Is It Possible To Delay Final Payment?

1cruiselvr

We have always paid on time, but we are cruising with another couple and they've had an emergency develop over the weekend. Our final payment is due tomorrow and they won't know if their emergency will be resolved until later this week. We would like to push out our final payment due date by a few days. Has anyone ever done this? Is it a possibility or is the due date cut in stone? We'd prefer not cancelling if it turns out a few days from now that it wasn't necessary. It's depressing me just typing the word 'cancel'...sigh :(

Sorry to hear there's (possibly) rough waters ahead...

Depends where you've booked. I always schedule my clients final payments 1-2 weeks in advance of the actual deadline to allow for processing time. So ask who you've booked with if there's any leeway.

You need to talk with the person with whom you booked the cruise through.

Our TA doesn't ask for final payment until the date that HAL requires -- 70 days out. Now our TA we have used for 24 years and knows this -- so if we had such emergency -- I am sure that she could get us a couple of days to make a final decision.

BUT that may not be the case for 99.9% of the people here.

Thank you for posting this question. We regularly cruise with another couple. We book our future cruises while on board, and the cruises are 'linked'. I don't know exactly what that means, but we usually get our dining times coordinated.

We are at the age where ship happens. We have discussed this and are all agreed that if for some reason one couple had to cancel, the other couple is not obligated to cancel as well. Fact is, every so often I wind up in the hospital for heart procedures, and I would feel bad if their cruise was cancelled because of it. I would still want them to feel free to go ahead and enjoy the cruise.

As far as delaying the final payment, we have never done that. We don't buy the insurance either. My sense is that if one is a day or two late with a final payment, you might still be able to get your cruise tickets if you decide to go. But if you delay final payment, and then decide not to go, you may be risking forfeiture of your deposit. So, as has been stated by others, this is a real good time to get on the phone and communicate.

We generally use part of a paycheck to pay for a cruise. We get paid bi-weekly and occasionally have a due date a few days prior to pay-day. I have called HAL and had no problem with having them extend it for a day or two (we book directly with HAL).

:) :)

We could go without them, but it just wouldn't be the same. I contacted our TA who said it was okay to extend until Friday. I wonder if I can call HAL direct to verify even though we used a TA. I'd hate yo give my friends wrong information. They have enough on their minds right now. I'm responsible for the TA we used so I feel responsible for what happens.

We could go without them, but it just wouldn't be the same. I contacted our TA who said it was okay to extend until Friday. I wonder if I can call HAL direct to verify even though we used a TA. I'd hate yo give my friends wrong information. They have enough on their minds right now. I'm responsible for the TA we used so I feel responsible for what happens.

If you are using a TA, HAL is not going to be able to help you directly in most cases. They will generally tell you to contact your TA. I hope you have a great TA like I do, who can handle this for you! I hope your friends are able to join you on the cruise! :D

It sounds lke your TA is like most Travel Agencies that now gives a final due date that is 10 days prior to the REAL final with the cruise line. Cruiselines such as Holland America and Princess have absolutely NO Grace period and once canceled there is no pleading of getting the deposit back and often the cabin is also gone.

Actually this is a perfect example of why agencies are bumping up the final due date and it is for the clients protection. You would be suprised at the high percentage of people that suddenly cannot come up with the full amount by the final date or suddenly it is difficult to get in contact with the client.

Actually this is a perfect example of why agencies are bumping up the final due date and it is for the clients protection. You would be suprised at the high percentage of people that suddenly cannot come up with the full amount by the final date or suddenly it is difficult to get in contact with the client.

That's just crazy! Maybe going on a vacation shouldn't be their first priorty.

I only want one piece of information from HAL - to verify my final payment due date. You'd think they would be able to tell me that much. I'm not asking to change anything, just a date.....for my peace of mind and that of my friends. :confused:

I only want one piece of information from HAL - to verify my final payment due date. You'd think they would be able to tell me that much. I'm not asking to change anything, just a date.....for my peace of mind and that of my friends. :confused:

The due date is on your Guest Confirmation which also shows your balance.

If you are on the October 24th Zuiderdam sailing then you TRUE Final with HAL would be that it need to be paid in full by the 7th of August.

Just taking a guess here, but perhaps your TA is able to extend it until Friday because that's HAL's firm final date. When you initially booked the cruise, your TA may have given you tomorrow as the final date in order to give the agency a couple of days to actually transmit the payment to HAL? :confused:

But it can't hurt to contact HAL. You never know until you ask. Just don't be surprised if they refer you back to your TA. They likely don't want to get caught in a he said-she said. :( Also, its kind of like once you are represented by an attorney, the other party will only speak to your representative. :rolleyes:

ps - I know exactly those ambivalent feelings about taking the cruise w/o your friends. It didn't come down to the wire for us & not an emergency, but still...... we're going. It's our 20th anniversary. We'll have a good time & make new friends.

ps - I know exactly those ambivalent feelings about taking the cruise w/o your friends. It didn't come down to the wire for us & not an emergency, but still...... we're going. It's our 20th anniversary. We'll have a good time & make new friends.

That would normally be my attitude, go and make some new friends but we booked this cruise as a group and it's just not the same this time if they don't go. We've been to all the ports and thru the canal 2x. What made this trip special was going w/them. But anniversary celebration is different. I totally understand that reason. Happy Sailing!

It sounds lke your TA is like most Travel Agencies that now gives a final due date that is 10 days prior to the REAL final with the cruise line. Cruiselines such as Holland America and Princess have absolutely NO Grace period and once canceled there is no pleading of getting the deposit back and often the cabin is also gone.

It amazes me how people who cannot really afford to cruise/travel/vacation do so. When we we first married, we were on a tight budget, so guess what - we stayed home for vacation time. Was that fun - No - but it was the smart thing to do. Same goes for buying things that are not neccessities.

A friend of mine recently filed bankrupcy. Since I was a creditor, I got a list of his assets and liabilities. Of course he had a HUGE credit card debt but one thing really bothered me. About one year prior, he actually went out and bought a timeshare condo on Hilton Head! At the time he obviously KNEW he was in financial trouble, so what in the world was he thinking?? Some people need to wake up and realize that they cannot have it all.

DaveOKC

So many people have no idea how to manage money. You ask them if they balance their checkbook and the reply will be 'no, I just check my ATM balance to see how much money I have'.....?@?@?@?@?@? They have no idea of how much their money expenses add up to and compare with their income, so it doesn't surprise me that they get into financial trouble by doing dumb things like buying a timeshare when they can't afford it. So many people let money manage them instead of the other way around.

I would rather sail in an inside cabin and have financial peace of mind than cruise in a suite but have to charge it and pay for the next year for the vacation I had last year.

So many people have no idea how to manage money. You ask them if they balance their checkbook and the reply will be 'no, I just check my ATM balance to see how much money I have'.....?@?@?@?@?@? They have no idea of how much their money expenses add up to and compare with their income, so it doesn't surprise me that they get into financial trouble by doing dumb things like buying a timeshare when they can't afford it. So many people let money manage them instead of the other way around.

I would rather sail in an inside cabin and have financial peace of mind than cruise in a suite but have to charge it and pay for the next year for the vacation I had last year.

I'm with you on that one. While I "could" afford a suite I wouldn't be taking 3-4 cruises a year either. I've moved up to the oceanviews and the odd balcony so I'm happy with that. I can't imagine not balancing my cheque book. There is always more out flow then income:D;).

EXACTLY!! I don't understand why people don't get that ??

I no longer balance my checkbook. With electronic banking, I just check every couple of days to see that my balance and the banks agrees. I don't even get the cancelled checks anymore, my credit union stopped that ages ago.

I no longer balance my checkbook. With electronic banking, I just check every couple of days to see that my balance and the banks agrees. I don't even get the cancelled checks anymore, my credit union stopped that ages ago.

I also don't bother balancing it either because of electronic banking. I do write every check in the register and the amount but I don't do many paper checks anymore either. Also my inflow from direct deposit has always been greater than my outflow so I don't have any worry about overdrawing. The bank sends me an email notification on the direct deposits,

Archived