Were We Late For Dinner?

The only thing more bizarre than this story is the way the OP chose to tell the story.

Well, I have to agree. But did you notice the change in people's attitude once the story started to unfold? Not sure... just not sure... And before anyone calls me insensitive, my sister had and fought cancer. She is in survivorship for over 2 years now. I know what it does to a loved one and how they suffer. I was just replying to one of the replies.

Mr. and Mrs. E, best to you.

This thread is a good example of how we all tend to jump to conclusions (often wrong conclusions) when we do not know the full facts.

A lesson for us all here. How awful the people at the next table would have felt had they learned the truth as we have just done.

Good wishes to you and your wife.

The "facts" that were presented by the OP could only lead to the logical conclusion that they were late.

Mr. E.

When I first read your post I read it quickly and thought you had your own table. I haven't changed my mind. You got there when you got there for your own reasons. As most of us know, cruise ship dining is somewhat more casual than a restaurant. The food is ready to go and usually takes very little time to appear at your table. The other guests could easily start without a late couple, any you can catch up to them all easily. A part of successfully enjoying travel is or should be the freedom to bend with situations, and enjoy the trip. You're not at home, in your bedroom, with all your things dressing for the dinner party downstairs. You're on a ship, with lots of exciting things to do, and prepping for dinner, especially on a formal night can sometimes take longer than usual. In the end...were you late? Sure. Should it REALLY matter that much to anyone...other table mates or the wait staff? Come on! You sound like wonderful people making the most of life's adventure! Sail on, my friends.

Mr E, I am so sorry for what your wife had to endure. I hope that she goes in to remission.

You did not "disrupt" the evening for the people at the next table. They were still on their schedule.

Your wife sounds like she is fighting the good fight and is doing so with dignity. I commend her and you.

Yes, I understand the reason the OP presented his story this way. He wanted us all to have the point of view of the diners who weren't aware of the entire story. People are too quick to make judegements. I remember when I was a kid I went with my mom and sister on a train trip to Florida. My mom got very ill during the trip. After I just got back to our seats my mom asked me to find my sister. So I had to run back to find her in the club car. I overheard a woman remark in an annoyed tone, "That kid keeps running back and forth," as if I was playing around. That really stung.

Earlier, I said I don't care. I still don't. First, the people sitting at the neighboring table obnoxiously looking at their watches and making snide comments are morons. This, in no way, effected their dinner. They are the idiots here, not the Op and his wife. Besides, it was only 15 minutes, not an hour.

However, despite the Op's sad situation for which I completely sympathize, I think the moral lesson was a little too much. You shouldn't care what others think, on board or here on CC. JMO.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]were you late? NO. assuming dinner time was 6pm, most people are not ordering until 5 or 10 after anyway. now, we on the other hand, were late. we took ds (14 months at the time) on explorer to bermuda and we got to the mdr at approx 6:30 for early seating (6pm). we politely asked the maitre'd if it was alright to go to our table or if we were too late and he said no problem go right in. our head waiter and assistant were just as understanding. so if you ask me if 6:15 is late I say no.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Silverman']I really hope your wife kicks the cancer!!! Both of my sisters are survivors. I hope they finally find a cure someday soon!!!! After reading this thread with all the bad comments this is why I will never sail on RCL. Im sick of the im better than you attitudes and know it alls. Along with all the snobs. I know there are very good people on here but the bad ones out way the good. This is bad to pick a cruise line like this but seriously I never want to run into some of these people. Everybody should remember your no better than the person next to you and if you think that you are. Your the one with the problem not them. Enjoy life people its way to short and get that stick out of your butt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

You are correct. It is ridiculous to decide not to cruise on RCL based on this forum. This is a very small percentage of the total number of cruisers of RCI. The non members certainly outweigh the members of RCI on any given sailing.

To the OP, I certainly wish you and your wife the best and hope she fully recovers. However, I don't consider the replies given as judgemental. They were given based on the facts they had at the time. Only when given ALL of the facts, can someone make an intelligent, informed opinion. Good luck on future cruises.

[quote name='EVALUATOR']
We finally got seated at 6:15 and as we sat down, a person at the table next to us looked at us, then their watch, then at us again, and shook their head.

To those already seated at the adjoining table, we appeared late.

WERE WE?????[/quote]

Yes. You were late. HOWEVER you had been given a [U]thorough[/U] run-around by the MDR staff so it's not your fault.

IMO if you know dinner is at 6 and you do everything in your power and you are late due to reasons out of your control, it doesn't mean you aren't late but it is absolutely forgiveable.

If you know dinner is at 6 and you choose not to get ready until 5:50, then it is your fault and an entirely different matter.

Blessings to you and your wife. I am so happy to hear of her fighting spirit. It will make a huge difference when she CONQUERS CANCER! And she WILL!

[quote name='Cruzaholic41']Earlier, I said I don't care. I still don't. First, the people sitting at the neighboring table obnoxiously looking at their watches and making snide comments are morons. This, in no way, effected their dinner. They are the idiots here, not the Op and his wife. Besides, it was only 15 minutes, not an hour.

[/quote]
If the doors open at 5:45 and you get there at 6:15, that is not 15 minutes.
Being 30 minutes late does affect the tables the waiter is working. They have to pretty much drop everything to get the order for the people late.

[quote name='ocean boy']how, exactly, was the evening of people sitting at another table disrupted by any of this? Maybe they should have just continued eating and tried something really unique..... Minding their own business.[/quote]

amen!

[quote name='SeaUs']If the doors open at 5:45 and you get there at 6:15, that is not 15 minutes.
Being 30 minutes late does affect the tables the waiter is working. They have to pretty much drop everything to get the order for the people late.[/quote]

I was not aware early seating was changed to 5:45. It's been 6:00 on all my cruises.

you had a valid excuse- who cares what everyone else thought? plus it was a table for two:) on my last cruise these two girls were late every night cept one, first night they were like 25-30 min late. Our waiter waited FOREVER to take our orders, I guess waiting on the two empty seats. All his other tables were already eating appetizers when we placed our orders I was soo hungry because we got late seating, lol. Finally he takes them and brings out our appetizers and the two women suddenly show up:cool:

[quote name='sparkleroxy86']you had a valid excuse- who cares what everyone else thought? plus it was a table for two:) on my last cruise these two girls were late every night cept one, first night they were like 25-30 min late. Our waiter waited FOREVER to take our orders, I guess waiting on the two empty seats. All his other tables were already eating appetizers when we placed our orders I was soo hungry because we got late seating, lol. Finally he takes them and brings out our appetizers and the two women suddenly show up:cool:[/quote]

I would never have allowed that to happen. After 10-15 minutes of waiting I would have told the waiter we were ready to order and if he didn't take our orders I would talk to the maitre 'd. I don't mind eating in front of late comers, if they arrive while we are eating it's their own fault. I refuse to starve waiting for them or take the chance of missing my evening activities because of their tardiness. It seems to me that some waiters on some of the cruises we have been on have been a little lazy, trying to save themselves from running back and forth to the kitchen, others would do somersaults to make you happy. Late comers are welcome to be as late as they want, but I'm not going to let them dictate my cruise. :)

I have lived my whole life with seriously late people, my sister-in-law and my brother, I learned long ago they are not going to change and that if I say dinner is at 7 we eat at 7, even if they aren't there. I read once that chronically late people are narcissistic, they actually get pleasure from making people wait. The straw that broke the camels back for me was when my brother showed up seriously late to my grandmother's funeral and he was one of the pall bearers...my mother was crying at the back of the church and I was so furious I could have eaten bullets...I knew right then that I would never again let a chronic late comer dictate to my life.

As for the OP, you weren't late, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I hope your wife's recovery is fast and that the two of you have many many more years together.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have been on cruises where people came in as we were getting our dessert! Prayers are with Mrs. E. and also with you. She sounds like she is quite a strong lady. You both are! God bless!

[quote name='English_in_Spain']I think that was the whole point of the original post. To show how people would jump to a conclusion and judgement because they did not know the full story.

I think he was trying to show how we reacted like the people in MDR who also did not know the full story.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's really fair to say people "jumped to a conclusion". They were asked to form an opinion with limited and misleading information. What were people supposed to do? Ignore the question?

[quote name='smltwngrl76']Of COURSE you weren't late, and this story is a perfect example of why you should never judge others! You have no way of knowing their story, background, or circumstances.

I wish you and your wife the very best. I applaud you both for carrying on with what you want to do, in the face of this miserable
disease. Please don't let the ignorance of others stop you.[/QUOTE]

You said it perfectly smltwngrl76 :)
I try to remember this,especially in my nursing job...we NEVER know the "back story"

Kudos to the OP for presenting this life lesson to us.
Way to go, Mrs. E for cruising thru the pain!!!
Prayers going up for you now!!!

Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. You are enjoying life and no one has the right to take that away from you. Don't worry what others think. I hope you eventually got to enjoy your dinner and had a nice evening after that. If you are late, your late. Stuff happens!!!

[quote name='EVALUATOR']Thanks for all your support along with the well wishes of others.

It really didn't bother me that much about being late. It's our cruise, and while some might think it's all about me me me, I prefer to think of it as all about MRS E, MRS E, MRS E.:D

I just thought it was interesting how some of the earlier posters in this thread jumped to the same conclusions as the people at the adjoining table.

If they knew all the effort we put into being on time, and well dressed, just to have an idiot at RCI make us look bad, maybe they might reevaluate their priorities.

And if we get to cruise again, on formal night MRS E will be the one wearing the stunning evening gown... AND FLIP FLOPS:D:D:D[/quote]

what do you get out of playing these high school games? also, i dont see what your wife's cancer has to do with the story.

you arrived on time to the table you were given, it was full they found you a new one. when you sat at the new table you could break the ice by telling your musical table story. the end. why try to trick people by giving half the story?

anthony

You and Mrs. E were in the dining room or the line to get in on time. Therefore, you were not late. The fact that you were not seated for thirty minutes does not make you late.

I don't think we are all obligated to ask you twenty questions to get all the details of your event before coming to the conclusion that you were late.

I will say that I have work hard lately to try not to judge other people. It's a waste of my time and energy to judge others.

I adore my family of 4 and we have plenty to talk about about to keep us occupied at dinner, not sure why some people want to be in other people's business. If OP was seated near us we probably would have never noticed..

Prayers to you and your family.

Happy cruising all~

I really wouldn't care if my table partners were late, as long as my dinner schedule wasn't disrupted. If it creates angst for the people who serve, well then, that is RCC's problem to deal with. I am on holiday. Why should I care what others do? I would aim to be on time, or select MTD (which we have) so we dont have to deal with any of this kind of stuff. I dont know why more people dont select it if they can. Hate having to be told when to eat, and couldnt imagine eating at 5.45pm after a day in port.

Archived