Attire for Masquerade Ball and Formal

2old4this

I just received our booklet and luggage tags for our e/b 5 September voyage of QM2. While reading through the materials I see one masquerade ball followed by the dress code, formal. Many of you have done the TA and I seek your observations as to what attire do people wear as part of the masquerade while staying within the formal requirement? Does the black and white requirement hold? We are eager to participate in such things but are at a loss as to what to bring. Jack Morris

I just received our booklet and luggage tags for our e/b 5 September voyage of QM2. While reading through the materials I see one masquerade ball followed by the dress code, formal. Many of you have done the TA and I seek your observations as to what attire do people wear as part of the masquerade while staying within the formal requirement? Does the black and white requirement hold? We are eager to participate in such things but are at a loss as to what to bring. Jack Morris

If you want to wear a mask, do so but most don't. No need to do anything else until after dinner. B & W means just that, a B & W frock or similar but don't get too carried away as most people don't really do very much at all.

If you want to wear a mask, do so but most don't. No need to do anything else until after dinner. B & W means just that, a B & W frock or similar but don't get too carried away as most people don't really do very much at all.

Thanks! I thought as much. It would seem difficult to do a truly masquerade and remain black and white formal at the same time. Why, then, is there such a thing on the schedule? Perhaps you can tell me why Cunard even makes this a possibility. Jack Morris

Thanks! I thought as much. It would seem difficult to do a truly masquerade and remain black and white formal at the same time. Why, then, is there such a thing on the schedule? Perhaps you can tell me why Cunard even makes this a possibility. Jack Morris

I have found that sometimes they do have a really good masquerade ball, you would be better asking on the roll call for others who may join in, they do sell masks in the shops and people do bring there own masks, I have found that the ball is early and people from early dinner go more than lae dinner, the black and white ball is a different night and I have many people enjoy this ball, all men are in B?W and it easy for the ladies to do the same,

we were on a wonderful TA and caribbean cruise not long ago and many , many people had wonderful masks, so even if a few do it or many go and have fun

The operative word here is "Ball." Some passengers wear masks for the dancing in the Queen's Room after dinner but they are not a requirement. The Queen's Room is decorated with banners and sometimes balloons to make it more festive. It's just Cunard's way of making the nightly dance time a little bit different and giving you an option of something to add to your formal wear.

The operative word here is "Ball." Some passengers wear masks for the dancing in the Queen's Room after dinner but they are not a requirement. The Queen's Room is decorated with banners and sometimes balloons to make it more festive. It's just Cunard's way of making the nightly dance time a little bit different and giving you an option of something to add to your formal wear.

These responses from all of you makes me want to stow a mask in with my luggage. Until a few minutes ago I was willing to appreciate the good times of others while sitting aside. Now I think the mask addition appears much more than a gimmick and an opportunity to make for a better evening.

Do any of you have pictures of past masquerades? If so, this forum might be a great place to share them. Jack Morris

These responses from all of you makes me want to stow a mask in with my luggage. Until a few minutes ago I was willing to appreciate the good times of others while sitting aside. Now I think the mask addition appears much more than a gimmick and an opportunity to make for a better evening.

Do any of you have pictures of past masquerades? If so, this forum might be a great place to share them. Jack Morris

This video from the "We Are Cunard" Video Collection may be helpful.

Cunard Royal Nights Themed Balls

Regards,

John.

Hi

You are on vacation and so, enjoy yourself!

I pack a mask for every Cunard cruise, and enjoy being part of the Parade of the guests with masks. After several cruises, my husband said that the "Parade" looks like fun and he will bring one on our next trip!

The Ascot Ball is also enjoyable, viewing all the hats. Some are made on board and some are brought from home. I bring one from home on each trip. Buy a hat that is marked "packable" and they do rolll up and travel well. I usually decorate it at home to match my dress. Yes, there are gentlemen participating in the Ascot Ball! (and they seem to be having more fun than the ladies)

If you have late seating, you do have to make an effort to leave the table early enough to get to the ballroom. The "Parade" and any special games or dancing only lasts about 15/20 minutes. On our last b2b, we had late seating the first segment and almost missed all the fun. We changed to early seating the second segment and it was nice not to rush to the Ball Room.

Any questions email me: Eventschair@aol.com, Message: Cunard Balls

Lorraine:)

Normally a tux is on order for formal nights. A good dark suit is fine as well. For masquarad, purchase a mask for a novelty store & bring it with you. The masks for purchase on board are usually pretty cheesy & very expensive. Get the mask from the movie "V" for Vendetta & you'll really stand out!! Probably clear the room in fact!

Normally a tux is on order for formal nights. A good dark suit is fine as well. For masquarad, purchase a mask for a novelty store & bring it with you. The masks for purchase on board are usually pretty cheesy & very expensive. Get the mask from the movie "V" for Vendetta & you'll really stand out!! Probably clear the room in fact!

Keithm - I just 'pulled up' the Vendetta set of wig, hat and mask and I think all that black along with my tux will do me just fine at the dance. Outstanding suggestion, and thanks for the pointer. Jack Morris

Hi

You are on vacation and so, enjoy yourself!

I pack a mask for every Cunard cruise, and enjoy being part of the Parade of the guests with masks. After several cruises, my husband said that the "Parade" looks like fun and he will bring one on our next trip!

The Ascot Ball is also enjoyable, viewing all the hats. Some are made on board and some are brought from home. I bring one from home on each trip. Buy a hat that is marked "packable" and they do rolll up and travel well. I usually decorate it at home to match my dress. Yes, there are gentlemen participating in the Ascot Ball! (and they seem to be having more fun than the ladies)

If you have late seating, you do have to make an effort to leave the table early enough to get to the ballroom. The "Parade" and any special games or dancing only lasts about 15/20 minutes. On our last b2b, we had late seating the first segment and almost missed all the fun. We changed to early seating the second segment and it was nice not to rush to the Ball Room.

Any questions email me: Eventschair@aol.com, Message: Cunard Balls

Lorraine:)

Lorraine - More great tips and many thanks to you. We have early seating from the start on both voyages to and from Southampton. This forum has been totally positive and helpful and mind changing. I am so much more prepared now for what I expect to thoroughly enjoy in September. Jack Morris

It's called a Guy Fawkes mask, and it was history ripped off to accommodate a comic book made into a film.

PortOffPort - I have ordered the Guy Fawkes mask minus the hat and wig. I viewed the Cunard video on evening events and the masquerade ball and didn't see a man on the floor wearing more than a face mask. I shall not wear more either. And the mask I have chosen ought to go well with the blackness of the tux. Jack Morris

Archived