Medication question

My wife has all of her pills in a bottle. She's concerned they won't let her on with them, or that they'll take them from her.

Does she need to bring all of her prescription bottles, or bring something that proves they're medical pills?

Does she need proof of some kind that they're hers, and not illegal drugs?

They don't care what medications you bring, as long as you don't have copious amounts of narcotics.....you can bring them in a "daily planner" pill box, or in the pharmacy bottle....they simply don't care. No worries.

....they simply don't care. No worries.

Who doesn't care? The ship? No, but if OP is flying, there could be a problem.

OP, it is up to you, but there have definitely been stories on these boards about over-zealous TSA agents, screeners who take it upon themselves to question pills in baggies. I've read the accounts here, it does happen. Will it happen? Probably not, but do you want to be delayed indefinitely trying to explain this?

My advice is to bring the prescription medications in their original, labelled bottles with your wife's name on them. The pharmacy can give smaller bottles if you ask for them. I would not fly without doing this. I put them into my weekly pill boxes once I reach my destination, no big deal.

Have a good cruise.

If it is a controlled drug such as narcotics, (pain pills),Xanax, Valium, ambiem,etc. Just copy the prescription before you get it filled and keep in a safe place. That way you have proof that it is your script. I always take Xanax to fly and I've always taken a copy of the script and keep the pills in the original bottle. I've never been asked for "proof" yet but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. Hope his helps! Have a great trip!!!

I get the little clear pill envelopes from the pharmacy, and place my daily meds in one envelope/bag, and carry one for each day. I also carry a copy of the original prescription, just in case but never had a problem at the airport or cruise terminal.

If you are flying it is advisable to keep your prescription pills in their labeled bottles as there is a very small (but real) chance they will be confiscated. If you are driving to port, I have not heard of a cruise line confiscating pills in generic containers.

OP, it is up to you, but there have definitely been stories on these boards about over-zealous TSA agents, screeners who take it upon themselves to question pills in baggies. I've read the accounts here, it does happen. Will it happen? Probably not, but do you want to be delayed indefinitely trying to explain this?

My advice is to bring the prescription medications in their original, labelled bottles with your wife's name on them. The pharmacy can give smaller bottles if you ask for them. I would not fly without doing this. I put them into my weekly pill boxes once I reach my destination, no big deal.

Have a good cruise.

All our long term meds come from a mail-in pharmacy as required by our medical insurance so getting smaller bottles is an issue. We've never had a problem but, if we did & the meds had to be dumped, we'd survive.

If going without the meds for a few weeks was life threatening, we'd have to make arrangements with our primary care for small quantity prescriptions. It's doable, but it would be a big deal..............

Have a good cruise.

I'm one of those who were singled out for the second, more rigorous screening, when flying home to the U.S. from EUROPE last year. I was carrying my pills in their original bottles from the "by mail" pharmacy as well as my husband's. A total of 12 bottles. After my pat down, the screener had me open every bottle. I don't know if it would happen on a purely domestic flight, but it definitely happened from Portugal to New Jersey.

As said before, the cruise line doesn't care - its the TSA that does.

They don't care what medications you bring, as long as you don't have copious amounts of narcotics.....you can bring them in a "daily planner" pill box, or in the pharmacy bottle....they simply don't care. No worries.

Simply not true.

We had all our bags (suitcase, carry on, purse) searched by port security and they checked all the pill bottles. She told me they check to make sure the names on the bottles match the person on the room. I assume if they were not correct they would have taken them. We were picked randomly to be checked.

Chances that this will happen to you? Very small, but to say it can't isn't true.

I always bring my prescription bottles with me and then transfer them to my daily pill box once I'm on board. I don't think the ship is a problem, but airport security sometimes look at them. If not using the original prescription bottles, it would be wise to bring a list of meds that you are taking in case of a medical emergency.

Suzanne

I'm one of those who were singled out for the second, more rigorous screening.... After my pat down, the screener had me open every bottle....

We had all our bags (suitcase, carry on, purse) searched by port security and they checked all the pill bottles....

Exactly. Thank you both for posting; confirms my theory of better being safe than sorry and frustrated and embarrassed and delayed and interrogated and....

All our long term meds come from a mail-in pharmacy as required by our medical insurance so getting smaller bottles is an issue. We've never had a problem but, if we did & the meds had to be dumped, we'd survive. If going without the meds for a few weeks was life threatening, we'd have to make arrangements with our primary care for small quantity prescriptions. It's doable, but it would be a big deal..............

Apparently there is something I am not seeing here. Why the need for smaller pill containers? Why not just take whatever number of pills you need for the cruise plus one week additional for emergencies in the original container and leave the extras in a baggie at home?

Apparently there is something I am not seeing here. Why the need for smaller pill containers? Why not just take whatever number of pills you need for the cruise plus one week additional for emergencies in the original container and leave the extras in a baggie at home?

Hi.

The smaller pill containers will not take as much room in your carry on bag but they might not have all the proper 'credentials ' on them if the medication was not shipped in them.

I get my medication from mail order supplier as well ( 90 day supply ) and some of the bottles are big, so that is why smaller containers work better. the 'original container' takes up too much space especially if one takes a whole bunch of different pills daily. You will have the whole bag full, with nothing but medicine containers, regardless if there 15 or 90 pills in them.I understand what the poster wants to do.

Wes

I don't know if it would happen on a purely domestic flight, but it definitely happened from Portugal to New Jersey.

As said before, the cruise line doesn't care - its the TSA that does.

There is no TSA in Portugal.

Not for arriving flights.:confused:

Hi,

I do agree no TSA. And it is not my intention to 'disagree' with anyone but have anyone had their luggage checked on the way back to the USA at the airport ?.

I have and many others have. They can check every single item if they want to. They can check your medication as well.

Wes

Hi,

I do agree no TSA. And it is not my intention to 'disagree' with anyone but have anyone had their luggage checked on the way back to the USA at the airport ?.

I have and many others have. They can check every single item if they want to. They can check your medication as well.

Wes

Believe that would be international arrivals, and that is done by Customs and Immigration.

Believe that would be international arrivals, and that is done by Customs and Immigration.

Hi,

yes, that is correct. The person describing his experience in one of the posts above was coming back from Portugal. He just used improper name, TSA. The TSA looks at medication from a different point of view - mostly safety on board the plane, the Customs look if what you bringing with you is legal to have and bring it here or not. They can question you about any medication if they want to.

Wes

The OP is worrying about nothing.

The TSA will know if you're sneaking any illegal narcotics. They have swipes and plenty of scanning machines to determine if you're a wanna-be drug lord. It can be done quickly, without missing your flight or cruise.

On a similar note, security at RCCL is not even close to the TSA or the DEA. They are nothing to worry about as well.

We get all our prescriptions from a mail order 90 days. My husband takes several meds and bringing all of those bottles would take up a lot of space. We put daily meds in a seal a meal type package and bring an extra week. I also bring copies of the scripts in case there are any problems. This way we have enough without carrying the whole bottle of pills and possibly losing it. We also carry a copy of his health problems with the names of his doctors (which includes a list of his meds). We carry it in our carryon luggage so the pills are not lose or exposed to heat.

Since he has seizures, I carry pills in my purse that I can get to quickly. This is the way we have flown and cruised for the last 6 years.

Archived