LGBT Liberty of the Seas 10-29-2011 Transatlantic Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale (Pt2)

CC Help Jenn

Spent a few hours this afternoon in panic after I read a thread indicating that your passport has to expire 6 months after your return or you could be denied boarding. Mine expired in 5 months of our return to FLL :eek:. Now $170.00 poorer to the US government I should have a shiny new book in 2 weeks. My little contribution to deficit reduction.
That happened to me in 2006 before a Freedom sailing. Back then it was RCI rules that your passport had to have 6 months on it, not the US immigration. Anyway I renewed mine and the UK agency added the remaining time onto the new passort so it didn't expire for 10 yrs and 5 months. Then the US ESTA system wouldn't accept it as they didn't believe someone could have a passport valid for more than 10 years! They sorted it in the end and changed the ESTA application system. Edited by peteukmcr

Good morning all, we've away for a few days staying with friends near Northampton and watching some cricket when the weather allowed. While I don't like the rain and rather cool temps here I am very glad that we don't get 100 F for weeks on end, hurricanes or earthquakes of any magnitude. I watched the NBC news at 11.30 last night and it was amazing to see that the Pentagon was evacuated. Good to hear that there were few injuries.

We didn't have internet access while away and on our return had an email from someone who had booked our Orange Bus in Tenerife and now cancelled. Popped very briefly last night on to the main RC and put out a call for others and this a.m. have 2 more people, thank goodness. I am committed to paying the whole amount for the bus, so didn't want to be left with empty seats.

Now for a bit of speed reading to catch up.

Corinne

Sherry - I googled 'The Help' looks like it would be good, will have to look out for it opening here - never seems to be any good movies with a good storyline these days.

Thanks for the link Paul.

Starting to think I should stop watching the news - it's always bad. Let's hope Hurricane Irene fizzles out/downgraded (whatever they call it).

BADLY NEED CHEERED UP - MAYBE ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR JOKES GEORGE?

Mhairi

Re Halloween

On the last Halloween cruise I was on (Jewel 2009) the person who won the Scariest costume was a 79 year old man dressed in a Borat Mankini :eek: I have mine on order http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/5622627/Borat-Mankini/Product.html and at 270 pounds think I might be in with a chance of winning first prize plus it will not take up much room in my luggage.

Re Halloween

On the last Halloween cruise I was on (Jewel 2009) the person who won the Scariest costume was a 79 year old man dressed in a Borat Mankini :eek: I have mine on order http://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/5622627/Borat-Mankini/Product.html and at 270 pounds think I might be in with a chance of winning first prize plus it will not take up much room in my luggage.

a 7

Not a lot frightens me but a 79 year old guy in that is scary :eek:

Re Halloween

George: you are too funny :D

Karen, Glad you got it, that's the sprit!

To all the movers and shakers out east, Just standard for us CA folks . Sounds as if everyone is OK. For us architects, a good one every now and then keeps us in business. Oh, and don't ask me where I was or what I was doing when the Northridge quake hit.....it was fun.....

Spent a few hours this afternoon in panic after I read a thread indicating that your passport has to expire 6 months after your return or you could be denied boarding. Mine expired in 5 months of our return to FLL :eek:. Now $170.00 poorer to the US government I should have a shiny new book in 2 weeks. My little contribution to deficit reduction.

Paul....I think you just gained entrance to our NC....;):D

Re Halloween

George....LOL, I think I can happily go through the rest of my life WITHOUT seeing that.....:eek:

Peter....Hope you feel better!!! I'm sending you some virtual chicken soup.

Edited by KeywestK

Sounds like everyone is okay in the earthquake zone it just seems like it is one thing after another.... hurricanes, tornados, floods etc. pretty scary

Off to see the movie The Help, hope it is good....

Let me know what you thought. I read the book that was wonderful and then saw the movie. Can you say Oscar nominations? You know Hilliy is Ron Howard's daughter. She looks like little Opie!

Sorry, I had to do this: You asked this in the LGBT forum? http://gaylife.about.com/od/fashion/a/gayhalloween.htm

We really do have a quandary, though, since having trouble with the airline baggage limits :mad:. Guys, any suggestions?

Paul you never need to apologize here. We crashed your board. However, I agree you are now a member of the NC!:D

Re Halloween

I will vote for you George as I don't scare easily either. Just beware, right afterwards we will both be heading into the NC. Just bring something to drink please.

So far everyone seems to be okay between earthquakes and hurricanes. My friends daughter is visiting friends in Abaco, Bahamas at the Ocean front home on stilts! They have been trying to get out since Monday and can't so they have to sit it out in this house. I fear for them. It is right on the beach on a small Island. Right in the path!

Anyone on my Seville excursion and if you did not read it on the other board, here is the information for all Saints Day in Seville,

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In reference to the festivities on November 1st – please note that most of monuments will be open that day. Alcazar (Royal Palace) is open, so it won’t be a problem for the visit, as well as Santa Cruz and the Old Jewish Quarter. We still don’t have the Cathedral schedule for that day, (we will know a month in advance). They usually have a lot of religious services on the 1st of Nov (All Saints Days) and might not open for visits (if some in your group would like to attend a mass service during the free time this may be possible). In any case it is possible to visit the Cathedral from the outside.

On this day, most of souvenir shops around Santa Cruz District will be open as well as restaurants and bars. The streets will be festive – and I am sure you will enjoy this day to visit.

Back to work,

Joyce

Looks like everyone went out today. Im not used to seeing this roll call so far down the list.

All of you experience RCL cruisers, I was looking at the wine packages and wonder if they will be available for purchase on board if you run out? Also will the soda card be available for purchase onboard at all or is it just a precruise deal?

Thanks,

Donna

Looks like everyone went out today. Im not used to seeing this roll call so far down the list.

All of you experience RCL cruisers, I was looking at the wine packages and wonder if they will be available for purchase on board if you run out? Also will the soda card be available for purchase onboard at all or is it just a precruise deal?

Thanks,

Donna

Am sure that the soda card is available for purchase onboard and believe the wine packages are too...When you board there will be tables set up around the ship to sign up for the above...

Thanks for letting me be in the NC :D

Different subject, altogether, (ok no Airplane jokes): noticed a kayaking excursion for Malaga. Is the weather and water temp going to be appropriate? Are there any ports that a beach day might work? I know that we are supposed to be touring the old buildings and shopping for trinkets but being from California it might be nice to try a beach day.

Different subject, altogether, (ok no Airplane jokes): noticed a kayaking excursion for Malaga. Is the weather and water temp going to be appropriate? Are there any ports that a beach day might work? I know that we are supposed to be touring the old buildings and shopping for trinkets but being from California it might be nice to try a beach day.

From what I have read it will not be beach weather especially for us it would have to be at least 80 :) Welcome to the NC I am one of the permanent residents always room for more.:D

Thanks,

Donna

Hi Donna, I believe the soda packages are only available on the first day when you are onboard. Even if they are available on day 2 or later you will be charged for the whole number of days of the sailing.

As for wine packages we normally order on day 1 after we board and as Jill said there will be several tables set up for you to order (normally outside Vintages on the Royal Promenade and outside Windjammer on deck 11). Again, I'm not sure if you can purchase these during the sailing, but I wouldn't see why not as you are purchasing a set number of bottles.

Hi Paul, as Sherry said I doubt any location on the Spanish mainland will be warm enough for you Californians or like Sherry from warmer climates. It maybe warm enough when you get to Tenerife or La Palma. I know in previous posts I mentioned beaches close to Santa Cruz on Tenerife and one on La Palma.

Don't be shocked if you see us hardier northern European types in shorts or George in his mankini as anything over 60F is tropical to us!:D

Paul I have been in Spain in Nov and for us from the North (where men are men and sheep are nervous) the weather was great for the beach at about 72 and the sea was warm enough for me to swim, Canary Islands you can go to the beach all year round, it is a pity we are not going into Gran Canaria as that would have given you a chance to have a day at what must be the biggest Gay Beach/Area in the World :) on my last visit I counted 39 Gay Bars in the town of Playa del Ingles :) I will be back in January for a nice restfull 2 weeks :eek:

Booked the Rhapsody B2B Sept 2012 Vancouver - Sydney, this seems to make sense as it is easier and cheaper to get 2 return tickets Glasgow-Sydney-Glasgow and Vancouver-Glasgow-Vancouver and the ship is doing a different route than the Radiance in April.

Matthew you working 3 weeks today ? I will buy you a coffee in the Wilmslow Lounge :)

Paul I have been in Spain in Nov and for us from the North (where men are men and sheep are nervous) the weather was great for the beach at about 72 and the sea was warm enough for me to swim, Canary Islands you can go to the beach all year round, it is a pity we are not going into Gran Canaria as that would have given you a chance to have a day at what must be the biggest Gay Beach/Area in the World :) on my last visit I counted 39 Gay Bars in the town of Playa del Ingles :) I will be back in January for a nice restfull 2 weeks :eek:

Booked the Rhapsody B2B Sept 2012 Vancouver - Sydney, this seems to make sense as it is easier and cheaper to get 2 return tickets Glasgow-Sydney-Glasgow and Vancouver-Glasgow-Vancouver and the ship is doing a different route than the Radiance in April.

Matthew you working 3 weeks today ? I will buy you a coffee in the Wilmslow Lounge :)

George congratulations on your booking. I'm working the week of 12 September but I'm not On Airport at all in September as need to catch up on staff appraisals and 1-2-1's as they don't have them from mid July till 2nd week of September because we are too busy to spare them over peak season and I need to get them done before I finish. Sorry about that would have been nice to meet before BCN. Talking of appraisals it's my 6 monthly today (they can spare Managers:rolleyes:) so that should be fun well it's good for a gossip and a bitching session with my Manager we get 3 hrs so its 15 mins official paperwork and 2.45 hrs bitching it's fab :D

Hope everyone has a great Thursday

Thanks,

Donna

We always buy our wine package on boarding day, but you pose a good question. We're planning on buying the Platinum 5 bottle package, thinking we could always buy more when we run out. Now I'm wondering if that's an option, or if we should just go with the larger package right at the outset....:confused:;) Oy, such decisions......

Rainy morning here, and it has nothing to do with the hurricane!:eek:

Morning/Afternoon..........

Everyone in the path of the hurricane PLEASE hope you all will remain safe!!!! Donna I know your in NC.........

Matthew good luck today.

Karen, I think you just better go for the BIGGER wine package.

Does anyone know if we'll beable to bring liquor onboard after shopping in the ports? I remember we were able to when we did our Greek Islands cruise.

Hope U all have a good day.

Morning/Afternoon..........

Everyone in the path of the hurricane PLEASE hope you all will remain safe!!!! Donna I know your in NC.........

Matthew good luck today.

Karen, I think you just better go for the BIGGER wine package.

Does anyone know if we'll beable to bring liquor onboard after shopping in the ports? I remember we were able to when we did our Greek Islands cruise.

Hope U all have a good day.

LOL, I was thinking about just getting the larger package too, but David doesn't drink as much as I do, and if I'm having cocktails before dinner, then I won't be drinking wine. Is this all just too much information??:eek::D

I didn't think RCI allowed anyone to bring booze onboard. Is it different on the European sailings?? Inquiring minds want to know.....;)

Edited by KeywestK

There is a 'duty free' liquor store (and some other souvenir stores) after check in that you pass in Terminal B immediately before you board. There is a small selection of liquor and wine I believe and others have reported that as long as you put it in your hand luggage you'll be OK. We haven't done it as always concerned about another security check and scan before boarding, but there has never been one.

If you bring bottles from outside the terminal these will be detected during the security scan at the entrance to the check in hall.

Paul, in Malaga, John and I intend to go to a beach resort. We will take a taxi to the main station, Maria Zambrano, which is not far from the port. From there it is very inexpensive to hop on the local train westwards to either Torremolinos or Fuengirola, probably the latter. I am not sure if it will be warm enough to sunbathe or swim, but just to walk by the sea and have lunch at a beach cafe is what draws us.

Because we are due in port till 8.00 pm there is plenty of time that day to enjoy the usual late Spanish lunch time and still be back onboard for Diamond drinks. ;)

Corinne

I just convinced DH that staying on Oak Island til tomorrow when the mandatory evacuation from the hurricane is to begin might not be the smartest move. The traffic will be really bad so he left this evening. Its about a four hour drive but he should be home before the 11 oclock news is done. Hopefully the house will be fine. The storm surge isnt supposed to be horrific. Its times like this that Im glad we decided to buy inland a bit and that our motto of 'anything at the beach house could be blown away and it would be okay' needs to be said a few times. The storm should pass by Sunday and we will probably both go back for a few days.

Thanks all for the help on the wine package and soda cards.

Donna