Upgrade questions

Mysticalmother

I'll start by saying that I know the upgrade fairy moves in mysterious ways, so my expectations are very little at this stage!!

1. Has anyone been upgraded for part of a cruise, when that cruise is sold as different segments? The context is that we are going on TA followed by a New England & Canada segment. The TA is (apparently) sold out but there are lots of higher grade cabins available (at the moment) on the New England part.

2. If the upgrade fairy visits, when does that happen? I think I read somewhere that it is only about 2 weeks beforehand. is that right?

Thanks.

I'll start by saying that I know the upgrade fairy moves in mysterious ways, so my expectations are very little at this stage!!

1. Has anyone been upgraded for part of a cruise, when that cruise is sold as different segments? The context is that we are going on TA followed by a New England & Canada segment. The TA is (apparently) sold out but there are lots of higher grade cabins available (at the moment) on the New England part.

2. If the upgrade fairy visits, when does that happen? I think I read somewhere that it is only about 2 weeks beforehand. is that right?

Thanks.

We've been upgraded twice at the check-in desk. Friends were upgraded on one occasion 8 weeks prior to departure.

Gari

Thanks.

Did you book it as two segments or as the New England & Canadian Wonders of 17 nights? If the TA is sold out already, I'm not sure you would get an upgrade?

I can't answer question number 1, but as for the second question, upgrades for me can happen at any time. I usually book well in advance, an inside or cheapest balcony depending if I am going to be alone or if I have a companion. If price goes down, I contact my travel agent and usually adjustment includes an upgrade and many times, additional on board credit. Sometimes even a price decrease. I sometimes also get upgraded when I get my travel documents and have also been upgraded at check in. One just never knows. I think all lines are good to past passengers, I usually travel on the QM2 2 or 3 times a year.

I can't answer question number 1, but as for the second question, upgrades for me can happen at any time. I usually book well in advance, an inside or cheapest balcony depending if I am going to be alone or if I have a companion. If price goes down, I contact my travel agent and usually adjustment includes an upgrade and many times, additional on board credit. Sometimes even a price decrease. I sometimes also get upgraded when I get my travel documents and have also been upgraded at check in. One just never knows. I think all lines are good to past passengers, I usually travel on the QM2 2 or 3 times a year.

That's because you're in the US. The original poster is from the UK.

Thanks.

In all honesty I think that it is unlikely that you will get an upgrade for the New England sector, they are normally very popular with our cousins who may well book late, one should never give up hope of course but...:(

Did you book it as two segments or as the New England & Canadian Wonders of 17 nights? If the TA is sold out already, I'm not sure you would get an upgrade?

We booked as the 17 nights (M124B) whilst on board the QV in May last year (2010). The Westbound TA seems to be sold out - there's no availability showing on Cunard's webiste and none of the UK usual agents seem to be offering it. But the 10 night New England and Canadian segment (NY round trip) shows a lot of availability at all cabin grades. We'd be quite happy to move (Upgrade) cabin from New York if offerred!

As I said I am not expectimg anything! (But wouldn't it be nice!)

We've been upgraded twice at the check-in desk. Friends were upgraded on one occasion 8 weeks prior to departure.

Gari

Twice upgrade at check-in - very nice! I've been rehearsing my reaction should I ever be upgraded at check in. Happily for those nearby, I have yet to share my performance :( :D On average, my cabin assigned 90 days prior to voyage has been unchanged. -S.

Thanks.

Did you book a guarantee category, or a specfic cabin? If you booked a specfic cabin for all three segments in one booking, Cunard has not much flexibility in moving you to upgrades for all three segements, but it could work. Hope you get a nice visit from the UpGradeFairy, but no matter, you will enjoy your voyage. (Wait until you see the changes made at the Halifax Port...delightful!) Cheers, Salacia

We received an upgrade ( Okay, it was a GTY , but still an upgrade) 2 weeks prior to our June TA .

Up until that day , there were a few Inside cat's , no Oceanview , a few Balcony cat's , no PG , a few QG cat's.

Then suddenly that day there were no more QG & Balcony but lots more Inside cat's opened up.

That was the upgrade day I suppose , 2 weeks before sailing .;)

I imagine it would be impossible to be upgraded from B categories to the Grills?

It does happen. Rarely. Usually it happens when they need to fill the cheaper cabins first. Sometimes if all the "inside" cabins aren't filled is when upgrades really happen.

Much more likely to an A4, I've always feared...

Hi Underwatr. That has also been my fear. Currently, I have a deposit on a B5 Guarantee category, but I received a promo in the mail from Cunard that shows A4 category at a much lower price for that voyage. Since I would not be happy with an A4 even at the lower price, I'm going to stick with B5 guarantee (unless the NYSE falls further and then I'm just going to swim alongside the ship:)).

I haven't read anything on this forum about any B Guarantee Category passenger being allocated an A4 "upgrade", (comments welcome) but I have read that passengers booked an A4 Guar and were suprised that they got what they booked.

Cheers,

Salacia

We were once upgraded from C to PG on QE2 AFTER embarkation!!! We were called to the Pursers Desk by tannoy and told to move immediately or lose it!!!! They wanted the C cabin for a guest pianist - go figure.

Ken

We were once upgraded from C to PG on QE2 AFTER embarkation!!! We were called to the Pursers Desk by tannoy and told to move immediately or lose it!!!! They wanted the C cabin for a guest pianist - go figure.

Ken

Now that is an upgrade I would have taken.

On my 29 day cruise in Feb on QV, I was informed on the 12th day that on the 14th I would have to move out of my oversized inside D2 to a smaller cabin albeit with a small non opening window. Apparently a family of three wanted a larger cabin!.

Since I had booked my cabin specifically over a year before and had occupied it for 12 days, I refused to move. Hotel Manager not very happy with me, told me I was being "difficult", that the cabin being offered although smaller was considered an "upgrade"

I did NOT see it that way

This is the only time I have been asked to move in the middle of a cruise, and think it was solely due to the fact I was solo ,female, and very senior in age .

I do not know what they did for the "we want a large cabin" famil" but this old gray mare proved to be a very stubborn old mule!

...Since I had booked my cabin specifically over a year before and had occupied it for 12 days, I refused to move... the cabin being offered although smaller was considered an "upgrade"...

That's the problem: Cunard considers any cabin grade higher than the one booked to be an "upgrade". But if you booked a specific stateroom and marked "do not upgrade" you were within your rights to stand firm. It was not your obligation to remedy the family's failure to determine if their accommodation was suitable for them at their time of booking.

(Solos often get shamed and browbeaten into accommodating families in many places. "She's alone! She should move for the children!")

I do not know what they did for the "we want a large cabin" famil" but this old gray mare proved to be a very stubborn old mule!

Good on you - I would have done exactly the same as you!

Thanks for all your replies folks - I will be happy with my A2 if we are not upgraded....but wouldn't a PG or QG be nice as it's our wedding anniversary whilst on board!

Good on you - I would have done exactly the same as you!

Thanks for all your replies folks - I will be happy with my A2 if we are not upgraded....but wouldn't a PG or QG be nice as it's our wedding anniversary whilst on board!

I'm still waiting for the upgrade fairy to wave the wand too... alas she keeps flying on by :rolleyes:

Cunard are getting very stingey in their 'Anniversary' whilst on board department as I discovered via this forum... They no longer give any kind of benefits (Champagne, Flowers, Photo etc). I was advised to call up and check that they were going to honour our package since we booked prior to the withdrawal. Indeed, they had withdrawn the freebies :( However, when I pointed out the date that we had paid our deposit, the nice lady on the end of the phone said she still had a special code and duly applied it :)

I do think this rather sucks as they only offer it for 'significant' anniversaries and we are rather pleased that we have reached one of those :D When my in laws did Princess for their 50th recently, the got a whole bunch of extra's including an automatic upgrade to a balcony... same company but not the same policy :mad:

Cunard are getting very stingey in their 'Anniversary' whilst on board department as I discovered via this forum... They no longer give any kind of benefits (Champagne, Flowers, Photo etc). I was advised to call up and check that they were going to honour our package since we booked prior to the withdrawal. Indeed, they had withdrawn the freebies :( However, when I pointed out the date that we had paid our deposit, the nice lady on the end of the phone said she still had a special code and duly applied it :)

I do think this rather sucks as they only offer it for 'significant' anniversaries and we are rather pleased that we have reached one of those :D When my in laws did Princess for their 50th recently, the got a whole bunch of extra's including an automatic upgrade to a balcony... same company but not the same policy :mad:

Can I ask are you in the UK or US/Canada? I know the policy differs and I am expecting my benefits as I booked in June 2010 when the Anniversary benefits were definately still offered. I will be well miffed if I don't find they have honoured this when I get on board! I haven't checked the UK site as I write but am going to do so now, and also check with my agent.

Can I ask are you in the UK or US/Canada? I know the policy differs and I am expecting my benefits as I booked in June 2010 when the Anniversary benefits were definately still offered. I will be well miffed if I don't find they have honoured this when I get on board! I haven't checked the UK site as I write but am going to do so now, and also check with my agent.

Passengers booking through the US (and that includes Canadians) were not, theoretically, entitled to the anniversary package. But I found if we wrote a letter to the California office with a copy of the marriage licence, acknowledging that "we know we are not enititled to the package but if Cunard could do any little thing to help us celebrate the anniversary we would appreicate it" we received a reply that we would get the full package as offered to those in the UK. This happened twice. As I said in an earlier discussion of this subject, we booked our May 2011 crossing in Sept. 2010 - the complimentary package was cancelled in April - and we did receive all the promised goodies.

I booked the cheapest inside cabin as a single at 175% of the regular fair when the schedule for next year's transatlantic schedule came out. When Cunard started to promote that sailing with insides, oceanviews, balconies the same price, I contacted my travel agent. I was upgraded to the A4 and my on board credit was doubled. Like many others, I would prefer the in hull balcony as I have been in an A4 before (and many readers do not consider this a good upgrade) but its nice to be in a full sized cabin as a single. I have to laugh because when I first started to read these boards, there were howls of protest about the in hull cabins: "you have to stand up to see the view" etc. I do have an in hull balcony on deck 4 midship for my December crossing.

Normally I book the cheapest inside cabin when doing a 7-14 day cruise, and going from an inside to one with a small window would be acceptable.

But the D2 and D1 on QV are much larger, and have a couch so when doing a longer cruise like 29 days I booked the D2. for the space and comfort.

For my upcoming cruise Aug22-Set 5, the price went down and various cabins of higher grade than my D7 were offered at same prices. so my agent obtained a balcony cabin for me at the better price, and I am grateful to her for this

For QV in Feb 2012 I have booked a D1 for the larger space and comfort for the 17 day cruise LA to NY.

We cannot control the "upgrade fairy" so booking a cabin you will be happy to be in is essential just in case you do not get upgraded.

We are resident in the UK and therefore booked in the UK though we did it direct with Cunard. Interestingly, I had called them on more than one occaison in the early days of having booked, since we wanted to know more about Cruise Credits (friends and family wanting idea's for our anniversary gifts), asking about extending our stay in Venice, where should I send the marriage certificate etc., On every one of these calls, the subject of our Silver Anniversary had come up. When I range them I thought to myself, this is just a formality, for sure there isn't going to be a problem.... Shock Horror at being told 'you didn't inform us at the time of booking that it was a significant anniversary'!:confused:

Suggest, you call them up tomorrow with the date you booked to hand and make sure they have your package booked and if they don't, make sure they jolly well honour it and don't give up until they do! If you booked with a T/A then call them up and get them to call and check... tell them you want it in writing... I did.

I know some people will think it silly that we are getting het up about a few little extras but it is principal of honouring what you had advertised at the time the customer booked. :p I do love Cunard as it proved to be everything I ever dreamed going on a cruise would be like... However, in the short time we have been sailing with them, we have noticed a difference in the services, menu choices, entertainment on offer when compared with some other very similar lines.

Let me know how you get on!

Debbie

Archived