FOS questions

Going on FOS in September. First cruise for us. Am just wondering about attire in the Windjammer. Are shorts acceptable with a tank top? Can DS, who is 12, wear a bathing suit with a tee shirt or does he need to go back to our room and change before lunch?

Is breakfast in the MDR worth it or would you suggest the Windjammer? If I choose to go to the MDR for breakfast, do I have a set time I have to go or is it open seating? Breakfast is DS's best meal of the day and he gets up very early so I want to have some basic information prior to sailing.

Thanks!!

Going on FOS in September. First cruise for us. Am just wondering about attire in the Windjammer. Are shorts acceptable with a tank top? Can DS, who is 12, wear a bathing suit with a tee shirt or does he need to go back to our room and change before lunch?

Is breakfast in the MDR worth it or would you suggest the Windjammer? If I choose to go to the MDR for breakfast, do I have a set time I have to go or is it open seating? Breakfast is DS's best meal of the day and he gets up very early so I want to have some basic information prior to sailing.

Thanks!!

We did FOS last summer and had a blast! Shorts and tank will be fine in the windjammer and so will bathing suit and tanker. It is a bit chilly in there though. We ate breakfast once in the MDR and it was very good. They had a buffetvset up or you could order off of the menu. It's fun to try the MDR once while on board.

Going on FOS in September. First cruise for us. Am just wondering about attire in the Windjammer. Are shorts acceptable with a tank top?Absolutely! Can DS, who is 12, wear a bathing suit with a tee shirt or does he need to go back to our room and change before lunch?Yes, just put on a tee and some flip flops and go eat:)

Is breakfast in the MDR worth it or would you suggest the Windjammer? I liked the service and the food seemed fresher in the MDR, but there is a dress code, so the WJ is nice if you want to go to the pool after If I choose to go to the MDR for breakfast, do I have a set time I have to go or is it open seating? There is a window of time that the MDR is open, but no specific seating time. Breakfast is DS's best meal of the day and he gets up very early so I want to have some basic informat

Thanks!!

Have a great time!

Breakfast in the MDR is so nice! AND if you happen to like eggs benedict, you just need to tell your breakfast waiter you want to try it - it's not on the menu, but they still make it to order.

Seating is open. The MDR is open for a time period in the morning, something like 7:30 to 9:30 I think. But this may differ on the FOS, so just check the daily Cruise Compass (left in your room every day - there will be one on the first day when you board too.) The MDR hours for breakfast will be listed. You will most likely be seated at a large table with other people at breakfast and lunch since seating is open - we think that's kind of fun! But there are also some smaller tables available if that's your preference.

The MDR dress is a bit nicer than the WJ, but many people are in shorts in the MDR at breakfast and lunch. Shirts with sleeves are required for guys (no tank tops.)

Your DS may want to have a pre-breakfast in the Windjammer, which opens earlier than the MDR, and then go to the MDR for the real deal. Also, the Promenade Cafe will have breakfast food, and it's always open. It's a CRUISE so you can eat as often as you want, as many times a day as you want!

We hope your family has a blast, and I have a feeling your DS will enjoy all the food choice venues. My DS is 29 now, but as I recall, at 12 he tended to always be hungry - too bad we weren't cruising back then...we could have actually filled him up!;)

I prefer the sit down and be served for breakfast only that it always closes at 9:30 and I get up at 9:15am so we either miss breakfast totally (about time we get showered and dressed then arrive) and have to wait for the lunch or we go to the windjammer. I would like to see breakfast in the MDR to be open till at least 10:30 think thats very fair, but its not that way.

If they kept breakfast open that late in the MDR they would not have time to set up for lunch.

Breakfast in the MDR is definitely a treat. If your son is an early riser and the MDR isn't open you can get something small for him in the WJ and then head to the MDR/

Good luck and happy sailing. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

Only the Windjammer is open for lunch on embarkation day - not the MDR. Also the Promenade Cafe will be open (if the ship has one) with sandwiches and desserts. I'm not sure about Sorrento's (pizza place) but I think it's open as well.

The Windjammer is come as your are. It is on the same deck as the pool. People run in and out to grab food. Just cover up. I ran in from the pool to get a snack and I forgot my flipflops and the guy at the door nailed me! I just ran out to my lounge chair and grabbed them. I even went in with my cover up, but still wet.

There are tables in the shade on the pool deck. You can grab some food and take it out there and enjoy!

Sorrento's pizza was great. Much better than any Sorrento's I had at our local malls. Also they have panini sandwiches - which take about 10 minutes and small cups of dessert. My kids ate their weight in the chocolate ones!

Also before you enter the Windjammer they make everyone use hand sanitizer. I think that is a great idea because then germs aren't on all the serving spoons.

Archived