Best Line for "Senior Citizens"?

Sprucetree

As an over 55 cruiser, are there any cruise lines that you would avoid?

I have heard of some rather wild groups on Carnival and I know I just wouldn't fit in. I have cruised on Celebrity and it was very nice. My next cruise will be on NCL.

Have been on 7 Carnival cruises and never encountered any wild groups. Your NCL experience will closely mimic a cruise on Carnival. if you are looking for a more elegant cruise then stay with Celebrity or look into Holland America.

Are you traveling as a solo? If so, NCL will provide some difficulties. Personally, I wouldn't cruise again on NCL, as either a 55+ or solo. I just think the freestyle concept isn't solo cruiser friendly. As for Carnival, the concept of it being a party hearty line is false. I would cruise Carnival 10 times with their better overall experience than step onto another NCL ship.

If you're looking for a better experience, stick with Celebrity or Holland America.

How much over 55 are you???? I'm over 55 and can't think of ANY line I'd avoid! I may be older, but I'm not dead! I enjoy a bit of partying and some liveliness!

Shorter cruises will always be a bit rowdier than longer ones, but you certainly don't have to join in a Conga line, if you don't want to!

There's so much for EVERYONE on all the ships...you can be as calm and alone as you like, or people-watch, or join in....up to you on ANY line!

I have heard of some rather wild groups on Carnival and I know I just wouldn't fit in. I have cruised on Celebrity and it was very nice. My next cruise will be on NCL.

Sprucetree, I have sailed on Carnival, Princess, HAL, NCL, and RCCL, all as a solo and have enjoyed all the trips. Some will tell you that Carnival is the party boat, and others will tell you that NCL is not good for solo's, and that HAL and Princess are just for the old folks, but I think that depends on what each person likes or dislikes. If you liked the Celebrity experience then HAL or Princess might be a better fit, than Carnival, RCCL, or NCL, as the last three all have a more diverse crowd, where HAL & Princess are more of the formal cruise experience. I see your next trip is on NCL, there are some solo's who swear they will never do NCL again as a solo, but there are also others who say they would only travel NCL as a solo because they like the freestyle experience. It doesn't make one right and the other wrong, it just makes them different. I have done 8 solo's on NCL and yes I am over 55, and I have not had a bad cruise with them. I have not had a bad cruise as a solo on any of the other lines either. I think that if you go with the attitude that you are going to have a good trip, you probably will. If you don't like your next trip, then you can try a different line next time. Hope you enjoy your trip.

I pretty much agree with travelnap. I travel off-season and longer cruises, and I find Carnival and Royal Caribbean to be a good fit. Nothing wrong with NCL, except I didn't find freestyle to be a solo-friendly concept compared to traditional. I also travel Cunard and Costa, but I wouldn't recommend them without knowing how comfortable you are travelling with people from other cultures.

I won't go back to Holland America because it's always been full of people way too old and boring for me (I'm only 62 and I'm awake after 10 PM), but if you want "really, really quiet" it would be a good choice. I was only on Celebrity once but it seemed similar.

I cruised on the Carnival Conquest this past month. One thing I noticed

was a lot of kids and nearly all activities directed toward the kids.

There were no dance venues for adults in the evening and the shows

were not good. Therefore, not much to do in the evenings.

It might be different in the months that kids are in school. I've been

on the Carnival Pride before and it was differernt, so not all Carnival

ships are the same. I've been on Celebrity Soltice before and loved it.

I've always found something to do in the evening on both Carnival and RCCL, but I make a point of avoiding school breaks. What kind of dancing are you looking for?

Do not go on Holland America. By 10PM they're rolling up the sidewalks- nightlife is non-existent.

i am WELL over 55 (got medicare this year) and I LOVE carnival. Have sailed her several times w/late DH (younger then) and again w/DD2 in 2004. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also sailed NCL both w late DH and a friend (last 2005). Again, was pleased and would do anytime.

The ONLY line I had 'issues' w/ was Celebrity. Hated the snotty attitude of ALL the staff (cabin steward, pursar's desk, dine room.......). NEVER again.

I would like to add something to the coments.

First, I'm over 55 and you might say I have a few " Senior Moments " :D

As a seasoned traveler, I have cruised on Carnival, RCCL,

Celebrity and etc. I'm up past 11pm and like to enjoy

night life on the ship. :)

I'm going in November, 2011 on my first cruise with NCL.

Have heard that NCL is relaxed, quiet, and sometimes dull :eek:

Comments by DancerBob and a few others in their replys of

I like to travel off seasons to avoid school breaks and a less

crowded ship

For me its what you want from a cruise and then you make

it your own.. It's not the ship or cruise line

When are you going on your NCL cruise ?

• 2 weeks later...

We are active, educated, early60's and travel often. If we could only cruise with one line it would be Hal. It is elegant, yet not stuffy. We have been on Princess, ncl and rcc and they would nickel and dime you to death. Those ships had some "party hard" travelers, mostly on cruises less that a week long. Hal was fun, but we never experienced a "did you just see that!" moment. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are over 70 and cruised on Caribbean 's independence last year, with 1700 kids had a ball. This year we went on a FO which is mainly for older people. We were bored off our trolley. never again. %0 is no age at all, there are loads of different ages on board.

• 2 weeks later...

"Do not go on Holland America. By 10PM they're rolling up the sidewalks- nightlife is non-existent."

That's the impression I've gotten from friends, too. My main reason for cruising is for the nightlife and entertainment. Definitely found it on NCL Epic and NCL Pearl. It also depends on who one's traveling companions are. Some people are just old poops no matter what their age! :D:D

Have any of you considered Saga Cruises who are based in the UK? They have some great cruise itineraries and all their ships are adults only as they cater for over 55's only. They also have a lot of things included e.g. tips and insurance (although this may only be for UK persons). They sail mainly out of Southampton but also go from Dover and Harwich - why not combine a day or so exploring the areas around the departure ports if you are living outside the UK - they all have interesting places to see. The ships tend to be smaller than some of the other well-known cruise lines but the service cannot be faulted and I am sure you would enjoy the experience. We have travelled widely with Princess, Costa,MSC, Thomsons but Saga does cater for our needs in providing a child-free envorinment and personall service which is often lacking in these huge ships which seem to be the norm now.

Hope you manage to find something suitable.

Suron in Bristol, England

• 4 months later...

I don't think the OP has been back here. But I will put my 2 cents in anyway. I am 54 & hubby is 64. We have sailed Carnival & RCC, but have enjoyed Carnival the most. As others have said, it is about what you are looking for in a vacation. We are seniors, but are very active. I think we usually walk the length of the ship several times per day. We enjoy the night life too. We are not big partiers, but enjoy socializing. We do avoid the spring break season as well as the holiday seasons, just because you will find lots of college aged kids on the cruise at that time of year. We like the variety of people we have found on Carnival, plus the fares are reasonable.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs. Bandit - In total agreement with you. The husband & I are in our mid-late 40s & aren't tied to the school calendar. We prefer to holiday when school is IN session. :) Also, if someone is looking for less of a 24-hour party boat, try cruises of longer than a week & perhaps a slightly more exotic itinerary than the standard Caribbean out of the Florida ports or Alaska in the summer.

We've done 2 inaugural cruises on HAL & nightlife was fabulous. It was also rockin' pretty good on the 7-day Alaska cruise that was part of our cruise-tour. But this past fall's 17-day mediterranean/trans-Atlantic - total snoozefest after main dinner seating.

I hopped on this Seniors board looking for some info for my folks. Kinda disappointed at the lack of activity. :(

Iam 62 and DH is 68. We have only traveled on Carnival. Our trip to NE/Canada is scheduled for the fall of 2012 out of NYC. This will be our 6th cruise. So far we have no desire to sail on any other ships. We like a mix of fun and quiet, and we get both on Carnival. We like a little gambling, shows and independent port excursions (well researched on these boards,much cheaper and better experiences than cruise line excursions). I absolutely live for the research that is available on these boards and get all my ducks in a row before we cruise. Financially we are very comfortable, but I like the challenge of getting a great cabin (we cruise exclusivly in aft cabins on a quiet deck on 7 day or longer cruises when the kids are in school) for a modest amount of money. Our sail and sign card always has OBC and we never spend above that amount. I wouldn't call us cheap, but we are very careful with money. DH and I couln't be happier on Carnival. Food is great and pronounceable, ambience couldn't be more beautiful on an aft balcony. It's possible we would cruise on another line, but I would have to get agreat deal, like a Pack and Go Rate close to sail date. I love the hunt and the rewards are great! Cruising provides me a great hobby and the vacation is the ultimate perk!

• 4 months later...
Have any of you considered Saga Cruises who are based in the UK? They have some great cruise itineraries and all their ships are adults only as they cater for over 55's only. They also have a lot of things included e.g. tips and insurance (although this may only be for UK persons). They sail mainly out of Southampton but also go from Dover and Harwich - why not combine a day or so exploring the areas around the departure ports if you are living outside the UK - they all have interesting places to see. The ships tend to be smaller than some of the other well-known cruise lines but the service cannot be faulted and I am sure you would enjoy the experience. We have travelled widely with Princess, Costa,MSC, Thomsons but Saga does cater for our needs in providing a child-free envorinment and personall service which is often lacking in these huge ships which seem to be the norm now.

Hope you manage to find something suitable.

Suron in Bristol, England

Going solo and with the current exchange rate Saga is pretty pricey! When I was pricing round the world cruises (I did like Saga's itinerary) it was almost $30,000 more than Cunard.

I have yet to find a cruise line senior citizen discount.

Keith

DH is "well past" 55yo and we've gotten two discounts due to his age.

But this past fall's 17-day mediterranean/trans-Atlantic - total snoozefest after main dinner seating.

Med cruises of almost any type tend to be a bit quieter in the nightlife department. So much going on in port during the day that everyone (55+ and 55-) are ready to put their feet up and snooze off! :)

I have yet to find a cruise line senior citizen discount.

Keith

Really? we had a discount on a 4 night to the Bahamas a few years ago, and on our upcoming 7 night to NE/Canada. Granted they may be only on less desirable sailings due to date or number of nights. They also may not be in the cabin category you prefer. We have yet to find a resident discount for those from Illinois :D... sigh.... it's tough to be landlocked.

Archived