in a suitcase lol) please let me know. Thanks!!!

Yes..my aunt takes one everytime she goes. Like others have said just make sure it is in good working condition or it might be considered a hazard and confinscated.

i found a small 5 inch fan by "o2" in walmart, takes 2 d batteries $6 bucks. they sell a larger one at ace hardware online, but it takes 8 d batteries! :eek: i'd love to bring a bigger fan but it might get confiscated. i'm hoping the cabin won't be so warm this time.. the ac didn't seem to work very well.

Wow... this went over as well as the DVD in the MDR. Perhaps if some folks spent less time worrying about everything else others are doing, maybe they'd learn to enjoy life a little and stop being so crabby to everyone. ;)

If you want to bring a fan, bring it! I may bring a small one because I do have a toddler and I do not want hallway noise disturbing her. I think she will sleep more peaceful.

And for the record, I will be in the MDR with her every single night of my cruise. :p

If you want to bring a fan, bring it! I may bring a small one because I do have a toddler and I do not want hallway noise disturbing her. I think she will sleep more peaceful.

Yep - the doors on some ships are paper thin (based on how easy sound travels through them... and the vent/louvers don't help)!

... Perhaps if some folks spent less time worrying about everything else others are doing, maybe they'd learn to enjoy life a little and stop being so crabby to everyone. ;)

I try, more and more as time passes, to not be critical of what others do which may seem "odd" to me. I think that there are many here that feel there is only one "correct" way to do things, and it just so happens to be their way! :rolleyes:

Tom

And for the record, I will be in the MDR with her every single night of my cruise. :p

Oh, no! Toddlers cannot eat in the MDR, since they have less of a right to than people who are above the age of 6! [/sarcasm]

Anyway, I am a teenager, very healthy, and I do have sleeping problems. I see where you are coming from in needing a fan to sleep, as I have to have music on or else I will not fall asleep. If you are not flying by air, then you are lucky, as it is one less suitcase, but just hope they don't confiscate it for you. Maybe leave a note on the suitcase/on the fan, saying why you need it. They may not take it then?

WOW! I am constantly surprised on this board by incredibly judgemental and ignorant people! :eek:

If you don't want to answer the OP's question just click on another thread. :rolleyes:

*****Yes you can bring on a fan in good working order.

See how easy that is???? :)

Technically a fan is a house hold item (the plug in kind) and Carnival has every right to confiscate it if they feel that it is pulling too much electricity or if the cords are unsafe. I too got a battery operated fan, creates noise and moves air. And I packed it up for our last cruise to the Bahamas, in December of last year, really hoping to use it, and it was so cold on the first night of our cruise that we received double blankets( no heat ya know) and that fan never went on! I do use it at outdoor concerts and still plan to take it with us on our next two cruises.:)

Technically a fan is a house hold item (the plug in kind) and Carnival has every right to confiscate it if they feel that it is pulling too much electricity or if the cords are unsafe. I too got a battery operated fan, creates noise and moves air. And I packed it up for our last cruise to the Bahamas, in December of last year, really hoping to use it, and it was so cold on the first night of our cruise that we received double blankets( no heat ya know) and that fan never went on! I do use it at outdoor concerts and still plan to take it with us on our next two cruises.:)

Though what's "not" a household appliance? Would they rather have a SHOP appliance? :eek:

Yes, they can take pretty much anything from anyone and hide behind their policies. That's their right. Though doing it too often, or to the wrong people (when it's really not justified) will bring them bad press. I have seen to that myself... LOL

Tom

WOW! I am constantly surprised on this board by incredibly judgemental and ignorant people! :eek:

If you don't want to answer the OP's question just click on another thread. :rolleyes:

HOORAY!! I agree. I guess they do not realize they are the ones who look bad, not the OP...... It's sad when you can't ask a question.... Who cares why they need/don't need it, they didn't ask our opinion, they just asked if they could carry one onboard.

Archived