Royal Caribbean MDR + Smart Trainers?

micflair

Hey guys (sorry girls, your not needed! haha)... So on the casual nights in the MDR Im lost on what to wear, on the smart casual im going shirt/suit/shoes of course, and on the formal Im going tux/bowtie etc.. But on the casual ones Im stumped, Im wanting to wear some light black linen trousers for comfort, with a `saturday night out' collared style shirt, but the problem is that shoes are a no-no with the linen trousers. They are more suited for sandals, but Id never wear them in the MDR. So im thinking more along the lines of smart trainers, in the style of Converse All-Stars..

96509003391conversealls.jpg

Are these a yes, or a no.. help me guys help me! :)

I'm sorry... men and sandals are not a pretty picture unles you're at the beach or pool. I'm sorry! You can do pedicures and whatever...but men shouldn't have their "tippy toes" showing at dinner. It's just not right.

Wear a deck/boat shoe..no socks..that's fine...no sandals.

First of all, I'm going to ignore the condescending remark about women's replies not wanted. This is a general public discussion forum and you will get answers from mostly women in here. Thanks. :)

Secondly, I don't like those shoes for dinner in the MDR, but if you feel you want to wear them, go ahead. No one will stop you at the door.

You could easily wear a closed-toe dress sandal. That would work. The shoes you showed look more like sport shoes. You've asked for opinions and sorry, I don't like 'em for dinner in the MDR. For dinner in the Windjammer casual buffet - yes.

Say, what if you changed the laces to black? That might possibly work.

1617600867035752.jpg

Cheers for the feedback people! I was joking about the no women needed by the way :) Looks like all the guys have ignored me anyway.. :D

I think Sandal's are a no-no in the MDR no matter what trousers you are wearing, allthough they are clearly the best option when not in the MDR with these kind of trousers.

I do have some black laces for them, so maybe I will try that, the white laces do make them look more sporty, the black more smart. Why is it Im struggling with the casual nights wear, and not the formal? Im sure Im going to get there and some people are going to have put no effort in anyway and Ill look smarter than a lot of them and Ill wonder what all the fuss was about..

I think that the Converse-type shoes are cool if you're in high school (like wearing sneakers with your tuxedo to prom), but kind of silly looking if you're an adult. There are definitely closed toed sandals and very casual loafers that imho would be better.

I really like the closed toe one, I think those would be great with the linen trouser. I might show them to my DH!

First of all, I'm going to ignore the condescending remark about women's replies not wanted. This is a general public discussion forum and you will get answers from mostly women in here. Thanks. :)

Secondly, I don't like those shoes for dinner in the MDR, but if you feel you want to wear them, go ahead. No one will stop you at the door.

You could easily wear a closed-toe dress sandal. That would work. The shoes you showed look more like sport shoes. You've asked for opinions and sorry, I don't like 'em for dinner in the MDR. For dinner in the Windjammer casual buffet - yes.

Say, what if you changed the laces to black? That might possibly work.

1617600867035752.jpg

What is on this guys crotch?

Hey guys... But on the casual ones Im stumped, Im wanting to wear some light black linen trousers for comfort, with a `saturday night out' collared style shirt, but the problem is that shoes are a no-no with the linen trousers. They are more suited for sandals, but Id never wear them in the MDR. So im thinking more along the lines of smart trainers, in the style of Converse All-Stars..

Are these a yes, or a no.. help me guys help me!

Hey micflair!

Sorry it took me a while to get here (someone on another part of CruiseCritic kindly directed me here)...

I'm a professional guy in the fashion industry, and I just haven't had as much time to read or post because of my work schedule this summer has been mostly on location - and I have a one year old baby girl on top of that!

But I'm here now, so hopefully I can help with my perspective.

First of all I'm going to agree with the ladies comments that nice leather sandals or topsiders are a very good classic look and alternative for linen pants. So that is good "classic" advice.

But, I don't think those looks are natural or comfortable for everyone, as I personally believe that for both men and women - you need to wear things that fit in the parameters of the situation, but are comfortable for you (in a psychological way) and more importantly; express and fit your own personality and personal style.

So, I'm going to disagree with the ladies that the converse (or certain styles of tennis shoes in general) can't work with the linen trousers.

Do they work on everyone? Absolutely not.

Can they work on some men? Absolutely yes.

If they really "fit" your personality or burgeoning personal style then, guess what?

Classic sneakers in general are really becoming a staple with dressy casual wear, and even casual suits.

Here are some recent specific examples of converse tennis shoes with linen pants for a nice, fashionable, but casual look:

0421829820226R__ASTL_300x400.jpgheritage1981look1.jpg

Yes. Both of these guys are in linen pants.

So this is a current men's fashion style that I expect to remain constant, and only grow more in the future. This is not a trend that is just "of the moment" that will fade next season.

I expect to see this more and more in the fashion magazines, and on the streets of the more fashion forward cities in America and the World over the next ten years. Eventually this will reach all of the smaller cities across America as a "standard".

The key currently, is that it's "warm weather" attire, and you are going on a cruise!

Also, there is absolute men's fashion "thumbs up" to wear classic style sneakers with more casual suits.

scan0110.jpg

BananaRepublicCotton250_00008f.jpg

Please note that this has been something that has been continually endorsed for at least the past 5 years in the mainstream mens fashion industry - and mainstream mens magazines such as GQ and Details.

That amounts to long term fashion, destined to become mainstream acceptable, and not just a one season fashion trend.

So there you go. In the context of general men's fashion advice - I say that you can absolutely wear the classic converse sneakers with casual or semi-casual linen pants. Especially on a RCCL or CCL cruise. Even more especially if they are something that are "you", and fit your style and personality.

As general fashion advice in this particular situation, my other personal favorite alternative would be some classic adidas shell toes:

MiloVentimigliaBlackSuitWhiteShoes.jpg

Since the vast majority of my casual and formal wear is of the warm toned chocolate brown or khaki variety - I have been personally rawking classic chocolate/tan brown suede and leather adidas shell toes something like this:

CnCXuzFncfMcurt.jpg

On most of my RCCL and CCL cruises over the past 5 to 10 years.

They fit my personality and style.

They are great for daytime cruise and excursion shoes - and they totally fit with my casual but nice clothes for the main dining room on casual nights for both RCCL and CCL cruiselines. (They'd work also for Princess and NCL).

So, there's my professional 2 cents.

Hopefully this is helpful, and I'm more than happy to continue the options, opinions and discussion with anyone (but you have to give me some time, between my work schedule, my wife, and my baby; I'm not having as much time on the boards as I used to have!).

Cheers!

Wow, talk about a reply..

Thanks for the great input, I was starting to doubt my own fashion sense when hearing that my converse would not go well with my linen's.. allthough I had seen it many times before in pictures like in your above post.

I too agree that the Sandals are the standard way to go, but I would just not feel comfortable with wearing a Sandal in a posh restaurant so the same would apply to the MDR for me.

Okay have to go, gotta pack my entire range of Converse into my suitcase.. haha.

Cheers again to all for your input, hope this thread helps some other poor guys in the future :)

Mick

Curt! :)

I'm so glad you posted here! This question is so timely because we just bought DH some linen pants to wear on our March 2012 cruise...and I've been wondering about what is appropriate footwear for the MDR for the casual nights. So helpful!

Archived