beer in soda box trick - NOT!

garagesalegran

Just a friendly word of advice: My son and his friends are leaving today on the Conquest out of Galveston. He texted me and said he was so glad he did not try to smuggle beer in the soda box trick - the one where you carefully open the ends of the 12 pack of soda box take out all the soda except 4 - put 2 at each end of the box and then fill the rest of the box with smuggled beer cans - then hot glue the ends back together. Son said the guy sitting next to him in the "holding area" had his soda box torn up by the cruise folks to make sure it was all soda in his box.

they tore his box open...so what then they made the guy walk on the ship carrying 12 soda cans loose? I would be pretty pissed off if they did that. I have carried on a 12 pack Oct last year and they never even gave it a 2nd look. I dont drink beer so it was really soda. I am sure they are catching on to peoples tricks though lol.

Maybe they are...PROFILING! (gasp!) :eek:

Maybe if you're an 80 year old grandma on a wheelchair, they will not touch your soda, but if you're a twentysomething smelling like hangover with a t-shirt that says "Mas Cerveza!!", the ship staff might be inclined to search your soda box more closely...

they tore his box open...so what then they made the guy walk on the ship carrying 12 soda cans loose? I would be pretty pissed off if they did that. I have carried on a 12 pack Oct last year and they never even gave it a 2nd look. I dont drink beer so it was really soda. I am sure they are catching on to peoples tricks though lol.

Yea, I don't buy this story one bit.

Hard to say since its third hand info, but I have seen them open one end to check all the cans. So maybe the torn apart is a slight exaggeration. But if they had 9 beers and just 3 cans of soda they might as well rip it up lol

In Miami in May we rolled on two cases of Diet Coke. We got flagged over and they opened one end of the case and checked the cans in both cases. Wasn't a big deal to us because he put them back in and we zipped the suitcase back up. So, yes, they do open them and check them.

Son is 31 yrs old, former U.S. Marine so I doubt he is lying to me. I'm just saying torn open is the way he described it - maybe they ripped the top or end off the box - in Texas thats "torn open". I'd be pretty po'ed too if they emptied that box and then handed back to me like that even if all the cans were soda. A year ago when I first heard about this trick, I thought it was pretty ingenious. I don't think so anymore. :rolleyes: However, being a 60 yr old grandmother and very innocent looking ;) - Tapi you might have given me an idea.....I might be able to sneak some onboard for someone else for the right price $$$$! HA! just kidding - I would be mortified if I got caught. Anyway, as the old saying goes " a word to the wise is sufficient!" ;)

I always just drink it, in order to smuggle it aboard. They haven't found it yet! ;)

"SKY"

My sister had a bottle of something or other in a water bottle that they told her she either had to drink or throw away. We teased her that she should have chugged it, but she didn't.

I would find that really irritating too. Once it's open, it's much harder to carry if you dont' have it in a bag or something.

However, being a 60 yr old grandmother and very innocent looking ;) - Tapi you might have given me an idea.....I might be able to sneak some onboard for someone else for the right price $$$$! HA! just kidding - I would be mortified if I got caught. Anyway, as the old saying goes " a word to the wise is sufficient!" ;)

You could pay for your own DOD this way!! Or excursions. Just think how much more often you could cruise.:D

Just a friendly word of advice: My son and his friends are leaving today on the Conquest out of Galveston. He texted me and said he was so glad he did not try to smuggle beer in the soda box trick - the one where you carefully open the ends of the 12 pack of soda box take out all the soda except 4 - put 2 at each end of the box and then fill the rest of the box with smuggled beer cans - then hot glue the ends back together. Son said the guy sitting next to him in the "holding area" had his soda box torn up by the cruise folks to make sure it was all soda in his box.

This smuggling trick hasn't worked for about a year or more in some embarkation ports. Now I guess, new scanners or not, the beards are on to this.

My DH carried on a 12 pak of Caffiene Free Diet Dr. Pepper this past July on the Liberty (he needs diet and caffiene free for medical reasons). His carry-on was inspected at embarkation, but they just looked at the 12 pak, didn't open it, and told us "You're good".

I would agree with a previous poster, in that they're probably profiling a bit, to keep from having to tear open everyone's soda boxes.

Maybe they are...PROFILING! (gasp!) :eek:

Maybe if you're an 80 year old grandma on a wheelchair, they will not touch your soda, but if you're a twentysomething smelling like hangover with a t-shirt that says "Mas Cerveza!!", the ship staff might be inclined to search your soda box more closely...

I thought the same thing! And honestly, I think some people give themselves away just by their actions and facial expressions.

The OP works for Carnival and is stirring the sh.t to put people off from smuggeling and make the security guys work a lot easier.

Ron

Archived