Medication question

The very best reason to bring your prescription information with you is that if something happens to you and you require medical care, you will have this information with you.

I can't tell you how many people do not know the name of their medication (that they have been taking for 20 years) the dose, etc. They don't remember their doctor's name and can't describe their health conditions except in the vaguest terms.

And even if you do know, if you are unconcious or otherwise debilitated, it may be difficult to communicate that information.

I get the little clear pill envelopes from the pharmacy, and place my daily meds in one envelope/bag, and carry one for each day. I also carry a copy of the original prescription, just in case but never had a problem at the airport or cruise terminal.

This is a good idea if you go to a brick and mortar pharmacy. They may be able to print out labels just like the ones on your bottle. I'm not sure how they would handle it for a controlled drug.

I've had my stuff thoroughly examined post 9/11 but I was in my 20's and they were probably suspicious that I was a party animal with party animal drugs. I'm guessing if you look 'mature' you are less likely to get the twice over but there are certainly exceptions.

I don't know if the TSA has started taking the advice from the man who used to be the airport security director for Israel's main airport. If they have, maybe they will begin profiling to a degree and leave the grannies and children alone. And perhaps unassuming people who decant their prescription medications into a pill box. lol.

How are they going to know you have them?

Hopefully, the person you are travelling with will be aware of your condition.

It also helps if you run out for whatever reason. Things happen. You may need to get a few pills and if you have the info with you, it's much easier for a pharmacist to get in contact with your doctor or even spot you a couple of pills until you get home.

There is no TSA in Portugal.

Every flight returning to the U.S. from a foreign country requires the passengers to go through a second TSA-like screening. So they're not official TSA agents, they're the Portugese equivalent.

What's your point?

Every flight returning to the U.S. from a foreign country requires the passengers to go through a second TSA-like screening. So they're not official TSA agents, they're the Portugese equivalent.

What's your point?

When you go through your first point of entry upon arrival in the US, you first go through passport control, then you go through customs, which is not a TSA screening. Customs agents work for the US Customs and Border Protection, which comes under the Department of Homeland Security.

There is no TSA screening when you arrive back to the US.

My point is what I said, there are no TSA agents in Portugal. Some people come to these boards for accurate answers and want to know the correct name for things.

Pills show up on the baggage-screening x-ray, and I have had my bag opened and checked. I have also had my son's Miralax bottle checked, initially because it registered as looking like a liquid-containing bottle, then swiped for explosives because it contained a powdered substance. Had we decanted that powder into another container ... ? I don't know.

As far as how concerned TSA is about pills on domestic flights, like I said, my bag with pills was further examined. Also, keep in mind the same issue with why passports are recommended even on closed loop cruises - you may have to fly out of a foreign port in an emergency, and that country's security and/or drug enforcement may be screening for apparent drug-smuggling.

Also excellent points about being sure of the exact names, doses, and regimens for your meds in the event something happens to you.

I bring meds in original bottles in a "personal item" carryon on the plane in a size that will fit under the seat.

This is incorrect-when boarding an international flight returning the the US you clears security-according to the laws of the country you are departing-when entering the US you first clear Customs and Boarder Patrol-then if you are boarding an on going domestic flight you must also pass thru TSA screening prior to boarding your domestic flight.

When you go through your first point of entry upon arrival in the US, you first go through passport control, then you go through customs, which is not a TSA screening. Customs agents work for the US Customs and Border Protection, which comes under the Department of Homeland Security.

My point is what I said, there are no TSA agents in Portugal. Some people come to these boards for accurate answers and want to know the correct name for things.

I repeat - this is what happened to me in Portugal in 2010: we went through an initial security screening, then immigration, and then a second security check at the gate just before I boarded the plane. The only people in this second security check line were people getting on the plane back to the U.S. I was selected for a thorough pat-down and then they examined the contents my carry-on bag which contained 12 pill bottles. They had me open each one.

Yes, they agents were not U.S. TSA agents, but the Portugese equivalent. The point of my offering the information was not to misinform but to let people know that it is possible to have your medicine bottles inspected.

This is incorrect-when boarding an international flight returning the the US you clears security-according to the laws of the country you are departing-when entering the US you first clear Customs and Boarder Patrol-then if you are boarding an on going domestic flight you must also pass thru TSA screening prior to boarding your domestic flight.

The poster to whom I was responding only commented on flying from Portugal to EWR. They did not discuss connecting to a domestic flight upon arrival in the US. Anyway, it is true that there is no TSA screening when you arrive back to the US. You would pass back through TSA screening only if you attempt to board another flight.

Archived