launderette definitely locked at night?

phoebedog

After hours of planning I have still failed miserably and have managed to book myself a room directly under a self service launderette:(. I don't mind if there is noise in the day, I am never in my cabin then, but will it definitely be locked at night.

I have read many posts saying they are locked between 10.00pm and 7.00am which is great, but then other posts of people doing their washing at 2.00am to beat the crowds!!!!!!:eek:

Helen

After hours of planning I have still failed miserably and have managed to book myself a room directly under a self service launderette:(. I don't mind if there is noise in the day, I am never in my cabin then, but will it definitely be locked at night.

I have read many posts saying they are locked between 10.00pm and 7.00am which is great, but then other posts of people doing their washing at 2.00am to beat the crowds!!!!!!:eek:

Helen

Yes, the launderettes are "supposed" to be locked from 2200 (10:00 p.m.) until 0700 (7:00 a.m.)! You should express your concerns to the Front Desk upon boarding & confirm that the launderettes will be locked every night! ;)

Yes, the launderettes are "supposed" to be locked from 2200 (10:00 p.m.) until 0700 (7:00 a.m.)! You should express your concerns to the Front Desk upon boarding & confirm that the launderettes will be locked every night! ;)

Excellent idea. Better to plan ahead than end up "expressing my concerns" in my nightie at the front desk at 2.30am.

Whether the laundry room is locked overnight or not ... wouldn't you want to see if there's a noise issue first before visiting the Front Desk to express concerns?

I will give it a try for a night first. Have to say I wear ear plugs so wont bother me personally....It's my other half who would grumble. It will be his first cruise as he chickened out of it this year due to concerns over "water being wobbly". I am therefore wanting it to be perfect!!:)

We were on the Maasdam this year and when I got up at 0600 to do the laundry 2 of the rooms were in full operation and all machines totally in use:( Also - about half of the machines did not work properly:mad:

We were on the Maasdam this year and when I got up at 0600 to do the laundry 2 of the rooms were in full operation and all machines totally in use:( Also - about half of the machines did not work properly:mad:

Oh heck. Are they noisy. Should I change rooms???

I cetainly would if I were concerned about the posssibilty of noise during the night. By the looks of your signature, you have plenty of time.

I hope your husband will enjoy his cruise. I kept turning down free cruises every year from one of my vendors until I stepped on the Westerdam years ago. We were hooked after that.

Happy Cruising,

Ken

And book one next to a bunch of partying teenagers? ;)

Seriously, your room should be fine. The laundry room is very small, so few people are in there at the same time, they are not partying (more likely reading a book) and the machines are quiet. It is, in my opinion, much better than being under the Lido.

So many times I have read on this board that the laundry rooms are closed down at night, and that hasn't been my experience, that I have taken to checking whenever I sail.

I stop in the laundry to look for posted signs of the hours of operation. I've never seen one. I have turned the doorknob on my way home late at night. it turns. That's when I check for the signs!

However, I have never seen anyone in there late at night, either. If the machines are started early, I would expect it to be more white noise than a disturbing sound.

I wouldn't mind an inside cabin below the laundry at all. There are worse spots to be.

Your idea of "listening" for laundry room noise on your first couple of nights will probably gain nothing --- I would imagine most folks

would be washing clothes more mid-cruise than the first day or two. Hitting the laundry during main lunch and dinner hours might

be a way to avoid competition for the machines. JMO

RuthC you are funny!!!!

I have decided... to let my other half decide.

He is always up by 6.00 anyway so early morning noise not bother him. If he wants to change after reading all your helpful posts, I will (and put the charge on his credit card):):):)

Ok. I have to admit to doing laundry around midnight on my Alaska cruise 4 years ago and I wasn't alone and we were all in our formal clothes. I didn't want to do it that late but that was the first time I could get a machine and after doing 1 1/2 weeks of touring on land before boarding I was getting desperate. There were no signs and no one came and told us we shouldn't be doing it that late.

Ok. I have to admit to doing laundry around midnight on my Alaska cruise 4 years ago and I wasn't alone and we were all in our formal clothes. I didn't want to do it that late but that was the first time I could get a machine and after doing 1 1/2 weeks of touring on land before boarding I was getting desperate. There were no signs and no one came and told us we shouldn't be doing it that late.

Do you think they were perhaps relieved you were finally washing your clothes after 1 1/2 weeks:) ha ha

The fact that no one stuck their heads round the door and said you were making too much noise I take as a good sign

So many times I have read on this board that the laundry rooms are closed down at night, and that hasn't been my experience, that I have taken to checking whenever I sail.

I stop in the laundry to look for posted signs of the hours of operation. I've never seen one. I have turned the doorknob on my way home late at night. it turns. That's when I check for the signs!

However, I have never seen anyone in there late at night, either. If the machines are started early, I would expect it to be more white noise than a disturbing sound.

I wouldn't mind an inside cabin below the laundry at all. There are worse spots to be.

Well, from my experience, I have seen a sign, clearly posted in the launderette that I had used, onboard Ryndam, that the launderette(s) were closed from 2200 to 0700! ;)

Well, from my experience, I have seen a sign, clearly posted in the launderette that I had used, onboard Ryndam, that the launderette(s) were closed from 2200 to 0700! ;)

Good. He says he will just take ear plugs. It's £35 to move rooms and he is a Yorkshireman, therefore it pains him to even imagine disturbing the moths again, whilst getting his wallet out.:D

If you are a year out from your cruise, you should be able to secure another cabin. Do a little more research and book one in what seems to be a quieter area since your DH seems to prefer a quieter location. Change while you can, before the ship fills up!!!

That said, we were under the galley on our 14 day cruise. I am sure it would have bothered some, but we were fine with it. We also are not in our cabins much, but this cruise my husband was under the weather two nights (motion issues) so we headed back to the cabin after dinner. The loudest noises were until about 10:30 p.m. Again, nothing we couldn't live with. If I had paid a premium price for the cabin, it would have been a disappointment. However, for the price we paid, we were happy with it. We slept well every night and we were never awakened by galley noise in the morning. Our wake up call or alarm woke us up. Once up we heard little noises in the morning, but again, nothing to annoy us.

Now if we had had a cabin forward of ours on the lower promendade (Amsterdam) I may have had a different opinion of noise. As we would walk to our cabin (3384) there was a lot of noise and vibration in the hallway. One day I asked someone leaving their cabin if they heard that noise in their cabin and they said they sure did. So glad I didn't have one of those.

It's your posts that have prompted me to try to comfirm what you saw. Haven't been able to do it in several attempts.

Perhaps things have changed since your experience, and it's no longer valid.

It's your posts that have prompted me to try to comfirm what you saw. Haven't been able to do it in several attempts.

Perhaps things have changed since your experience, and it's no longer valid.

Well, I'll ask & receive an answer from the Front Desk on my next HAL cruise to confirm whether or not the launderettes are closed at night & will post a new thread here on CC related to the information that I am told! ;)

Well, I'll ask & receive an answer from the Front Desk on my next HAL cruise to confirm whether or not the launderettes are closed at night & will post a new thread here on CC related to the information that I am told! ;)

I will keep an eye out for your report! :)

Better yet, go to each laundry room, midnight should be late enough, and try to get into each one. Then, while there, snap a photo of the hours of operation sign to post here. And then, just to be sure, start a load of laundry and see of anyone comes to tell you to leave.

That should do it nicely.

Archived