Weird travel problem-- please help!

natalie2727

My extended family is going on the Magic on 5/20/12. My sister (L) and I started things off by booking a room early saver, then several family members booked rooms. Now our other sister (M) wants to go. Unfortunately, M has cancer, and doctors have told her they have done all they can do for her. She also has special needs in addition to the cancer. L wants me to move from our room and room with M. If I do this, L can then invite her friend to room with her. L doesn't want her friend to have to room with M because of her special needs. My question is, what is the penalty for moving from one room to another when you booked using early saver? Is it even possible? If I then book a new room with M, what will happen if she is too sick to travel next May? We would both have travel insurance. I very much appreciate any advice to help with this problem!

Every insurance policy is different, so I would pick carefully.

If you decide to cancel your booking, both of you will pay $50 pp to cancel and the rest of the deposit can go toward a future booking. If you are wanting to add to a booking already booked, it cannot be used for that.

If you paid both deposits, you can fax a form which needs to be notarized I believe saying you paid both deposits and the rest of the deposits can both be held in your name toward another cruise.

ES is the worst possible way to book if you think you might not be able to go. There are been people in ICU and there are no exceptions to the no name change rule.

btw if L is booked ES she cannot replace you. She still either has to totally cancel or has to move to a triple and you would be a no show to invite a 2nd person. No name changes, which you agreed to by booking this fare. I got caught in it too, my sister got married, and I could not replace her. .. thats why I am totally sure no exceptions. I cruised solo and she was a no show.

Still thinking .. the best I can come up with is for M to book the other person in her cabin and once onboard you all can then switch cabins without paying all the fees that would be involved in what you want to do.

Since your cruise is way out of the (75 day) penalty window. You could just cancel and re-book however you want. Your travel agent and/or Carnival may charge you a small fee though.

Inside of the penalty window just switch keys and rooms. Informally do whatever arrangement works for your party.

Since your cruise is way out of the (75 day) penalty window. You could just cancel and re-book however you want. Your travel agent and/or Carnival may charge you a small fee though.

Inside of the penalty window just switch keys and rooms. Informally do whatever arrangement works for your party.

OP said they were booked ES with nonrefundable deposits and no name changes allowed .. MAY charge a penalty .. I would say 110% for sure.

Just switch rooms once you get onboard.

Exactly

L & Natalie are booked ES now

M & friend want to book

Onboard switch cabins so that L & Friend are together and Natalie & M are together.

I would say if they are both booked currently then just go to Guest Services once onboard and have the room keys switched. I have read on here where others have done this with no problem. Plus this way will allow you to not have to pay any Extra fees or charges.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.......Prayers with Her and your Family!

Agree with the others. Read any insurance policy very carefully. It is quite likely that you will not be able to find an affordable one that would cover cancellation due to M's pre-existing condition. By the way, best wishes and prayers for M.

I would say if they are both booked currently then just go to Guest Services once onboard and have the room keys switched. I have read on here where others have done this with no problem. Plus this way will allow you to not have to pay any Extra fees or charges.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.......Prayers with Her and your Family!

I agree with this. This is the best way to handle your situation.

Still thinking .. the best I can come up with is for M to book the other person in her cabin and once onboard you all can then switch cabins without paying all the fees that would be involved in what you want to do.

OP looks like everyone came up with the same plan .. only way to get what you want without a lot of extra expense.

Archived