Cruise Interruption Insurance

Astro Flyer

While this Hurricane Irene situation in San Juan isn't affecting Princess passengers, it is an example of what could happen to any of us when the ship is forced to sail early. The Carnival Victory left 300 passengers by sailing 4 hours early & the Serenade of the Seas sailed without 145 passengers by departing 3 hours early. :eek:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4584

RCCL says those not on a sail/fly package are on their own & Carnival hasn't decided yet what to do with those left behind.

I wonder if those on ship's excursions were notified in time? If not, I wonder if the cruies lines will take care of those on their shore excursions who were left behind in San Juan? :confused:

It's just another example about why it's a good idea to have trip insurance for when something goes wrong because none of us knows how Princess would react.

At least Carnival's response was much better & it's probably how Princess would also respond...it only seems the fair thing to do. ;)

Carnival response was markedly different. Spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz tells Cruise Critic that the line offered complimentary hotel rooms for two nights in San Juan to all 300 passengers, regardless of whether they booked air through the line. The 300 impacted passengers were also offered a free flight to Barbados to meet the ship. The flight required that they have a passport; about half of the passengers took the line up on the hotel and air offer.

De la Cruz said that any passenger who missed the Carnival Victory cruise will be refunded in the form of a future cruise credit.

I don't like to take my passport from the ship & hopefully they'd accept a copy of it in such a situation. :eek:

...I wonder if those on ship's excursions were notified in time? If not, I wonder if the cruies lines will take care of those on their shore excursions who were left behind in San Juan? :confused:
San Juan was the embarkation port, so nobody was on an excursion. Those left behind were either still arriving by air or had left the ship to go into town on their own.

San Juan was the embarkation port, so nobody was on an excursion. Those left behind were either still arriving by air or had left the ship to go into town on their own.
IF anyone is on a ship's excursion and the ship for whatever reason has to depart early or relocate, the passengers on the tour will be taken care of.

The situation in San Juan, while unusual, does happen and isn't unexpected during hurricane season. When someone books during hurricane season, they should be prepared that anything can happen, and will on occasion. Not having insurance or cruising without a passport is a choice and a gamble you take. I feel badly for the passengers left behind but the cruiseline(s) aren't responsible for their bad choices. Even here in SoCal, the news stations have had frequent reports about Irene.

IF anyone is on a ship's excursion and the ship for whatever reason has to depart early or relocate, the passengers on the tour will be taken care of.

The situation in San Juan, while unusual, does happen and isn't unexpected during hurricane season. When someone books during hurricane season, they should be prepared that anything can happen, and will on occasion. Not having insurance or cruising without a passport is a choice and a gamble you take. I feel badly for the passengers left behind but the cruiseline(s) aren't responsible for their bad choices. Even here in SoCal, the news stations have had frequent reports about Irene.

Thanks Pam, I misread the original CC article as being in a port of call & not at embarkation :o.

My mistake & I agree with your assessment about this situation.

The threads concerning this on the Carnival and RCI boards are interesting. It certainly appears that Carnival has handled the situation better than RCI, especially in the minds of those that post on their boards...

That's why I take my passport - NOT a copy - with me whenever I go ashore.

That's a good idea & I also keep a copy on the ship just in case my passport is lost because I've read that makes getting a replacement faster.

The threads concerning this on the Carnival and RCI boards are interesting. It certainly appears that Carnival has handled the situation better than RCI, especially in the minds of those that post on their boards...

I guess that's to be expected & even if RCCL makes a change passengers will remember their original response also. :p

We will be sailing out of San Juan on a B2B and they do offer excursions in San Juan. So that may not necessarily be true

We will be sailing out of San Juan on a B2B and they do offer excursions in San Juan. So that may not necessarily be true

On turnaround day, that is true for those on a B2B.

However, those embarking for the first time that day are not offered any excursions unless they are part of a pre-cruise hotel package from Princess that includes them.

Archived