Just off allure western

Just off Allure yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Pre-cruise: Stayed at Embassy Suites. Decent hotel, although getting old, in a great location. Dinner at Kelly's Landing was outstanding.

Ship: Huge, beautiful, classy, amazing, etc. It's hard to think of anything they didn't get right in the design of this ship. We had two connecting oceanview balconies on deck 10 near aft, starboard side. Cabin was great with nice tv and ipod docks with speakers. A little smaller than Freedom cabin. I think it would be hard to have more than two in cabin. The only issue I could have with the ship is the lack of a true promenade where you can walk and sit with an unobstructed view of the ocean but the rest of the Allure certainly makes up for this minor shortcoming. Grade- A+

Dining: Ate most breakfasts and lunches at Park Cafe. We loved this place. Also did breakfast once at J.R's which was ok and dining room twice, which also was ok. Dinners were at Giovanni's (twice), 150 Park, Chops and Vintages for tapas. Of the specialties, we liked Giovanni's the best and Chops the least. Our two dinners in the dining room (MTD) were very enjoyable. The food was decent, which is all we expected, but the service and atmosphere were very good. We were sorry we didn't do at least one more night in dining room. Grade-A

Ports: Here is the downside to these ships, as the itineraries are not great and there are only three ports. In Labadee we did the waverunner excursion and then just hung in the water. The best port day by far. Grade-A+. In Falmouth we did the Dreamer Cat snorkel and sail. It was very disorganized getting to your meeting place once off the ship. You then had to wait in a huge crowd of people for your group's turn to get on your bus. We were first marched through the HOT parking lot before boarding one of two buses for the aaprox. 40 minute ride to MoBay and the boat. The snorkeling was only decent but once over the boat pretty much just went in circles for another hour or so before returning us to the buses. By that point we all just wanted to get back to the ship and eat lunch as no food was served on the boat. The crew was very nice, though, with an open bar even pre-snorkel. On the way back we sailed right past Doctor's Cave Beach which looked great. Next time we'll just taxi to there. Grade-C+

In Cozumel we booked a snorkel/sail outside RCCL with Cozumel Watersports. This excursion sucked. First off, the boat had no shade whatsoever, even though I was assured via email that it did. Second, the leader had a real attitude problem. He spent the first 20 minutes lecturing us about how we cruise passengers didn't care about Cozumel or his reefs and ocean and only were here for a few hours and then left. He said these things in an accusatory tone and really set a bad vibe. Then he took us to two of the worst snorkeling spots on the island where there was very little to see. I would not recommend CWS in the future for anything. Grade- D

Crew: Everyone we came across was very nice and service was great across the board. Room steward was great as were all waitstaff and bartenders. Grade-A+

Shows: Saw them all except the ice shows. Oceanaria was amazing and very entertaining. It was beautiful sitting outside with my wine watching this show on the first night. Chicago was outstanding as well. SAw the comedy show on last night-very funny. Grade-A+

I think that's all. Summing up, a great cruise on a great ship. Ask if you have any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! We're on Allure in 2 weeks (eastern) - have to agree about the lack of inspiring itineraries! lol

We are also staying at Embassy. I'll have to check out Kelly's Landing - thanks for the recommendation.

We were on the Allure in March, had two cabins on Deck 11, going back next February and we got the same two cabins. Our cabin attendant opened the door immediately for us. We too had heard they don't do that any more, but not true. We love having the balcony opened between the two cabins, it gives a bigger space to sit out in and easier to go in and out of each others cabins without having to go into the hallway. ;)

Did they allow you to open the door between your balcony's ? It's been said that for security reasons they don't let you anymore!

On allure they definitely do. I took this picture to show where a few dividers were open. The picture is too big to post as is, so here is a link to it.

http://mccallw.tripod.com/allure/dividers.jpg

On Freedom (08) and Navigator (09) we were told no.

Gobolts- they will open dividers for you.

Rellyrooly- Park Cafe is in Central Park. For breakfast they have a bagel bar, oatmeal, fruit and egg sandwiches. For lunch they have an extensive sald bar, roast beef sandwiches, various premade sandwiches and paninis.

Forgot to mention we also had lunch at Rita's. Well, my wife and kids did. I got hot dogs from the dog house. I highly reccomend the Wunderdog. Wife and kids didn't love the mexican but I had the churros with ice cream for dessert and they were awesome.

thanks alot for sharing with us:)

we leave in 4 weeks. will be staying at the embassy suites , having dinner at kellys landing ,AND will be in oceanview balcony cabin on deck 10 near aft elevators on port side:D

funny, its like your review was made just for me:p:cool:

dave

We were on the Allure in March, had two cabins on Deck 11, going back next February and we got the same two cabins. Our cabin attendant opened the door immediately for us. We too had heard they don't do that any more, but not true. We love having the balcony opened between the two cabins, it gives a bigger space to sit out in and easier to go in and out of each others cabins without having to go into the hallway. ;)

On allure they definitely do. I took this picture to show where a few dividers were open. The picture is too big to post as is, so here is a link to it.

http://mccallw.tripod.com/allure/dividers.jpg

On Freedom (08) and Navigator (09) we were told no.

We were just on Oasis and they also opened the two balconies for us. Enjoy we certainly did. What an amazing ship and I am sure Allure is the same.

I am not doubting anyone's experience, but the report about "not" opening balcony dividers on the Allure said that it was a new policy as of August 1.

So unless anyone is reporting from August, these assurances may not be accurate.

Or they may be. ;)

Thank you for your review. Going on Allure in October; the more info, the better! Can you tell me more about Park Cafe? Where is it? Is that the cafe in the promenade?

The park cafe is located on Deck 8 in the middle of central park. Also located in this area is Chops,Giovanni's and 150 Central Park; there is also a bar located near park cafe; and the rising tide bar which goes from promenade deck 5 to central park deck 8.

1849563543_100_0734(480x640).jpg.016579265762dce012e004cecafb2139.jpg

we leave in 4 weeks. will be staying at the embassy suites , having dinner at kellys landing ,AND will be in oceanview balcony cabin on deck 10 near aft elevators on port side:D

dave

I highly recommend the lobster roll and fried oysters. Oh, the lobster rangoon too.

dave

Hi Dave, We are locals and Kelly's is a favorite of ours. As a relocated Bostonian it is one of the few places where I can get 'real' New England Fried Clams!

In Cozumel we booked a snorkel/sail outside RCCL with Cozumel Watersports. This excursion sucked. First off, the boat had no shade whatsoever, even though I was assured via email that it did. Second, the leader had a real attitude problem. He spent the first 20 minutes lecturing us about how we cruise passengers didn't care about Cozumel or his reefs and ocean and only were here for a few hours and then left. He said these things in an accusatory tone and really set a bad vibe. Then he took us to two of the worst snorkeling spots on the island where there was very little to see. I would not recommend CWS in the future for anything. Grade- D

Be sure to call RCCL Corp Guest relations and file a complaint against this vendor with RCCL. RCCL needs to hear from guests about this and other terrible shore excursion vendors. We had this vendor before and complained as well.

Snorkeling and only seeing 1 little piece of coral and a few fish on what they brag is one of the best spots in the world...urgh!!! I may be spoiled to have dived Fiji and the Great Barrier Reef (2 different times) as well as further down the barrier reef in Roatan...and Cozumel was a total dud...

Unless RCCL gets enough complaints to justify changing vendors it likely will not happen. So for the benefit of yourself on a future cruise and other cruisers do call and complain.

Be sure to call RCCL Corp Guest relations and file a complaint against this vendor with RCCL. RCCL needs to hear from guests about this and other terrible shore excursion vendors. We had this vendor before and complained as well.

Snorkeling and only seeing 1 little piece of coral and a few fish on what they brag is one of the best spots in the world...urgh!!! I may be spoiled to have dived Fiji and the Great Barrier Reef (2 different times) as well as further down the barrier reef in Roatan...and Cozumel was a total dud...

Unless RCCL gets enough complaints to justify changing vendors it likely will not happen. So for the benefit of yourself on a future cruise and other cruisers do call and complain.

He said that it was NOT a Royal Caribbean excursion.

Right, it was booked directly with Cozumel Watersports. I complained to them and they responded with some B.S. about the sail providing shade, blah blah blah. We've always had good experiences booking ourselves so I guess the odds caught up with us.

Archived