To Lounge or not to Lounge?

JimandStan

What I am looking for in the Main Lounge is...  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What I am looking for in the Main Lounge is...

• A Nightclub, shows are ok, but dancing is my life
    • A comfy two level lounge, I sit more than I watch or dance.
    • A true Proscenium theater, the show is the thing
    • A theater with table seating, if that means a balcony, so be it

The comments about the Marina Lounge were so disparate, that I thought that a poll would better describe what we were hoping for:

Was it

NA%20Ritz-Carlton%20Room.jpg

Selection 1 : A nightclub

183553.jpg

Selection 2: An Entertainment lounge with table seating throughout

img_MainstageE.jpg

Selection 3: a Theater

rotvritz.jpg

Selection 4: A theater with table seating (even if some of us have to sit in the balcony),

Interesting thread. In my mind (what is left of it...), a "lounge" is a place with tables, a bar, and maybe a small stage for a small band or piano player. A "theater" or "main showroom" is a larger, perhaps two-level, room with a large stage for broadway type shows. In the later I prefer banquets with small tables or chairs and tables.

Having never been on an Oceania ship yet, I'm not sure what to expect on Riviera.

We think a multi-storeyed, well tiered theatre with a performance stage, good sound and light effects, and small tables in front of the well spaced seats for snacks and drinks, (Las Vegas style) such as the theatres on the Silver Shadow/Whisper will be desirable.

I think because many people have expressed a desire for better shows, they tried for a theater but something got lost in the translation. I personally never saw anything wrong with the Lounge on the R ships with the big exception that the chairs were the most uncomfortable chairs I have ever sat on. I thought the seats on the Marina in the "Lounge/Theater" were actually worse than the chairs on the R ships. And using that room for Trivia, was most inconvenient but we all made the best of it.

Anyway, there's certainly no changing it now and I doubt that the Riviera is going to be any different, so let's all make the best of it and enjoy the new entertainment. I thought the new troupe had some very good shows and very nice costumes. I thoroughly enjoyed their entertainment.

Bobi

I like the R-ship type lounge

The Marina is more a theater type seating...

I agree. Maybe like the R-ships, but just larger. Actually, we went to the show almost every night on the Marina, and it was never full. Half-full at the most. My husband said he was embarrassed for the entertainers a few of the nights. Maybe seating like the R-ships and a balcony in case it was ever needed.

I agree. Maybe like the R-ships, but just larger. Actually, we went to the show almost every night on the Marina, and it was never full. Half-full at the most. My husband said he was embarrassed for the entertainers a few of the nights. Maybe seating like the R-ships and a balcony in case it was ever needed.

I suppose that attendance at the shows varies greatly dependent on the itinerary and the entertainers.

Our last Marina cruise (chosen more to experience the ship than for the itinerary) had the Platters (or what is left of them) performing several shows.

0_0_0_0_607_343_csupload_24225766.jpg?u=2184758578

The famous name proved to be a very powerful draw, and the showroom was literally standing room only for their first two performances.

It was the only time that I ever saw the far rear of the auditorium occupied.

024227.jpg

I suppose that attendance at the shows varies greatly dependent on the itinerary and the entertainers.

Our last Marina cruise (chosen more to experience the ship than for the itinerary) had the Platters (or what is left of them) performing several shows.

I think that was an exception for their 2nd cruise of the Marina

they had NOTHING close to that type of entertainment on the 3rd voyage

Unless you consider Rory & Murphy the wonder dog ...great:eek:

A new low for Oceania IMO

I think that was an exception for their 2nd cruise of the Marina

they had NOTHING close to that type of entertainment on the 3rd voyage

Unless you consider Rory & Murphy the wonder dog ...great:eek:

A new low for Oceania IMO

IMHO they were testing the waters to see how a big name act would play in that showroom, and our cruise just happened to be the one where the schedule worked.

I for one hope that they will not be getting bigger names, at least not on the port intensive cruises that I mostly sail. After a long day of touring, and a lovely dinner with wine, I can hardly keep my eyes open long enough to "lift a few" in Martinis, never mind sitting through a show in a dark room.

sleep460.jpg I just know that I'd be out like a light, and that IS rude to the performers.

IMHO they were testing the waters to see how a big name act would play in that showroom, and our cruise just happened to be the one where the schedule worked.

I for one hope that they will not be getting bigger names, at least not on the port intensive cruises that I mostly sail. After a long day of touring, and a lovely dinner with wine, I can hardly keep my eyes open long enough to "lift a few" in Martinis, never mind sitting through a show in a dark room.

It would be nice to have the choice;)

The excellent enrichment lecturer Terry Bishop really packed them in, especially after the first one or two and his reputation spread.

There was one category missing from the options to describe the Marina Lounge.

An auditorium.

To my mind this describes a venue designed to gather people for functions in a basic atmosphere.

To me a theater implies cushioned seats with refined decor. Definitely not what the Marina Lounge delivers.

There was one category missing from the options to describe the Marina Lounge.

An auditorium.

To my mind this describes a venue designed to gather people for functions in a basic atmosphere.

To me a theater implies cushioned seats with refined decor. Definitely not what the Marina Lounge delivers.

Yes, with the pullout "writing tables" it does remeind me of a lecture hall in college or an auditorium. But the difference is you can get an alcoholic beverage here. Of course, it's been awhile since I was in college and who knows what you can get there now...many lectures are remote so I suppose you can drink what you want!

Those little desks in the arm rests were put there not to make it convenient for us but to make it possible for them to sell drinks.

You guys are a tough crowd!:)

Actually, I just realized that my positive views of the Marina Lounge differ from so many of you because I would rather eat than drink my calories, so I visit the Marina Lounge solely for the entertainment (whether it be the nightly show, trivia or the enrichment lecture) and never have used it to "lounge".

Those little desks in the arm rests were put there not to make it convenient for us but to make it possible for them to sell drinks.

Well......yeah. It's not like Oceania is a group of volunteers dedicated to the movement of American tourists throughout the world.

All of these companies are in business to make money........

What is the alternative?

001203.jpg

I have voiced my opinion on this before, and after reading through this thread, I feel compelled to again state my complete disappointment with

the Marina Lounge... (as well as several other aspects of the Marina...)

The lounge is a total joke... I don't know which designer sold them this bill

of goods.. but it really should be ripped apart during dry dock and totally

rebuilt.

Aside from creating a most un-welcoming atmosphere, the "lounge" is an oppressive space to be in.. The ceiling is unusually low....the seating is horrendous and the decor is dismal.

On an equal par... I also can't quite comprehend that with all of the un-

employed talent that is around, Oceania can't manage to assemble a team of singers and dances that can actually entertain! On my recent cruise, the singers were god-awful and the dancers appeared like wind up dolls.

Every number they performed had the same three moves...

I don't expect any "name" entertainment.. but surely there is a vast pool

of true talent out there that could be hired......

I HOPE that the powers that be at Oceania do something about the design of the Marina Lounge on the Riviera and not repeat their blatant mistakes...

Obviously, but it won't work for them in our case, because we absolutely won't use the little armrest tables, so we won't buy a drink, either. And we won't sit next to a seat that has the armrest up.

We want a proper table in front of us, not at our sides.

I really didn't see too many people drinking in the "Lounge" especially not during trivia which was difficult enough to maneuver in the seat to talk to your team mates. Aside from that, the seat being as small as it was, more a school child's sized seat, many of the larger people had the same problem with the seats as they had in the showers.

But I do think they tried to get in as many seats as possible so that more people could attend the functions being held there.

I'm certain it is too late to do any changes on the Riviera so when we go on the Marina or Riviera we have make ourselves as comfortable as possible.

Bobi

I really didn't see too many people drinking in the "Lounge" especially not during trivia which was difficult enough to maneuver in the seat to talk to your team mates. Aside from that, the seat being as small as it was, more a school child's sized seat, many of the larger people had the same problem with the seats as they had in the showers.

But I do think they tried to get in as many seats as possible so that more people could attend the functions being held there.

I'm certain it is too late to do any changes on the Riviera so when we go on the Marina or Riviera we have make ourselves as comfortable as possible.

Bobi

One thing that Oceania could do would be to have long curved "sofas" (can also be all one long one), with fold-down arms approximately every two to four persons' width. That works out great on many lines.

I really don't like having a smallish seat and feel that it is discriminating against larger folks to have to try to squeeze into smaller seats.

I really don't like having a smallish seat and feel that it is discriminating against larger folks to have to try to squeeze into smaller seats.

My perception was that the seats in the Marina Lounge were not smaller but simply had less depth to them.

Archived