The one thing I wish I knew before my first cruise...

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/cruises.html

I think this is a primer for things that people can do wrong and think they are in the right.

Im sure some legit gripes, but mostly its people who made mistakes and didnt know simple things like link your dining to sit together (they were like we paid on the same credit card but they didnt sit us together). It was foggy, we could not enjoy our balcony etc.

I was young on my first cruise and someone else planned it. I did not know you needed dress up clothes.

Most of my lessons (similar to others) come from my more recent cruises:

Carry on bag with swim wear or even shorts, as you may not have been wearing them if you come straight from the airport or a chilly hotel.

Some warm clothes. A simple black light weight sweater that can be worn with a top or sun dress is nice in the air conditioning, especially when going to see a show. Sometimes unseasonally cool weather can happen, so pants and a light jacket are nice, depending the time of year.

Travel clock is important. My DH would try to read my watch in the dark, and it always woke me up. Cell phones can be substituted, but a lit up travel clock is best.

I did not know about breakfast/lunch in the MDR on my first cruise until the last day at sea.

Don't forget to pack some allergy pills (if needed) and pain medicine. Although there is medicine available on board its not cheap and it might not be what you want. I also pack decongestant for my dd because she seems to get a cold every time we go away.

I definitely agree with the OP's comment regarding port talks etc.

Also, now I know that you can arrive basically at any time for embarkation. Our first cruise in 1996, I adhered by the cruise line information to arrive between 1 and 3 p.m. We flew in that day and got to the airport at 9:30 a.m. We claimed our bags and sat at the airport until it was time to go to the ship.

That is funny, we did the same thing but then again we also took Carnival's transportation because the TA said we should, lol. Oh let's not forget we also bought our insurance from Carnival not knowing we could get it a lot cheaper elsewhere. Each cruise I take gets better and better, DH and I learn something new each time.

Most important thing is to NOT listen to the CD about where to go, what to see, what to do......if he says you absolutely cannot do without hearing him talk.......don't worry, your cruise is still safe...all he cares about is saving his job and having you go to places/vendors that give CCL kickbacks for their service. His job description reads: "Maximize Carnival profits by scaring pax not to think on their own".

I think this is a primer for things that people can do wrong and think they are in the right.

Im sure some legit gripes, but mostly its people who made mistakes and didnt know simple things like link your dining to sit together (they were like we paid on the same credit card but they didnt sit us together). It was foggy, we could not enjoy our balcony etc.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of the site. Very interesting things that people complain about.

I have seen this site before but never read the cruising section, definitely interesting!

On our honeymoon cruise we went with several other couples and we found ourselves pretty frustrated since DH is all about being on time and the others weren't like that. Two couples were constantly late from dinner to excursions, it was so annoying. Now if we travel with others we let them know up front this is what we're doing, feel free to join us if you choose but don't feel obligated, nothing is more annoying than having to wait around for others.

I couldn't agree more!! It wasn't on a cruise but at Disney World when we traveled with 11 family members total. I told them we would be leaving our hotel at such time and if they were at the bus stop great but if not I WOULD NOT wait on them. Needless to say on the 3rd day they they got pi**ed off and saying we should wake them up since DHs daughter was in the room with them (keep in mind she was suppose to stay in our room and she was 25 at the time). DH told them NO WAY was he doing a wake up call for a room full of adults when we had a 6 year old and twin 2 year olds to dress every morning. Once they realized we meant what we said they just called us when they arrived at the parks and we met them then. This is even more important if 1 family has small children and the other families don't because those with small children have to vacation around the kids schedule.

I learned my lesson the hard way. We had been sick with the colds the week before and were glad that we had recovered in time for the cruise. We had to be in TX for sons grad from the USAF and then we were flying on to Miami. Well the second day into the cruise I got a horrible sinus infection, I couldn't even bite down because the pain was so bad:( Finally on the third day I went to the ships doc and he gave me antihistamine pills and nasal spray 24 hrs later I was brand new again but we were 4 days into a seven day cruise by now. So I never travel without benadryl, nasal spray, pain releiver, bug spray/wipes, etc. You might not be able to get what you need in port depending on where you're going so it's better and cheaper to bring from home.

Another thing I always bring is Downey Wrinkle Release. Works great!

the night light idea is a good one!Thanks!I'm not a first time cruiser but i'll take all the advice i can get!!

I leave the night light at home now and take a "touch light". Put it on the night stand and touch it to get up and go to the bathroom, touch it to turn it off. You can get them anywhere (get the smallest one--it's all you will need).

Take MAGLITE flashlight with extra batteries. It's handy for finding things under the bed before you go and when the Splendor lost power, people with flashlights were the heroes in those dark corridors!

I had read on the boards to always pack Downey Wrinkle Release. I had never tried it and wanted to before our cruise. It is DA BOMB!!!! We use it all the time at home now when we are in a hurry (or lazy!). Seriously a great travel (and home) product.

Food is free. That goes for the MDR, the buffet and room service. Try them all.

don't feel like you have to do everything that other people are doing. If you don't like the shows, don't go to the shows; if you don't like dance clubs, don't go to the club, etc. There's no "right" or "wrong" way to keep yourself entertained on a cruise.

If you take dramamine or gravol or whatever else, expect that you may sleep a little more than usual. Most of those drugs make you at least a little drowsy.

I didn't know the Bitter & Blanc was only served once during the cruise and missed it the first time around.

Same goes for the BBQ ribs that are served the first night only.

Don't miss either of these MDR offerings -- just about worth the price of the cruise alone!!!

I didn't know the Bitter & Blanc was only served once during the cruise and missed it the first time around.

Same goes for the BBQ ribs that are served the first night only.

Don't miss either of these MDR offerings -- just about worth the price of the cruise alone!!!

I TOTALLY AGREE.

Try the escargot. I had it twice before and thought "so-so" but tried it on Carnival and fell in love. I now tell my waiter first night not to let me miss them and make sure I get two.

I was really lucky on my last cruise in that we had them two different nights fixed 2 different ways so I had 4 servings.;)

Yesterday on our Roll Call a soon to be first time cruiser asked for any pointers and I remembered one that I think is very helpful. My first cruise was in 2001 on the Triumph and I went with three other girls, all first timers and we were so by the book, meaning we went to every "important talk". These talks whether port/shopping/ debarkation were time consuming and always seemed to fall right in the middle of something fun or relaxing or when one of us had just scored some chairs in a great spot on the Lido.

After that cruise I learned that it wasn't necessary to run off to any "important talk" since they are played non stop on the in cabin tv throughout the day. Now I just tune in when I am getting ready for dinner and DH is showering. I know am not missing anything and have more time to enjoy my cruise.

If you could offer once piece of advice to a first time cruiser what would it be?

That you can request your bed configuration. I would have had them put my beds together for a queen sized bed.

GoodNightJack.jpg

I wish I had realized from the beginning that my vacation doesn't begin when I set foot on deck. It begins in my driveway, when I head for the airport.

Now, I get myself in vacation mode even earlier, by researching on this site, and I fully enjoy the travel time to the airport, through all the checkpoints, with multiple stops and layovers, the overnight hotel in the port city....it's all vacation time, and it's all good!

Likewise, my vacation doesn't end sadly when I leave the ship for the last time. I still have the travel home to enjoy with just me and my husband.

Vacation REALLY ends when we realize that someone has to cook supper when we get home, and there will be no chocolates on our bed!

GREAT THREAD. I've been on one previous cruise & have my second one booked. The thing I still don't know is the bowl of toothpaste, razors ect. in the bathroom, Do they charge you if you use any of that stuff? I didnt use any of it on my first cruise. :confused:

The goodie basket is filled with free samples. Doesn't cost anything extra.

One of the most important hints I can share is: Read the Fun Times that your steward leaves you! If you bring a highlighter, you can make sure you never miss a fun activity that you were looking forward to.

And to those who didn't realize that the MDR served breakfast and lunch... the Fun Times lists all dining venues and their times as well.

I agree with what everyone said. I take a battery operated candle or two, or three, use on in the bathroom at night as a night light, and you can always use a battery operated candle for some ambiance;).

Mu suggestion is that you don't have to do anything that you don't want to do.:) except the muster drill.

My most valuable lesson (and it took me about 6 cruises to learn it) is to not plan too many or too complicated activities for the ports. It is way too stressful and you can't enjoy your time if you try to do too much! We used to rent cars to drive to the other side of the island to get on a boat to go to another island to meet our tour company to go on a 3-reef snorkeling excursion, which we had hurry through so we could get back to the car to drive to town to have lunch at a particular restaurant and hurry up and eat so we could return the car and still have time to shop at the port before getting back on the ship! My point is relax and enjoy the ride! I'm at the point now where I just want a cab to take me to the beach for the day!

Bring an old gift card to use for opening the safe in the room.

Just out of curiosity, why does Carnival have the safe set up that way? And why does it say that we can't use our Sign and Sail Card to lock and unlock the safe? It was silly that I had to leave a credit card outside the safe so that I could open it. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? If someone broke into the room, not only could they have easily found that credit card, but they also could have opened the safe. It would have made much more sense to let you use the Sign and Sail Card, or to use a combination. It seems that any card with a magnetic stripe works, except the Sign and Sail Card. I wonder why.

Archived