Is this dishonest?

kme

This is easy.

It is your friend.

Get 2 cabins and if you dont get a cabin for 3 you and your friend share one cabin and your girl friend and daughter share the other.

Since your friend is the one saving money let them pay for the difference between a 3rd passenger rate and double occupancy rate. They will still be saving money over the single rate.

Technically you are not paying a penalty for traveling single, you are paying the rate for the cabin. When booking a cruise on X website they quote cabin rate. The 3rd person supplement is to cover the non cabin expenses such as food, entertainment, processing, waste disposal, towels, and etc.

On a previous cruise, we were encouraged to book 2+2 by the onboard FCC when trying to book our aupair. Our DD was 7 mos old and was sleeping in our cabin, but we were told that we would save some money by booking this way. I'm not sure exactly what the corporate stand on this is, but apparently it's standard practice with customer service personnel. I truly think is a non-issue.

Lsimon - that was actually the Halloween cruise back in 2006 that you were on. I remember you and your wife. I gotta dig through the old pics, but I remember a pic with your wife and my DD at the martini bar. :)

Rich

The travel agent is Celebrity's agent and has a responsibility to represent Celebrity while providing customer service, on Celebrity's behalf, to their customers.

If either the travel agent or Celebrity says this is OK then do it.

It is not at all dishonest if it is something they allow. but I'd do it with full disclosure. Do this by getting something in writing from either Celebrity or the TA indicating that you may change the sleeping configuration after boarding to 3 in one cabin and that the cabin you are booking can accommodate this. Besides, if you don't get this in writing then you chance being very disappointed if, after boarding, they say they can't vary the number in each cabin from the original booking.

In my opinion, it just isn't worth doing this without a clear advance understanding. Some here seem to feel that there wouldn't be any issue making this switch after you are on board, but how do you know that for sure? While it is likely that you wouldn't run into any issues I don't think you'd want to take that chance. So get it in writing and if they refuse then book, and pay, for what you really want.

You don't have to get it writing and it is not dishonest. The cruise line does not care. I have done it several times, it was like with the others, suggested by a travel agent. It is done all the time when there are solos in groups. We did not hide it. After getting on board went to the pursers desk and told them who would be in what room so the onboard accounts and sign and sail cards would be right. Also told the cabin attendant. They accommodated us every time without issue. Of course if the other person is uncomfortable doing it they then they should not do it. I was nervous the first time we did it until onboard and found for sure they did not have any issue with it. Have done it again a few times.

Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts on the tips very well. By the way, PartyAll, I'm completely with you -- what you have planned has definitely been okay'd by the line. But here's what I see in regard to the OP's question

Room 1 -- booked for two people, steward gets two tips, but there are three people there.

Room 2 -- booked for two people, steward gets two tips, but there is only one person there.

Room 1's steward isn't going to be very happy.

Unless the two rooms are adjacent and the same steward services both rooms, in which case, it's a wash.

Ah. That makes sense. I was going on the assumption that they'd be adjacent or at least nearby, so would have the same steward.

If they have different stewards, and unless they have to prepay tips because of Select dining, they could have the autotip adjusted. If they do prepay, it would be fair to give the steward who has to deal with the third person something extra. With the amount they'd be saving, it would still be a bargain.

I'm a stickler for honesty and have actually gone back to a store to return a 3 cent undercharge, but I don't see this as dishonest.

The Celebrity TA'a themselves are suggesting this; they are still getting paid for four people, though maybe (not sure from your post) slightly less than if the single booked by themselves.

It's not that much different than being 'dishonest' because we only paid $799 for our balcony cabin on a 13 night cruise recently, while others paid much more--we just booked late and 'took advantage' of a sale. You're just booking to take advantage of a better fare and your sleeping arrangements should be your private concern.

I would figure out the tips though so that it's fair to both (if there are two) stewards.

Many, many years ago (eleven, to be exact) there were 4 of us traveling. We were 3 adults and 1 senior. We had two cabins, one a FV (Family veranda) and a standard outside. In reality, the senior was sharing the FV with two of the adults, with the 3rd adult (non-senior) occupying the standard outside cabin as a solo. Since there was a senior rate on the standard outside, our TA suggested we "book" the senior into that cabin, and the other 3 adults into the FV and then have two of the key cards switched at Guest Relations once on board. We did exactly that...no problem...no questions...no nothing. Celebrity got the revenue for 3 adults and 1 senior, which matched the make up of our party. Obviously they couldn't care less who truly ended up sleeping with who! ;)

The only issue I see with this is if you don't book a cabin for 3 you wont get one, so where does she sleep? Sounds like the single wants a room to herself. Double bed, 3 people = not going to work

The original post notes that current booking is for a cabin for 3. I think they should be OK. :)

Rich

Regardless of the resolution, it's impressive that posters engage this ethical issue and discuss the pros and cons. It's refreshing that a simple "what would be in it for me" position has been notably lacking.

I've never seen where a third passenger sharing the same cabin pays the same as the first two passengers. I think you need to double check that...it doesn't sound right.

Jo-Ann

You're correct. 3rd passanger does pay less. The other cabin to be booked is going to be cheapest balcony available, keeping the price for the 16 yr old the same whether we claim her in our cabin or not (within a $100)

My biggest concern isn't for the cruiseline itself, but as previously mentioned, the cabin stewards and fairness in tipping. I'll make it very worthwile for the steward making up the couch/bed for the "unexpected" 3rd passanger in our cabin.

Looking forward to trying Celebrity after being a diehard HAL fan.

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.

Hi----I always thought that a TA was your agent that you have hired to represent you with a cruise line--principal /agent is complicated ---like a real estate agent that in most states represents the seller whether you are the buyer or seller--

Hi----I always thought that a TA was your agent that you have hired to represent you with a cruise line--principal /agent is complicated ---like a real estate agent that in most states represents the seller whether you are the buyer or seller--

As far as real estate agents are licenced and regulated. Here in Maryland we have buyers agents who represent the buyer and don't represent the seller. At a sale there will typically be a buyers agent and a sellers agent who split the commission. You could do it with only a sellers agent but I would not do that.

As far as travel agents they are not licenced in most states, I always use one. It took me trial and error to find travel agents who do good for me as the buyer. The ones I use now are always looking to get me the best deal and will get the fare lowered if the price is reduced. They also know how to play the system in my favor. They are not all like that. This situation is playing the system. I don't think Travel Agents would suggest it if it was an issue. As I said if the other person does not feel comfortable doing it they should decline. From my own experience don't seem to have any issue with it onboard and if there are auto tips like on some cruise lines they have even set that up correctly.

It is business and all about getting the best deal you can. Do you think the company feels dishonest when they determine their significant markup beyond the actual cost of the cabin? They will make more than enough money to cover their costs however you book it.

Archived