Sweden's moment of silence for Norway

I happened to see the guards marching to the palace for the changing of the guard and right at noon they abruptly stopped near the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs and I snapped this photo. All the flags at half staff ... Sweden's thoughts are with Norway in the tragedy.

25_juli_norway800.jpg

Before they delete it let me say I have a lump in my throat at that picture. I live in south Africa and all people were talking about today was Norway...everyone feels your pain.

On behalf of my countrymen and myself personally: Thank you. The warm compassion means alot!

But, I guess CruiseCritic will delete this thread as well..

Why in the world would they delete this thread?

Because if it doesn't apply to cruising, seems to be a no no here.

This was very much a WORLD tragedy, and we all should learn from it.

My sympathies to all, and HOORAY for the Swedes who did the right thing.

Cheers

Len

Let me jump in here, too, to say my thoughts & prayers continue to be with the wonderful people of Norway and their beautiful country.

Just found out today my co-worker's wife knew one of the fallen and he himself knows the father of one of the missing (It's a small world).

I hope CC can leave this up for at least a little while - many of us have recently cruised or will be cruising to Norway soon and want the Norwegians posting here to know that we're with them in heart.

Let me jump in here, too, to say my thoughts & prayers continue to be with the wonderful people of Norway and their beautiful country.

Just found out today my co-worker's wife knew one of the fallen and he himself knows the father of one of the missing (It's a small world).

I hope CC can leave this up for at least a little while - many of us have recently cruised or will be cruising to Norway soon and want the Norwegians posting here to know that we're with them in heart.

Taking my first cruise in a few years next week .... first stop? Oslo, on Monday August 1.

It's a crazy world but we live here ...

Take care everyone.

Al

The first post is great, but If you after this only want to see one more picture today, this is the one.

(I am not the photographer).

That's a beautiful photo! I saw a few of the People up on the Rådhus taking photos this evening. We commented that it must be a very moving sight from that perspective. The number of people downtown was incredible.

Kaisatsu,

I am so glad to hear that you are okay. I have been mother hen here hoping that you were fine. We had such an enjoyable time last summer in Norway and were totally shocked about Friday's horrific events. When we were at the Resistance Museum, we were in awe of the resilience of the Norwegians. Somehow I do not remember studying how Norway suffered during the war. I am sure Norway will rise above this latest event.

You were so helpful in our planning last year. I am glad you are safe.

Pearl

The first thread was actually cruise related, since the starter of the thread asked if it would be safe to go to Oslo. I responded to this with a quote from the Mayor in Oslo. I am not doing that again, since that might be understood as an political statement.

Later that day the thread was deleted.

]

Anyway: Norway and norwegians wants to point out that everyone is warmly welcome to visit our country and our Capital. That is of course including cruisers!

The tragedy in Oslo did remind us that terrible things can happend everywhere, but Oslo is in general quite safe city. My best advice is to follow the travel advices that the government in your country is issuing.

Again - Thank you for your warm compassion. It means alot to my countrymen and me personally!

To make sure this post is cruise-related (board mods, pay attention!)...

I would expect the cruise ports to be open and accepting calls soon, but I just checked the port info. Aida Cara was scheduled to overnight at Akershuskaia last night, but looking up her position and webcam images on the internet, she is definitely not there. It looks like she skipped her call to Oslo, or at least left early, and is currently out at sea.

You can watch the Akershuskaia webcam here: http://www.oslohavn.no/

And the cruise port list is here: http://www.oslohavn.no/english/home/cruise-list/

The next "big" ships scheduled to dock at Akershuskaia are Costa Luminosa on Friday and Emerald Princess on Saturday. If you're worried about an upcoming cruise call, you might check the webcam when they're supposed to be in port to see if they canceled their calls.

The city administration is making a visible effort to reopen and cleanup the affected areas, and to minimize the overall impact this is having on the city. Unfortunately it looks like we're not fully ready for cruise traffic yet, but hopefully the piers will reopen soon. Though in the wake of RCCL's controversial calls in Haiti, the cruiselines may opt to skip the port based on PR concerns.

(And thank you all for your concern. It's touching to hear so many supporting words from around the world. So far everyone I know is safe, but it's impossible in such a small place to not know someone who was affected.)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4555

According to CC's brief news snippet, Costa is planning to resume calls this week, so we'll see if Luminosa arrives as scheduled.

Apparently MSC Orchestra was in port at the time! How scary that must have been for anyone who was downtown sightseeing on Karl Johans gate at the time! I'm glad to see that everyone made it back on board safely, and I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the ship's crew to deal with such a situation!

My sentiments exactly...

My DH and i were just in Oslo in July on the Emerald and absolutely loved Oslo. We live in a beautiful part of Ontario, Canada called the "1000 islands" and when we sailed up the Fjord it reminded us so much of home!!! We are all reminded when something like this happens that no matter how safe our city or area we live in is, it is still vunerable!!! My thoughts go out to the people of Norway especially to the families of the injured or the slain.

We will be in Oslo next Monday on the Eurodam. I'm sure all be be well and the city back up and running.

Cheers everyone.

Al

Happy cruising to someone who has been so very helpful to all of us visitors to Stockholm on this very board.

Archived