More Trivia - Better Prizes

Question for those who frequent trivia.

If you know the questions repeat why do you go back?

Also if you go and realize that the questions are repeat do you stay?

Just being curious.

Bragging rights:p (and no,not me......I dont go enuf to know all the answers)

o.k., I'll throw one out... the question was

"what is the second most spoken language in the United States?"

Of course, everyone answered "Spanish"

The answer sheet, however, said it was "Polish."

What's interesting is that I have NEVER seen arguments or people getting upset over the answers. Then again, I'm sure it can happen.

Why do we go back or stay for trivia that we have done before? Because we are usually playing with different people on our team each time which changes the dynamics of the game. We don't really care about the prizes (especially since they have become so boring) and usually give them away to folks on the ship.

And we are TERRIBLE at general trivia, but we still go sometimes just to see what the questions are. On our westbound TA on the Jewel last fall one of the CD's staff was running the trivia and I swear he must have stayed up all night researching the most obscure stuff! At one game our team got 3 out of 20 right......and the winning team had 4 out of 20!!!

How about a program that you log participation in activities in general... not just fitness. I think it was Costa that had a "passport" that you could get stamped at different activities/events. When you filled your passport you submitted it for a drawing for a prize. This got more people involved in onboard activities. I also won a hat for some pool deck game that normally I would not participate in. I still wear that hat when I go to the lake.

On our last cruise my husband and I teamed up with 2 tour friends and did great at trivia. We won the key chains and luggage tags but also won caps, umbrellas and some great packs that can go on a belt or around your neck and are large enough for passports, money and other stuff. Our friends also won some mini-backpack things one day. We made a great team!

We really like trivia, but the worst was on the 15 day Hawaiian cruise. 15 days is just too long for us. The men were yelling over the answers and started going after the hosts. 2 men started swinging their canes over the question "Who was president when the US entered into the Vietman war?" They had to call security and threatened to shut down all

trivia if people did not remain calm.

One guy yelled at me after Disney Trivia because I said Gaston was the villian in Beauty and the Beast. He told me I watched too much TV and needed to get a life. I gave him my RCCL Highlighter that I won. lol

If there was no trivia I'm not sure I would cruise. If they had more trivia I'm not sure my wife would allow us to cruise. We hear repeated questions all the time but it amazes me that there are so many questions that we haven't heard before even though we play all the time on cruises. Princess does a few variations on prizes. On one of their cruises we won points which could be cashed in at the end of the cruise for prizes. On another there was a trivia king/queen competition the last day to see who the individual best trivia player was on the ship with a slightly better prize. With their longer itineraries they have a very wide selection of trivia questions to choose from. I know that Seabourn has teams stay together for an entire cruise and awards a single nice price at the end to the team with the highest accumulated score. But its not about the prizes, its the people you meet and the fun...but darn, I need another baseball cap.

Even though we may have had some of the questions before, half the time we have forgotten the correct answer. We put down the same wrong answer we put down before and vow to remember the correct answer only to forget it again. Of course, I'm talking about previous cruises, not the one we are on when the questions are repeated so it's several months in between.

Some people do take it too seriously. I noticed on Celebrity, though, that there was very little arguing and animosity towards the host even when the answer on his/her sheet was wrong and we all knew it. As others have said, it's just a game. I have seen some confrontations on Royal several times to the point the hostess is nearly in tears. That's just ignorant.

I've never seen them allow googling in any of our contests. On one trivia, the host said if he saw any of that, they would be out on their ear.

Tucker in Texas

One question that has come up a few times is "What is the name of the horse in Jingle Bells?"

Some people say "Bob" others say "Bobtail." Argument arises from those that have Bob that Bobtails shouldn't count. Vice versa with Bobtail answer. I can't remember what is on the answer sheet. Personally, I felt like bobtail was just a description of the horses tail but couldn't figure out how jingle bells fit on it since the tail was bobbed.

So, when I got home, I asked my co-workers at the thrift shop I volunteer at. The granddaughter (16 but very bright) of one of them who was doing summer volunteer work pipes up "The horse has no name, and it is not bobtail." She said she read it in a book called "Words you thought you knew." So I came home and googled a bit to find the song was written in 18xx and read the original lyrics. Bobtail was lowercase "b" and a hyphen between bob and tail--bob-tail. That tells me it isn't the name of the horse. I plan to go to the library and see if I can pull the book the granddaugther refered to because I have no doubt it will come up again.

I like the docking scores if you are wrong. Note to self: Take bob-tail proof with me (lol)

Then we have the never ending conflict over "What vegetable has the most calories." Answer: Avocado according to the answer sheet the guy had. Big argument--Avocado is a fruit. O.K. file that away. Another quiz, same ship, different host. "What fruit has the most calories?" Banana? We know it isn't avocado. Nope, his sheet said avocado. This became a running joke the rest of the cruise. The last day on the progressive quiz with even a different host, the first question was "What is the main ingredient of guacamole?" Needless to say, we all were practically rolling on the floor laughing. Poor host couldn't figure out why. Webster's says it is a fruit.

Their answer sheets do have errors in them. Did you know that Gibraltar was a country? That came up in what are the two smallest countries in the world. Vatican is one and most put Monaco down for the other although Angora crossed our minds. Good news is no one had Gibraltar so it was a wash.

Tucker in Texas

What fun...I have always thought Bob-Tail nag referred to the horse having his tail cut short--bobbed--not it's being his name. If you thirst for between -cruise trivia, there is a great site called Funtrivia.com, where I compete under the same screen name

Our family loves trivia when we cruise. The little prizes are fine and once we have won one then we simply decline it if it comes up as a prize again. We play because we enjoy the friendly competition.

I am so disappointing to hear that RCI repeats the same games over and over. Disney does that as well and it is very disappointing. We leave when we realize we know the answers by having learned them onboard and not just by knowing. We have only sailed RCI once before and did not realize questions were all repeats (but there were a couple of wrong answers)--there must not have been a lot of repeat cruisers because we won about half the time.

On Celebrity last year we were chatting with cruise staff WHILE they worked on writing new questions for their own personal trivia lists. I also know the DJ on that cruise was creating Name That Tune games as he went on the sailing and tailoring them to the crowd that came. I really liked that.

I am so disappointing to hear that RCI repeats the same games over and over.

Not to worry... that is exception, not the rule. We love trivia, go every time we can and have maybe only heard one "repeat" quiz. We simply informed the leader and they went to another. Yes, we have heard repeat questions, but, as someone else has said, we simply give the same wrong answer we gave before!:)

Even though we may have had some of the questions before, half the time we have forgotten the correct answer. We put down the same wrong answer we put down before and vow to remember the correct answer only to forget it again. Of course, I'm talking about previous cruises, not the one we are on when the questions are repeated so it's several months in between.

Tucker in Texas

Thats me.

All the trivia questions are in a binder, that must have been distributed fleet-wide that hasn't been updated in years. There are different sections of the book tailored for who the majority of the passengers on the ship are. UK, US, Spanish, etc.

• 3 years later...

still same prizes and often the same questions.

OK for all the RCCL trivia players.....

What food never spoils?

Answer - Honey

What color is the black box on a plane?

Answer - Orange.

I think I hear these same questions every cruise, and still manage to lose!

Honestly RCCL, change the questions and make it fun for everyone.

M

Instead of trivia, how about bringing back shipshape? ;) I loved the variety of activities they had for this, something for everyone.

Please RC bring back this popular activity! :)

I am with you! I have added that suggestion on my cruise surveys, too, but to no avail. I would love to have those Ship Shape activities again.:)

Instead of trivia, how about bringing back shipshape? ;) I loved the variety of activities they had for this, something for everyone.

Please RC bring back this popular activity! :)

Were the prizes ever updated? Is it still the pen/keychain?

On our last cruise, the prizes were wallets, visors, and highlighters.

I was astonished at how many people were playing trivia on our Carnival cruise two weeks ago. I think timing had a lot to do with it, as they had trivia in a lounge prior to a band playing. On our last Mariner of the Seas cruise, we entered the Cartoon trivia thinking it would be "old school" cartoon questions. Only a few people were competing, but the questions were related to modern Disney or Pixar type movies, so we lost. An older lady with grandchildren won after only getting half the questions correct because she watches with her grandkids. Still had fun playing, though.

Thanks for the answers on the other questions.