Six months to go..beauty routine advice please

Hello

I'm cruising in six months, and I want to be looking and feeling my very best this time round. I admit that I've let myself go somewhat,due to being very busy at work and other stress and well..I could look so much better than I do now. I pretty much have kept up a basic skincare routine, cleanse, tone, moisturise but I dont use any treatments or special creams. I still tend to have a pedicure whenever I have time. But that's it - that's all I'm doing right now for my beauty routine.

I am going to lose a little weight, but apart from that what would you make part of your routine for skin, hair, body etc?

You could start experimenting with hair cuts. Deciding which cut was look best and be easy to manage while you are traveling. Also, think about your hair color. Do you want to make a change, get highlights, etc. If it is in your budget, you could treat yt yourself to a facial once a month until your cruise.

I hope that you have wonderful trip.

I'm a fan of at home facial peels if you aren't overly sensitive to the acids in them. I like Avon's Anew Clinical Advance Retexturizing Peel pads but I've tried others that you can get in a drugstore that work very well too. They make your skin look nicer, especially the morning after you use one.

You don't say where you are going (I checked your previous posts, did not get a clear idea of your intentions). Anyway, a pedicure is something that always makes me feel great. I think it's important to care for your feet. That includes callous and corn care, dealing with cracked heals, nail care, etc. You can have a pedicure anytime and then get them every 6 weeks or so, choosing a polish color that you absolutely love.

Perhaps you might use it as a treat or reward if you do lose some weight, as planned. It would be a wonderful incentive, don't you think? :)

Hello

I'm cruising in six months, and I want to be looking and feeling my very best this time round. I admit that I've let myself go somewhat,due to being very busy at work and other stress and well..I could look so much better than I do now. I pretty much have kept up a basic skincare routine, cleanse, tone, moisturise but I dont use any treatments or special creams. I still tend to have a pedicure whenever I have time. But that's it - that's all I'm doing right now for my beauty routine.

I am going to lose a little weight, but apart from that what would you make part of your routine for skin, hair, body etc?

I've got some great stuff, and ideas for you; but everytime I try to suggest products, etc. on Cruise Critic, my threads get removed because they feel I'm advertising. If you are interested, please email me and I'll give you all of my sugggestions. Skin care is a passion of mine, and I love to share what I know. My email address is lizcmatthews@gmail.com

Thanks!

Hello

Find a hairdresser who can cut your hair so it looks good after you wash it or sleep in it - with minimal fuss and attention on your part and definitely does not need a salon visit - expensive on board. Make appointments every six weeks (or eight if your hair grows slowly) and if you are feeling adventurous try for something a little different for your cruise once you are confident with the basic style.

Thanks so much everyone!

I forgot to say it's a Caribbean cruise - the worst for my curly hair and skin that shines in humidity! :eek::eek:

Ineedamaitai - I will definitely email you subject line will be Ravenscroft so please look out for it. If that's you in your avatar you have truly beautiful skin.

I agree with most of you - hair is the place to start, especially as mine is a bit temperamental! I'm going to talk to a good local hairdresser, a salon that I used to go to and she understood my hair. I stopped going when I became 'too busy' and started to just get it cut wherever I was on business. That has led to some disasters!

Budget isn't too much of an issue, luckily. It's time that I'm short on. I think I just need to get some routines into place and stick to them.

I would also recommend exercise - it makes me feel better and I look better - skin, hair, nails, posture and body. Even if I don't lose weight (muscle weighs more than fat) I tone up and that makes me look better and my clothes fit better. Just a 30min walk each day is a good start. It is better if you can add some weight lifting because you burn more calories since your muscles continuing burning calories after you finish your workout. You get faster results with weights too. Exercise is great for stress too!

If you are interested in trying something new for your hair, pure coconut oil is great. I have inconsistent wave/curl in my hair, premature greying and frizz. I am caucasian with fairly fine hair but I have a lot of it and the greys are like wire. It has been the best thing I've found so far to keep things under control. I put a little bit on when its wet, blow it out then flat iron it. I've read it works well for women with curly hair who want to keep the frizz at bay. You can buy it in health food stores, amazon and many grocery stores. Its solid sort of like crisco but becomes liquid at ~75 degrees. You can cook with it and use it as a moisturizer as well. Also, I'm not a fan of coconut fragrances that are found in many beauty products but this is a more natural scent and not like the coco-loco-banana-cabana crap they sell at the smelly store at the mall lol.

I have curly hair and started using Argan Oil (name brand is "Moroccan Oil" but I use generic stuff) about a year ago. It's helped sooooooooooo much! My (color-treated) hair is so much healthier and less frizzy now.

Robin

I have curly hair and started using Argan Oil (name brand is "Moroccan Oil" but I use generic stuff) about a year ago. It's helped sooooooooooo much! My (color-treated) hair is so much healthier and less frizzy now.

Robin

Do you put it on when your hair is wet or dry or both? I'd like to try this when my cocounut oil is gone.

Do you put it on when your hair is wet or dry or both? I'd like to try this when my cocounut oil is gone.

I put it on when wet and kind of massage it into my scalp as well (although not too much because I've found if I overhandle my wet hair I get more frizz). I use about a quarter-size amount, and I also make certain to put it on first, before all other products (I'm a product-aholic).

Someone told me it helps your hair to dry faster. I don't dry my hair all the way though, so I'm not sure if it's faster or not.

Robin

Ravenscroft. I'm getting in shape for my cruise next April. I've set a goal of losing 1 pound a week with a cruisemate. Nothing formal, just eating better and exercise. Since you will be wearing sandals, don't forget your feet. Burt's Bees Coconut Creme foot cream is the best. Gave a tube to my pedicurist and he now recommends it to all his clients! Will really help cracked heels. I'm diabetic and my feet are really dry and can look awful even with regular pedicures. Use it Monday, Wed, Fri and put socks on after applying and go to bed this schedule keeps my feet looking great. Instead of foundation, I only wear Lancome tinted moisturizer I do touchup a few red spots with a cover sick. I use Rose Bud Save and grease up my lips each night and they are never chapped, and DH says soft! And I think it has helped some with the little lines above my lips and my lipstick doesn't creep. Love Camille Beckman hand cream and I put a dab of that on my elbows too each night.

All of these products can be purchased on-line.

Good luck. Keep us posted. You will encourage us!!!!

I like to use my Microdermabrasion Set from head to toe for pretty, smooth skin. I do Micro about once a week on my face, every other week on my body. I also exercise and use a firming cream. A lot of people don't think it works, but it absolutely works for me. I make sure any body moisturizer I wear contains cocoa or shea butter.

For my feet, I do my own pedi's. At night I apply an intense moisture cream to my feet before going to bed. All these allow me to show off my skin with complete confidence :).

A couple days before the cruise I go get a massage. Helps me start to wind down and costs less than getting one on the ship.

What I would do:

SKIN:

1. Drink LOTS of water! Hydration helps your overall skin health.

2. Go to your local spa and get a really good facial. Once you get that done, you have a decent new base to keep up.

3. Find a moisturizer WITH sunscreen and start using it. Keep your well-cared for skin safe!

HAIR:

Start now to experiment with different products to see what keeps your hair under control. I also have curly hair. When I'm in low humidity, my hair is just below shoulder length - when I'm in high humidity, my hair is about 2 inches above my shoulders. Give Moroccanoil (not the generic argan oil) a try. Moroccanoil is not 100% argan oil, but a blend of that oil with some silicones and other things. It definitely works with the frizz. Pure argan oil is just that - oil. I've tried Josie Moran 100% Organic Argan Oil - it left my hair just oily. But, it worked great on my face as a night moisturizer :-)

On my last vacation in Kenya, one of my traveling companions was a hair stylist. She also has curly hair. She gave me a sample of Davines Nounou conditioner to try. It was heavenly! So, when I got home, I ordered some of it and the coordinating shampoo. I've been loving it. Even my own stylist noticed a difference in how my hair looked. The combination of Davines and Moroccanoil has been good for me...

If it applies, also think about what type of hair tools you might need ... diffuser, certain type of hair dryer to maintain your look?? The ship's hairdryer may not do the job.

I pamper myself with a good pedicure at home. I use a bubbling foot bath and add table salt, lemon and/or grapefruit juice (no seeds) and body/bath oil to the water. I listen to my favorite music and Relax. My feet feel wondrous too.

I like to use my Microdermabrasion Set from head to toe for pretty, smooth skin. I do Micro about once a week on my face, every other week on my body. I also exercise and use a firming cream. A lot of people don't think it works, but it absolutely works for me. I make sure any body moisturizer I wear contains cocoa or shea butter.

For my feet, I do my own pedi's. At night I apply an intense moisture cream to my feet before going to bed. All these allow me to show off my skin with complete confidence :).

A couple days before the cruise I go get a massage. Helps me start to wind down and costs less than getting one on the ship.

What microdermabrasion set do you use? I've never done one and I need advice! Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

This year 2 months before vacation, I got a pedometer and tried to find ways to increase the numbers of steps I did a day. That worked great!

I second getting some teeth whitening strips.

Also, if you have a Sephora store near you, drop in and try on different kinds of makeup. The sales associates are great and will help you pick out things you wouldn't have tried on your own. Try a bronzer - it makes you feel tanner and ready for vacation.

Archived