Eggs

RoupMom

I had egg white omelette many mornings in Pinnacle and they cooked them just the way I like. Their breakfast menu truly is extremely extensive. Just about any reasonably common breakfast food is offered.

Their breakfast menu truly is extremely extensive. Just about any reasonably common breakfast food is offered.
You can even get congee in the Lido! (I haven't asked for it the MDR because we rarely eat breakfast there.)

Has anyone ever suspected a ship of using powdered eggs?

I swear, the scrambled eggs at the Lido on Zuiderdam tasted odd, and the only thing I could think of was powdered eggs. Another passenger thought they were powdered, so it wasn't just me. It was a disappointment after the wonderful freshly scrambled eggs we'd had on Veendam. On Veendam, a cook scrambled what seemed like about a dozen eggs at a time on the grill behind the serving area. They didn't have time to sit around and get dried out. They definitely tasted like the real thing.

I swear, the scrambled eggs at the Lido on Zuiderdam tasted odd, and the only thing I could think of was powdered eggs. Another passenger thought they were powdered, so it wasn't just me. It was a disappointment after the wonderful freshly scrambled eggs we'd had on Veendam. On Veendam, a cook scrambled what seemed like about a dozen eggs at a time on the grill behind the serving area. They didn't have time to sit around and get dried out. They definitely tasted like the real thing.

Cruise ships have both powdered eggs and real eggs. Hotel Manager/Passenger Services Director James Deering (formerly of HAL, NCL, various other lines, currently employed by Princess) spoke at a CC M&G regarding eggs and US FDA and/or Coast Guard regulations.

Laura

I also was talking with James Deering one time when we were on the Zuiderdam in 2005(?).

We had a refrigeration problem and a couple of huge ice conditioned trucks had to be placed on the bow of the ship.

He mentioned that they were still able to do scrambled eggs as they were powered.

I thought James Deering is on the Westerdam??? Or is he home for a slight vacation before getting on the Oosterdam?

Cruise ships have both powdered eggs and real eggs. Hotel Manager/Passenger Services Director James Deering (formerly of HAL, NCL, various other lines, currently employed by Princess) spoke at a CC M&G regarding eggs and US FDA and/or Coast Guard regulations.

Laura

James Deering is back with HAL.

He was on Noordam this year and other ship(s ?).

I don't know about powdered eggs, but years ago I watched them making scrambled eggs from a liquid mixture. They had large, sealed, plastic bags which they squeezed, then opened and poured onto the grill. They did not taste at all as I expect eggs to taste, and I switched to omelets for the rest of the cruise.

On our Zuiderdam cruise, the omelette chef was cracking eggs and beating them with a fork to make the omelettes, so they were real eggs. The scrambled stuff in a rectangular pan looked pretty bad, though!

Oh, the omelette chef would make one out of just egg whites if you asked. Don't know about omega-3 eggs.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they also make the omlettes from the bagged egg stuff unless you ask them to use " real" eggs. :(

At the omelette station in Lido, we watch them crack the eggs. Real eggs are used.

Omelette we get in Pinnacle are 'real' eggs.

On our Zuiderdam cruise, the omelette chef was cracking eggs and beating them with a fork to make the omelettes, so they were real eggs. The scrambled stuff in a rectangular pan looked pretty bad, though!

Oh, the omelette chef would make one out of just egg whites if you asked. Don't know about omega-3 eggs.

I stopped eating the scrambled eggs long ago when I realized they tasted as bad as they looked. :(

I prefer omelettes or fried eggs anyway, luckily!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but they also make the omlettes from the bagged egg stuff unless you ask them to use " real" eggs. :(

I have yet to see anyone at the omlette station use the bagged stuff. Now -- I am not watching all the time.

Which ship were you on that you saw this.

I haven't seen the bags of eggs brought to the grill in years. Now, I see flats of eggs waiting to be cracked and cooked.

I am still afraid to order scrambled eggs, though, as I expect they have bechemel (sp?) sauce in them. Yuck.

The " bagged" eggs were on the Eurodam on the Canada - New England cruise in September last year. The crew member making the omlettes was about to pour the "stuff" out to begin my omlette, when I requested he use "real" eggs please . He went to the back and got 2 eggs and cracked them as I watched. It therefore tasted like eggs! :p

I thought James Deering is on the Westerdam??? Or is he home for a slight vacation before getting on the Oosterdam?

James had a split ship contract, he was on the Westerdam from April 1st till 9th of July, then he flew to Rome to join the Noordam. He will be on board another 4 weeks before he goes home.

Archived