How many have smuggled booze onto a ship?

waterbhoy

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Since wine in a box is not encouraged would you consider that to be smuggling? I don't drink wine but my sister does so I am wondering what you think?

Absolutely not. They didn't say forbidden, just not encouraged for some reason. People take boxes all the time & they fit inside the refrig. very nicely.

As far a liquor is concerned, paying up to $26 for a 350 ml bottle is a little much when a 750 bottle can be brought from home for the same price + they don't carry what I drink. Princess only posts their liquor rules in hopes that it deters most of the people from carrying their own aboard & they don't have to resort to the rigorous checking that the other lines do.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Since wine in a box is not encouraged would you consider that to be smuggling? I don't drink wine but my sister does so I am wondering what you think?

Which cruise line are you quoting?

Since they are not banning wine in a box, I would say it is allowed.

Which cruise line are you quoting?

Since they are not banning wine in a box, I would say it is allowed.

We have been on a number of Princess cruises, and always have our boxed wine for consumption in our cabin.

I think what they are saying is not to bring your wine in a box into the MDR,which sort of makes sense.

Yes should have clarified Liquor. NCL scoops everything from you unless you happen to leave a little present for the security guys thanking them for the hard work they do wink wink..nudge nudge

well i am sure NCL will LOVE reading this:(

We have been on a number of Princess cruises, and always have our boxed wine for consumption in our cabin.

I think what they are saying is not to bring your wine in a box into the MDR,which sort of makes sense.

I'm sorry, but the image of someone bringing boxed wine into the MDR is just too funny! Imagine formal night and a guy is lugging the box around in his tux.....:D

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my never realized the word smuggle would get peoples knickers in a twist. it was meant as a fun question.

let me say this I know how to bring aboard Liquor( no wine or champagne we all know thats allowed) I know the cruise lines read these boards because as Staff onboard we would read them 2-3 days after each cruise. so we know what goes on.

I was just simply trying to find out what creative methods the average pax would use . I brought on more liquor onboard ships than I care to try and count. Princess it was never an issue because we had it delivered to our cabins every 1st sea day. Loved the 15 day cruises we got it twice.

Norwegian it was strictly forbidden for PAX and Staff to have liquor onboard. Star Cruise the parent company of NCL at the time had a very dim view of alcohol for staff and a dim view of losing a dime anywhere. never mind happy passengers , spending pax is what they were happy with.

As i said in the OP I am often asked how to get it in. In my case being a staff member it was rather easy for us as for the Paying Passenger I was just curious as to the creative ways. you want to share, great if not ..no worries if you dont like the topic...move on and avoid leaving any sarcy comments no need to pad your post count here

It is not my idea of a vacation to smuggle liquor on board. That is something you will never find us doing. If we have to save a little longer in order to vacation without worry to sneak a bottle of liquor aboard, then we stay home until we can afford the trip. When we could not afford to vacation without worrying about every dime we spent, we did not go. We saved until we could sit in the lounge with everyone else, listen to the music, enjoy the conversation and order a drink. We drink for the social and the fun; not to get 'drunk'. We have too much self-respect to sneak around the rules.

JMO.......

(I did not read this whole thread. I didn't need to in order to know my response.)

Most people, even here on CC, don't seem to have any problems with disregarding the liquor ruling. They just pack what they need & don't give it a second thought. It's not a matter of being able to afford drinks but bringing my own liquor & the ease of having a drink whenever I want it, makes it more than worthwhile considering what they charge for a similar drink. When & if the day comes that Princess begins checking luggage similar to other cruise lines then the smuggling threads will make more sense but until then the need to do to extremes to hide it isn't at all necessary.

Since it's been a long time since I have been on Princess, I want to make sure I understand.

I can take as many bottles of wine as I want? Not limited to one?

Do they have to be in carryon? Do they have to be in checked?

I will follow the rules, but for 14 days I'm thinking my friend and I will probably each bring 2.

Most people, even here on CC, don't seem to have any problems with disregarding the liquor ruling. They just pack what they need & don't give it a second thought. It's not a matter of being able to afford drinks but bringing my own liquor & the ease of having a drink whenever I want it, makes it more than worthwhile considering what they charge for a similar drink. When & if the day comes that Princess begins checking luggage similar to other cruise lines then the smuggling threads will make more sense but until then the need to do to extremes to hide it isn't at all necessary.

On HAL, one can pre-order whatever bottle they want and it will be waiting in their cabin when the board.

OR they can call Room Service and have a bottle delivered.

The price charged is well within reason and provides for the availability of having your drink in your cabin without having to sneak.

On HAL, one can pre-order whatever bottle they want and it will be waiting in their cabin when the board.

The price charged is well within reason and provides for the availability of having your drink in your cabin without having to sneak.

This thread started on the Princess board so has no relation to what HAL provides.

This thread started on the Princess board so has no relation to what HAL provides.

But this isn't the Princess Board.

It is here now on the Ask a Cruise Question Board. I don't read the Princess Board so have no idea about any threads there.

But this isn't the Princess Board.

It is here now on the Ask a Cruise Question Board. I don't read the Princess Board so have no idea about any threads there.

Hi Sail!

I have the same comment to the poster about this being on the Princess Board. You said it much more diplomatically than I would have. FYI, I have "smuggled" in the past, but this last trip, I had a bottle delivered to my room at the beginning of the cruise, as you said. It worked out well. My only complaint is that it came with three cans of Coke as a mixer.

John

Since it's been a long time since I have been on Princess, I want to make sure I understand.

I can take as many bottles of wine as I want? Not limited to one?

Do they have to be in carryon? Do they have to be in checked?

I will follow the rules, but for 14 days I'm thinking my friend and I will probably each bring 2.

Hi glendale, Yes you can bring more than one bottle of wine on Princess, you can even bring more wine on board from the port stops. Princess is one of the mainstream cruise lines that still treats their passengers like adults. Have a great cruise and be sure to check out some of the local wines from your various ports.

You can order 375 ml bottles on Princess also at the same price you would buy them at home for a 750 ml bottle but I'm sure after people find out the price very few people would do so.

I think this thread ought to be locked, along with MDR dress, water on the ship, and smoking. All these subjects have been beaten to death

STOP reading them.

Archived