Christmas gifts for staff

BrusselsGirl07

We will be on the Century for Christmas and would like to take a small gift for our room attendant, waiter and waiter's assistant to give them on Christmas day. If you have done this before, what did you give? I wonder what they would find useful? If anyone is cruising at the moment, could you ask your room attendant what they would appreciate if they were to be given a gift? Thanks in advance for responses!!

Thanks for the link, I did so a search but obviously used the wrong search terms.

If staff send letters home, are they able to post them through some system on the ship, or do they have to use local postage? Perhaps as well as cash, I could include some envelopes, writing paper and stamps that can be posted from Australia to the rest of the world?

Thanks for the link, I did so a search but obviously used the wrong search terms.

If staff send letters home, are they able to post them through some system on the ship, or do they have to use local postage? Perhaps as well as cash, I could include some envelopes, writing paper and stamps that can be posted from Australia to the rest of the world?

Maybe they don't write home? As mentioned in that thread I posted, well worth reading all the way through, maybe they use a Calling Card? And maybe they don't do that either? Maybe they have cell phones and they call or text. There's no way to tell for sure.

Not everyone wants material gifts from a stranger regardless of how well meant the thought behind that gift. Cash works best. It's as simple as that.

I think the idea is lovely :) But it does depend on their religion too as some people won't celebrate Christmas at all. We cruised on Christmas day a few years ago and I think we gave them an extra tip.

On our last cruise, I was talking to our waiter and long gone are the days of writing to or even phoning home. They use Skype through the internet on the ship. Apparently a lot cheaper and they get to see their families at the same time.

I think the idea is lovely :) But it does depend on their religion too as some people won't celebrate Christmas at all. We cruised on Christmas day a few years ago and I think we gave them an extra tip.

It would be wonderful if we could give a little extra gift or tip on the holidays important to those crew members who are most likely not Christian. Is your steward from Indonesia? He or she probably observes Ramadan, for instance. It would be difficult, though, to keep up with all the possible holidays and gift-giving traditions of such a multinational crew with a wide range of religions and customs.

Money.

Why carry more stuff? Naturally the staff will tell you how grateful they are for the stuff you gave them but money is king.

The staff usually uses the internet to keep in contact with their family. On a port day they will find a place with free wifi.

I'm going to go against the grain. On a memorable Christmas cruise, my sister-in-law and I went to the ship's jewellery shop and selected gifts for our two lovely DR waitresses. We chose tasteful gemstone earings, the stones to suit each girl. It wasn't a lot of money.

The gift shop provided lovely wrapping, and assured us that the girls could return or exchange. However, based on the tearful acceptance of a thoughtful gift, I'm fairly certain that the girls kept their earings.

Guys? That's another story ... stick with cash!

Whether someone celebrates Christmas is, in my opinion, irrelevant. Christmas is about giving gifts to those around us, be they friends, relatives, strangers, and to those in need. I have received gifts from friends of various religions on their gift-giving holidays, and have sent gifts back on my gift-giving holiday. I celebrate by giving, and I try to pick something I think they want or need or would use. In this case, with the tight quarters the crew must share, I agree that only the smallest of items would be appropriate, and money is always the right color and size.

Whether someone celebrates Christmas is, in my opinion, irrelevant.

I also surround myself with a very diverse group of people, however one never knows when another may be insulted by accepting a gift during a holiday season that may go against their grain. ;)

I also surround myself with a very diverse group of people, however one never knows when another may be insulted by accepting a gift during a holiday season that may go against their grain. ;)

How about this-- have an envelope of cash ready, approach the crew member and say, "We realize you may not necessarily be Christian, but we'd like you to have this extra gift in the spirit of gift giving that goes along with Christmas. If this is a problem for you, we understand, and you won't offend us if you don't accept it." If they say no, put the cash back in your pocket.

I had a whole rant about too much PC, but decided this was better.:o

:)

We will be on the Century for Christmas and would like to take a small gift for our room attendant, waiter and waiter's assistant to give them on Christmas day. If you have done this before, what did you give? I wonder what they would find useful? If anyone is cruising at the moment, could you ask your room attendant what they would appreciate if they were to be given a gift? Thanks in advance for responses!!

We gave gift bags with tshirts from our hometown and lots of chocolates! We brought them for our Maitre d, waiter, room attendent, favorite waiters and waitresses. They were thankful that we thought enough of them to do this. Most said they missed getting little gifts at the holidays and it made us all feel good. Go for it.. :)

So, you are suggesting no gift at all at Christmas, am I reading that correctly?

I still go with what I was taught, give a gift if you wish to, and say "thank you" if you receive one.

No, not at all. I'm suggesting additional cash, additional tips. ;)

How about this-- have an envelope of cash ready, approach the crew member and say, "We realize you may not necessarily be Christian, but we'd like you to have this extra gift in the spirit of gift giving that goes along with Christmas. If this is a problem for you, we understand, and you won't offend us if you don't accept it." If they say no, put the cash back in your pocket.

I had a whole rant about too much PC, but decided this was better.:o

LOL, TMI. We don't use envelopes. A simple thank you with maybe a handshake when offering cash works for us. p.s. I know many non-Christians who celebrate Christmas. :D

I'm going to go against the grain. On a memorable Christmas cruise, my sister-in-law and I went to the ship's jewellery shop and selected gifts for our two lovely DR waitresses. We chose tasteful gemstone earings, the stones to suit each girl. It wasn't a lot of money.

The gift shop provided lovely wrapping, and assured us that the girls could return or exchange. However, based on the tearful acceptance of a thoughtful gift, I'm fairly certain that the girls kept their earings.

Guys? That's another story ... stick with cash!

Hi....very nice:) that is something I have done but it was not for

Christmas. A surprise for a longtime crewmember I have been

friendly with for all 8 years I have been sailing with Celebrity.

I thought she might cry but smiled and gave me a big hug instead:)

Hi....very nice:) that is something I have done but it was not for

Christmas. A surprise for a longtime crewmember I have been

friendly with for all 8 years I have been sailing with Celebrity.

I thought she might cry but smiled and gave me a big hug instead:)

Hi Lois! That's nice. I'd do the same for a crewmember I had known for a long time. :)

There is nothing better than additional cash and there is no need to put them on the spot by mentioning whether they celebrate Christmas.

The point of giving a Christmas gift is lost if Christmas isn't mentioned. Maybe you know it was a Christmas gift, but if they don't know, then it's just a larger than average tip. No one has to put anyone on the spot or find out if they even celebrate Christmas or not, just say that you have a Christmas gift to give them, if that's all right, and assure them that it's fine with you if they must decline your kind offer for whatever reason. I'm sure that even if a crewmember's beliefs would prevent them from accepting such a gift, they'll appreciate the thought behind it.

Archived