Age discrimination on RCCL excursions!

That's really an intelligent response.

I'm 64 and I would hate to be told I can't do an excursion because of my age especially if I feel I am up to it. After reading about various excursions I have yet to see one I couldn't do.

You know, I'm 66 and I'd really be upset if I wasn't allowed to go snorkeling, of all things. It's not exactly strenuous exercise.

I bet I'm a much better swimmer and in better shape than most 30 years younger; I do call that discrimination. I snorkeled (with a private company) last winter at 65 and I plan on doing it as long as possible, even if it's not on an excursion.

I understand that 'some' people that age might have problems, but so might quite a few under 65.

If this is all insurance related (which I assume it is), it's a shame.

According to her past posts, she usually takes private excursions anyway.

Call me puzzled.

(and she made the same complaint about Celebrity).

Do I get a "Sherlock-way-to-go" Award, too? ;))

Just for you..:p

holmes.gif

I'm 64 and I would hate to be told I can't do an excursion because of my age especially if I feel I am up to it. After reading about various excursions I have yet to see one I couldn't do.

None of that make your suggested solution to the issue any more feasible.

According to her past posts, she usually takes private excursions anyway.

Call me puzzled.

(and she made the same complaint about Celebrity).

Do I get a "Sherlock-way-to-go" Award, too? ;))

Of course you do, MM! :D

OP may just be upset on general principles. None of us (especially moi :rolleyes:) wants to be reminded that they are getting older. :eek:

I wonder if the original poster complains when she gets the age 55 discount?

Of course you do, MM! :D

OP may just be upset on general principles. None of us (especially moi :rolleyes:) wants to be reminded that they are getting older. :eek:

But there is that 55+ discount to keep you smiling!

You know, I'm 66 and I'd really be upset if I wasn't allowed to go snorkeling, of all things. It's not exactly strenuous exercise.

I bet I'm a much better swimmer and in better shape than most 30 years younger; I do call that discrimination. I snorkeled (with a private company) last winter at 65 and I plan on doing it as long as possible, even if it's not on an excursion.

I understand that 'some' people that age might have problems, but so might quite a few under 65.

If this is all insurance related (which I assume it is), it's a shame.

IF you lie about your age it will be on you. But then again you have to sign a waiver. So no law suite. Let's all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

IF you lie about your age it will be on you. But then again you have to sign a waiver. So no law suite. Let's all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

I never lie about my age and I sure wouldn't to 'get around' an age requirement, however stupid. I'd just find someone who would take me. But I'd sure be willing to sign a waiver.

Yeah, Caribbean here we come--in the winter, that is.

Well, I have seen some stupid parents who not hesitate to do inappropriate exursions for their children.

How true; I once say a guide TOSS a baby to his father floating away in a tube down a fairly rapid river in Belize--and I'm talking a non-walking baby. That was a ship excursion and was total chaos.

We were on a private excursion with one guide for every 6 people, felt totally safe and protected. The ship tour had about 3 'guides' for 30 people.

When a young woman (35-40) didn't like her DR companions and requested another table of younger people a little old lady (not me), said "don't worry dear old age isn't contagious,you will get it on your own." You might as well accept it and enjoy each stage of life because it aint gonna go away. How can you blame the excursion people when we live in such a sue happy world? Don't tell me sign a waiver, there are lawyers that would just laugh at that piece of paper.

Now they also want to exclude those with diabetes on snrokle tours. I have snorkled for years with no problems.

I did several snorkeling excursions in March and never once did I hear anything about issues with diabetics participating. Perhaps it is because I am a Type I but still, there was one excursion we were on where we anchored off shore and they took us to shore on a dingy for lunch. I forgot my insulin on the boat and was immediately taken back to the boat to get it. Never was there concern about me participating in the snorkeling as a diabetic. Maybe some operators are afraid of a hypoglycemic episode while snorkeling but really, how dangerous is that? It is not like you are doing scuba!

Specific example, San Juan PR, you must be under 60 to do the Segway tour.

Wow!! That's too bad, it's one of THE BEST tours I've ever been on. Segway's are a blast and on this tour you get to see so much more of San Juan than on others and it's fun too. I didn't know it had an age limit...must be new because when I was on it two years ago there was a couple with us that were clearly over 60...

Specific example, San Juan PR, you must be under 60 to do the Segway tour.
There is also one with a 65 age limit for what it is worth.

I did a little looking around -- there are really very few with maximum ages. Even some of the most "adventuorous" excursions don't have maximums. Segway tours seem to be one of the tours that come up with maximum age limits. Not sure I understand why -- segways don't seem all that dangerous to me. Of course if the head of the company can kill himself by driving his over a cliff and into a river [he was 62 at the time], maybe it is more involved than it appears.

Anyway, there are so few that have max ages that is seems like much ado about very little to me. I may change my mind once I get maxed out on something I want to do.

Edited to add: I looked at a private Segway tour in San Juan. It appears to have no age restriction and is cheaper than the ships excursion.

I do think a maximum age limit is unfair. I'm only 46, but I'm sure that there are men and women out there who have 20 years on me and are in better physical condition than me. And I'm not in bad shape. Would it be a better, or more fair, solution to ask participants over 65 to sign a waiver? That would allow people to make the decision for themsleves, advise them of the specific risks they would be taking, and release the company from responsibility. Just a thought.

Archived