Repetitive P&O new menus

Pasty

A vegetarian that doesnt eat carbs. Now thats a hard one to cater for. My partner is a fussy veggie and has never had problems choosing from the mdr menu or the alternative pre-order veggie menu. In fact the head waiters go overboard ensuring there is something suitable. Also, the fresh veg served with the mains is always nice. After three P&O cruises I dont remember ever seeing a salad on the menu. Was it an always available item but just not shown?

I can eat some carbs, but not like P&O have them in their veggie options - terribly heavy and full of stodge! I'd be very ill indeed.

I usually just have a starter, but if I wanted more I used to just ask for a salad, and it would be forthcoming, but if they have decided to remove those.........

Yes, I will tell them in advance, but we don't eat in the MDR that often and we often decide "on the day" where we'll eat, so I don't want to be wasteful.

Page 39, 2012 brochure 'Please let us know your needs and any food allergies when you make your booking.'

I know it might seem a minor matter, but having interviewed a P&O stores manager for a project I am working on, it is the bane of their lives when people don't let them know in advance. What if half the passengers turned out to be veggie ??

Sorry I didn't realise that alternative views and experiences weren't allowed to be posted on this board:rolleyes:!

Sorry I didn't realise that alternative views and experiences weren't allowed to be posted on this board:rolleyes:!

I'm sorry! Of course alternative views are welcome. Just, from a ship's point of view, it helps if they know in advance (as they request) so they offer a full service.

I thought Sharon's response was informative and helpful - I don't see anywhere she indicates that your views or experiences were not allowed or welcome.

Maybe a simple 'thank you' would have been more appropriate!

Every cruise line seems to be downgrading there choice on ships nowadays, the Chef's recommendation seems to imply you can not have a starter and soup. I have only sailed on Princess before and you can have whatever you want from the menu including two mains if you wish! I am travelling next year on the Oriana and I am looking forward to different menus and style and I am sure I won't go hungry.

Can't believe they offer Welsh Rarebit as a main course dinner item!!!! Absurd!

Why? This is one of the choices, there are enough of other ones to pick from. I would be quite happy occasionally with this as a change from the more "classy! offerings. Remember this is a British cruise line with strong Indian connections (Peninsular and Oriental) that seems to offer British themed dishes and always in the self service lunch menus, curries.

We found last month (Oriana) the "grass fed steak" excellent, but the fish a little bland.Starters and puddings generally good. Let's get real, for what we pay for our P&O cruises the food served is pretty good.

David

the Chef's recommendation seems to imply you can not have a starter and soup. I .

The chef's recommendations are just that, of course you can have starter and soup; both are on the menu.

David.

How can someone say its poor quality food just from a menu description?

Well some of the descriptions sound like a 80's pub lunch, melon, prawn cocktail, roast pork it's just missing Black forest gateau :D

But I'm sure the food it better than the it sounds.

Can you mix and match, so will they make you a starter as a main course and do they have a few dishes which are on every day. Last cruise on Costa was a seven course menu so we always swapped and changed hope P&O will do the same.

Well some of the descriptions sound like a 80's pub lunch, melon, prawn cocktail, roast pork it's just missing Black forest gateau :D

But I'm sure the food it better than the it sounds.

Can you mix and match, so will they make you a starter as a main course and do they have a few dishes which are on every day. Last cruise on Costa was a seven course menu so we always swapped and changed hope P&O will do the same.

And what's wrong with that! ;)

All we need is a bottle of Black Tower or Blue Nun and it would be perfect!

In my experience, you are perfectly free to mix and match, have a starter as mains, two starters, two mains even, whatever you like basically. On one cruise I went on, on a table of 8 of us solo travellers, an elderly lady had two of everything, every night! The waiters didn't turn a hair, except that it was delaying the rest of us so long ! In the end we left her to it !

I am a Coeliac and have advised P&O of that for our Arcadia cruise. I have perused the menus posted on here. They look wonderful for the 'normal person. HOWEVER ! I am in trouble, just the Rocket Salad or Fruit Cocktail would be safe for me. Ouch !

I hope the Arcadia Kitchens come up with something for me..I mean, 49 days of lettuce, tomato and fruit salad? LOL. No, not a laughing matter! Crikey..I will be thin when I get off in Southampton !

I am a Coeliac and have advised P&O of that for our Arcadia cruise. I have perused the menus posted on here. They look wonderful for the 'normal person. HOWEVER ! I am in trouble, just the Rocket Salad or Fruit Cocktail would be safe for me. Ouch !

I hope the Arcadia Kitchens come up with something for me..I mean, 49 days of lettuce, tomato and fruit salad? LOL. No, not a laughing matter! Crikey..I will be thin when I get off in Southampton !

I think you will be pleasantly surprised as P&O cater very well for food allergies. I am not coeliac but my sister in law is, so we are well aware of what is required. The Head Waiter will bring you the menu for the next day and they will prepare whatever you want gluten free. There is also a gluten free option at the afternoon tea and the chocoholics!

Brian

OK, so that newbies to cruising and people new to P&O can see what we eat on P&O ships, I have created a album of photos of starters, mains and desserts from the MDR (Main Dining Room), From Rhodes, Marco Pierre White, and Azuras Glasshouse, the coffee shop, room service etc. These photos are taken from my range of ship albums on the present P&O fleet. Enjoy... Don't click if you want to wait until you board.;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/FoodOnPOShips2006Onwards?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnimNLCxfS10QE#5641097501592147490

double click link above.

Why? This is one of the choices, there are enough of other ones to pick from. I would be quite happy occasionally with this as a change from the more "classy! offerings. Remember this is a British cruise line with strong Indian connections (Peninsular and Oriental) that seems to offer British themed dishes and always in the self service lunch menus, curries.

We found last month (Oriana) the "grass fed steak" excellent, but the fish a little bland.Starters and puddings generally good. Let's get real, for what we pay for our P&O cruises the food served is pretty good.

David

Welsh Rarebit is a glorified toasted cheese. It is fine as a snack item, but to offer it as a main course item for dinner is comparable to offering beans on toast! I seriously doubt that you would find it on any restaurant menu other than a cheap cafe! Considering what we pay per night to cruise, I would not feel I was exactly getting value for money! I suppose it is there for the vegetarians, but I feel they could make a little more effort for them - they are not such a small minority these days after all.

Welsh Rarebit is a glorified toasted cheese. It is fine as a snack item, but to offer it as a main course item for dinner is comparable to offering beans on toast! I seriously doubt that you would find it on any restaurant menu other than a cheap cafe! Considering what we pay per night to cruise, I would not feel I was exactly getting value for money! I suppose it is there for the vegetarians, but I feel they could make a little more effort for them - they are not such a small minority these days after all.

There is a lot more choice so not worth getting worked up over IMHO!

I actually like beans on toast!

Three members (mother and two children) of a family my friend knows were recently on Aurora. They had no problems at all. The waiters werw able to advise what was suitable on the main menu or order from the special menu. The waiters even managed to anticipate their arrival at afternoon tea with a cake stand of gluten free cakes ready and waiting.

I know some have already been uploaded, but I thought I would upload my menus from Ventura. If anyone was wondering, everybody gets the menu copies on the last formal night, in a folder (the first image). The food I found to be really good quality and not repetitive at all (A few more starter options wouldn't go amiss though).

I have to mention though my fantastic waiters Fredrico and Sundaram (read their message on the first page), who worked incredibly hard and always had a smile on their faces. Here is the link (the wine lists aren't included): http://www.flickr.com/photos/59255741@N05/sets/72157627440974596/

OK, so that newbies to cruising and people new to P&O can see what we eat on P&O ships, I have created a album of photos of starters, mains and desserts from the MDR (Main Dining Room), From Rhodes, Marco Pierre White, and Azuras Glasshouse, the coffee shop, room service etc. These photos are taken from my range of ship albums on the present P&O fleet. Enjoy... Don't click if you want to wait until you board.;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/FoodOnPOShips2006Onwards?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnimNLCxfS10QE#5641097501592147490

double click link above.

Thank you for posting your wonderful photos; now I'm positively DROOLING in anticipation of our upcoming Oceana cruise. :)

As well as the one Veggie option on the main menu, veggies have a seperate menu which they choose from a night in advance. It has four starters and four mains and there is a menu A and menu B that alternates. As soon as the waiting staff know you are a Veggie then they set it up so that the head waiter presents the veggie menu and the next nights main menu to you each evening so you can make your selection. The motto being make sure they know you are a veggie as soon as you can! My partner had a full vegetarian christmas dinner on Ventura last xmas.

I know some have already been uploaded, but I thought I would upload my menus from Ventura. If anyone was wondering, everybody gets the menu copies on the last formal night, in a folder (the first image). The food I found to be really good quality and not repetitive at all (A few more starter options wouldn't go amiss though).

I have to mention though my fantastic waiters Fredrico and Sundaram (read their message on the first page), who worked incredibly hard and always had a smile on their faces. Here is the link (the wine lists aren't included): http://www.flickr.com/photos/59255741@N05/sets/72157627440974596/

Thanks for posting the menus! Do you by any chance remember which of the menus were on formal nights?

Thanks for posting the menus! Do you by any chance remember which of the menus were on formal nights?

Yep, the second menu (game terrine), the fourth menu (charante melon) and the ninth menu (cherries jubilee) were from formal nights. the last 2 menus (including the last formal night) weren't in the folder I was given, but there was definitely Beef Wellington on it (which was great) :)

Archived