Tropical Storm Emily

TonyinFla

Closing of the port will depend upon the sea conditions, and Mother Nature is very difficult to predict.

From the path of Emily that I'm looking at on the NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division (Google them for the url) website, she won't be on Miami until noon Saturday the 6th.

You may have a "choppy" start to your cruise, so take along what ever it is that you use to calm your stomach!

Hope your cruise departs on time and smooth sailing.

The latest model projections are shifting more to NE so it may just go out to see and not even hit Florida. These things can change though so keep an eye on it. I like looking at Weather Underground website.

at201105_model.gif

at201105_ensmodel.gif

It looks like Emily will be on Miami Friday when our planned trip on the Sky will be leaving. Do they close the port for Storms? I don't see being able to avoid it?

Hopefully you know that the "official word" from NCL appears on their website, in the form of a special notice right on their home page. I see nothing on there today about Emily, but they are probably waiting until the track of the storm becomes clearer.

Unfortunately, you're dealing with an unpredictable storm that most scenarios put right across the track the Sky needs to sail to get to the Bahamas.

I'd say, at best, you need to be prepared that you may get to the dock and find there's been an itinerary change on your cruise. You might end up going to Cozumel or the Cayman Islands, which would allow the Sky to get out of Miami and sail away from the predicted track of the storm. Not sure how that would work with your four day itinerary, though - those places are further from Miami than the Bahamas.

Yes, the port can close. Our experience was with Hurricane Faye which turned into Tropical Storm Faye, on the Sky out of Miami. The port closed early due to the storm so the ship left early by about 2 hours. The ship cannot be docked with the storm hits land. NCL called passengers the day before to alert them.

This off the news section of this board, regarding Emily, datelined today (8/2):

Cruise Ship Itinerary Changes

Carnival Dream and Carnival Liberty have diverted from planned stops in St. Thomas and are both in port in Grand Turk. According to the cruise line, Carnival Dream will also skip its stop in St. Maarten tomorrow, which will now be a sea day, followed by a visit to Freeport on Thursday. Carnival Liberty will not call in San Juan as scheduled tomorrow, the ship will remain at sea through Wednesday and call in Key West on Thursday, followed by Freeport on Friday.

Caribbean Princess skipped its scheduled call in San Juan today. No further changes have been announced but the line is closely monitoring the storm.

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian Cruise Line also have ships in the area. According to an NCL representative, no changes have been made at this time, but the situation is being monitored closely.

Additionally, Royal Caribbean cancelled scheduled ports calls to St. Thomas and St. Maarten for both Oasis of the Seas and Freedom of the Seas. Oasis spent Monday and Tuesday at sea, and will call in Costa Maya on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday before returning to Fort Lauderdale to conclude its current sailing. Freedom will call in Grand Cayman on Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday, and will begin its return to Fort Lauderdale on Friday.

@Dma60 -

That's the spirit and voice of reason.

Enjoy your cruise, take good care of the ship. Once you are off, DW and I will get on with our 12-yo grandson. He'll turn 13 on the cruise. Our BD present.

Also traveling on the Jewel 8/6. We are a family of 15. Keeping a positive attitude. We are going to have a great time even if we are not able to leave the ship. I can't wait!

we are an extened family of 15 too, 1 group has never cruised before, so we are all anxious to see what happens with this hurricane.

This off the news section of this board, regarding Emily, datelined today (8/2):

Thanks for this helpful info! I never even noticed the news section before you mentioned it. I love CC!

Also traveling on the Jewel 8/6. We are a family of 15. Keeping a positive attitude. We are going to have a great time even if we are not able to leave the ship. I can't wait!

We are also sailing on Sat 8/6 on the Jewel! Join our roll call on the Jewel Roll Call board! Out Meet and Greet is Sunday at 11am in the Star Bar ! Hope to see you all there!!! :o

Jennifer and David :)

Keeping our fingers crossed that Emily heads out to sea!:D

Yes, the port can close. Our experience was with Hurricane Faye which turned into Tropical Storm Faye, on the Sky out of Miami. The port closed early due to the storm so the ship left early by about 2 hours. The ship cannot be docked with the storm hits land. NCL called passengers the day before to alert them.

This is all the more reason to take flights the day before. If you ship was to leave early and you were flying in right before leaving, you would miss the ship.

Also, now I'm wondering when you say that NCL calls passengers the day before to alert them about any changes...most people do fly in before their cruise to extend their vacation. How would those people know about the changes then? We also fly in ahead of time and there would be no way for us to know if this was to happen. We always cruise in the hurricane season (September). :confused:

11a eastern update moved the center of the cone back west a little. Just off Nassau. UGH! :mad:

Unless I am not looking in the right place, NCL still hasn't posted any updates/changes. I guess they want to see what the storm looks like after it crosses Hispaniola.

11a eastern update moved the center of the cone back west a little. Just off Nassau. UGH! :mad:

Unless I am not looking in the right place, NCL still hasn't posted any updates/changes. I guess they want to see what the storm looks like after it crosses Hispaniola.

Wonder if NCL is waiting to make an announcement, like the airlines do, until the National Weather Service puts out an official warning for the US

Think Key West...?

Really, the only other option. Problem is, the ship will have to head south, into the storm, then west to get out of it.

Not a real great alternative, especially for my 14 yr old son's first cruise.

Oh well. We will make it a great time, regardless. ;)

Also, now I'm wondering when you say that NCL calls passengers the day before to alert them about any changes...most people do fly in before their cruise to extend their vacation. How would those people know about the changes then? We also fly in ahead of time and there would be no way for us to know if this was to happen. We always cruise in the hurricane season (September). :confused:

Apologies if I'm misreading your question, but do you mean how could NCL reach you? Cell phone....?

I'm really concerned, NCL should decide something, we're 48 hrs away from the sailing date and it looks like the storm is going exactly thru the ship's route. I've called NCL and nobody knows anything. I had a terrible experience heading from cozumel into miami during Katrina and I dont want to be in a ship if there's a storm nearby, I rather lose the money than having a terrible vacation

It looks like Emily will be on Miami Friday when our planned trip on the Sky will be leaving. Do they close the port for Storms? I don't see being able to avoid it?

It is rare for them to close a port due to the weather, especially since this doesn't seem to be developing into a majoy hurricane. Of course the next day or so everything could chage.

Nita

Wonder if NCL is waiting to make an announcement, like the airlines do, until the National Weather Service puts out an official warning for the US

most likely this is the case. We are not talking about missing ports in St Thomas or St Maartin where the storm seems to be heading, we are talking about a ship that won't depart for more than 48 hours. We all know hurricanes and tropical storms can intensify or totally dissolve in that period of time. At this time we are not talking a "Katrina" type of hurricane.

I'm really concerned, NCL should decide something, we're 48 hrs away from the sailing date and it looks like the storm is going exactly thru the ship's route. I've called NCL and nobody knows anything. I had a terrible experience heading from cozumel into miami during Katrina and I dont want to be in a ship if there's a storm nearby, I rather lose the money than having a terrible vacation

Try to look on the bright side. With a counter-clockwise circulating storm that is moving north, the worst part of the storm is the northeast portion of the center of circulation. Unless it takes a major jump to the west, you will not see that action. and with this storm, the tropicla storm force winds do not extend very far out from the center.

most likely this is the case. We are not talking about missing ports in St Thomas or St Maartin where the storm seems to be heading, we are talking about a ship that won't depart for more than 48 hours. We all know hurricanes and tropical storms can intensify or totally dissolve in that period of time. At this time we are not talking a "Katrina" type of hurricane.

It is rare for them to close a port due to the weather, especially since this doesn't seem to be developing into a majoy hurricane. Of course the next day or so everything could chage.

There are more considerations to a tropical storm than just the recorded winds speeds. Tropical storms are some of the biggest tornado producers of all weather events. I work for the USCG, so I know the considerations of the Captain of the Port. It is not rare for them to close a port. If the storm is on track to, or very near the port, they will certainly close the port. One grounded ship and the port is closed for business for a very long time. They can't afford that.

Archived