choosing a cabin for 14nt panama canal on coral

northbird

I am looking at Princess Coral for a 14nt Ft Lauderdale to L.A. cruise. In deciding the "perfect" cabin for our cruise I have a few questions I am hoping can be answered.

1. Going east to west which side will give us a sunset view while traveling up the west coast?

2. How are the mini suites on the Dolphin deck? Are the balconies covered?

3. I have read the corner bump outs are not very private so why are they classified as AA catagory?

Thank you for your input

4. Is there much noise from above public areas on the Baja deck?

Here is a site developed by a CC member that will tell you everything you want to know about Coral/Island balconies.

Port side will give you the sunset off the west coast.

Ships grade cabins by location, they have no consideration as to privacy.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Caribe deck mini's forward are fully covered. They are classified as AB.

I looked at the site recommended above before we booked a few months ago. For mini's that seemed the best. Also close to front viewing deck that

you can access while going through the locks.:D

We sailed Coral in Alaska and Island to the Panama Canal. They are sister ships and we loved the ships! We had a regular balcony tucked inbetwee two suites for our Panama Canal cruise and we loved it. It was further out than higher deck cabins and when going through the locks we could lean over and see just how little space there was between the ship and lock walls.

Have a GREAT cruise! :)

I was on the Island in May - Westbound. I had C 416 on the corner bump out. the view was fantastic going through the canal. The sunsets going up the coast were beautiful to say the least.

Would not hesitate to take the cabin again.

The best view when going thru the P C. is up on the highest outside decks. Even with a balcony you will want to get up on deck. The view will be appreciated more when you can see 360 degrees. You don't get the feel for the amazing man made canals staying on your balcony.

We are on Coral Princess, November 8, FL to LA. For the first time ever, splurged and got a balcony cabin as I hear the decks get super crowded through the Canal.

We are starboard side, Emerald Deck, towards the stern of the ship. Should be OK ? (I hope !)

But after reading posts on here, will make the effort to get up on deck for a look too.

Thanks for advice folks. First time in Panama Canal for us.

Aft end Minis on Dolphin are covered and very nice, as are the cat BE veranda cabins at the aft end of Emerald deck. We've done Panama a number of times in the E700s and loved them. There's an open deck at the stern of Emerald deck that's great for watching the lock gates close behind the ship - try to check that out as well. Most people stay up top, so it's not very crowded.

I agree with the others - whichever cabin you chose, you shouldn't spend the entire transit on your balcony. There are the forward viewing areas on Caribe and Dolphin (I think) that you access through the 'do not enter - crew only' doors -- the crew will tell you about them:p. They can get crowded because it is fascinating to watch the transit through the locks but it is definitely worth it (wear a hat and sunscreen!). Then make sure you go to the back public balconies on the Caribe and Dolphin decks - most people aren't even aware they exist!

On the Island and the Coral, the mini-suites in the D-7XX series are fully covered - we had D-712 for Alaska and loved it since it provided protection from the elements. In fact we've already reserved D-705 for our next Alaska cruise next year.

Those in the C-7XX series are partially covered - we had C-708 for the Panama Canal (a January cruise where it was warm but not overwhelmingly hot or humid) and loved that since it gave us partial shade (I can't sit in the sun full time).

Archived