Can you bring a can of pop to the MDR?

Missiowa

I will know if I am drinknig red wine out of a white wine glass. :D

The bars do have different wine glasses. Red, white, champagne. Never had a problem getting what I needed.

Once it is in the glass no one knows where it came from. Unless of course you drink your wine in the wrong glass.;) The ones in the cabins are white wine, YMMV.

Don't get me started on the different types of beer glasses/mugs/steins.:p

31XYSMY5DPL._AA160_.jpgred wine glass

317ST5FJTFL._AA160_.jpgwhite wine glass

I always learn something here! Of course now I know why DH coke tasted funny--it was in the wrong glass. ;) We also try to bring back our cabin glasses back from MDR -I heard it was harder for room steward to get and maintain glass stock.

1. No one will stop you, so you "can" bring it in.
  2. It looks tacky.
  3. It's frowned upon. If CCL embraced cans in the MDR, they wouldn't provide glasses.

Why not tell your husband to be "big boy", suck it up and drink a Coke? there isn't that big of a difference. OR pour it in a glass prior to entering the MDR? Since you really care about appearances (you posted this), there are options.

Carnival says that it's ok to bring "SOFT DRINKS" onto the cruise ship. Carnival "does NOT" specify what brands of soft drinks that you may bring. Carnival "DOES NOT" specify in what areas of the cruise ship you may or may not bring those soft drinks.

So the impression I get from Carnival is that even though they only serve Coke products, they don't mind their passengers bringing on other brands if that will keep them happy. Also since you have already paid to eat in the MDR, they don't mind you bringing in other brands to drink(just like there are people who always drink wine with dinner, there are those who drink sodas also).

There are also a lot of people out there who only drink Pepsi and not Coke. And NO amount of "sucking it up", will make them drink Coke.

So to please as many as possible Carnival has"COMPROMISED"(I know that's a dirty word to a lot of people out there) to give EVERYONE a chance to drink what ever they want in the MDR and on the rest of the ship.

Now for the most important part.

There is no "TACKY LAW"!

There is only opinions by people like you, who think it's tacky. And people like me, who not only DON'T think it's tacky, but we really don't care who brings what soft drink into the MDR, or how they drink it either.

Rules and decorum for the MDR are set by the host(Carnival). Not by other guests of the host.

• Like 1

I will know if I am drinknig red wine out of a white wine glass. :D

The bars do have different wine glasses. Red, white, champagne. Never had a problem getting what I needed.

Once it is in the glass no one knows where it came from. Unless of course you drink your wine in the wrong glass.;) The ones in the cabins are white wine, YMMV.

Don't get me started on the different types of beer glasses/mugs/steins.:p

31XYSMY5DPL._AA160_.jpgred wine glass

317ST5FJTFL._AA160_.jpgwhite wine glass

I believe that the white wine glass has the longer stem so that you can place your hand there to raise the glass to your mouth and the body heat from your touch will not affect the temperature of the chilled wine in the glass. It is the same reasoning behind the longer stem on a champagne glass.

The red wine glass has a shorter stem because you're supposed to cradle the bottom of the bulbous portion of the glass since red wine is drunk at room temperature. It is the same way with a brandy snifter. I believe that the circumference of the red wine glass is also larger than a white wine glass so that the wine can more easily "breathe".

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but this stuff is sitting in my useless information portion of my brain and I thought it would be impolite not to share.;)

We normally stop by the bar and purchase our beers and take into the dining room.......otherwise you might get your beer at dessert time.....

A Sam Adam's Cherry Wheat goes well with a slice of cheesecake. Oh yea, Carnival doesn't sell that.:rolleyes:

In fact I'm going to wear a belt that will hold all of my beers sorta like grenades, maybe even the strap across my chest so I don't clutter up the table. Or should I just bring my rolling cooler? Only on non elegant nights of course. LoL

Disgusting.

The ONLY acceptable method of bringing/drinking beer in the MDR is by wearing a hard hard with the beer cans attached around the outside. And of course a hose hanging down and into your mouth. :D:D

• Haha 1

No the county below us .I think were just going to get alot of rain ,they say 15 inches

thanks though

A few trees on cars here in Richmond but all in all not devastating to most. Hopefully in three weeks the southern carrib will be sunny and calm.

Disgusting.

The ONLY acceptable method of bringing/drinking beer in the MDR is by wearing a hard hard with the beer cans attached around the outside. And of course a hose hanging down and into your mouth. :D:D

Touche. If i wasnt doing anytime dining I'd be honored to share a table with you fine sir.:D

I believe that the white wine glass has the longer stem so that you can place your hand there to raise the glass to your mouth and the body heat from your touch will not affect the temperature of the chilled wine in the glass. It is the same reasoning behind the longer stem on a champagne glass.

The red wine glass has a shorter stem because you're supposed to cradle the bottom of the bulbous portion of the glass since red wine is drunk at room temperature. It is the same way with a brandy snifter. I believe that the circumference of the red wine glass is also larger than a white wine glass so that the wine can more easily "breathe".

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but this stuff is sitting in my useless information portion of my brain and I thought it would be impolite not to share.;)

Thanks for sharing, now if someone would enlighten me that I am really drinking sparling wine not "Champagne" would help. I guess if it is not from a region of France?

We normally stop by the bar and purchase our beers and take into the dining room.......otherwise you might get your beer at dessert time.....

Here...Here. My DH said the same. They could double team the drink servers and bartenders in beginning of dining shift as that would increase their revenue and happier cruisers. We have had that as a chronic problem most cruises of slow service or a deer in the headlights look of not understanding. We also are happy to sign for our beverages, but not when we have to go find the waiter, or worse..sign a slip the next night.

• 7 years later...
On 8/25/2011 at 10:25 PM, The4Cruisers said:

I bring a can of soda to the MDR every night. On the first night, I ask for a glass of ice and they oblige. Each of the other nights, there's a glass of ice waiting for me.

I also order a whiskey sour with dinner from the bar waiter, so they probably don't mind my soda too much. 😄

That's good to know, thank you.  We prefer club soda to help with our digestion and plan to buy some bottles pre-cruise.  I was thinking we would need ice 😁

33 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

That's good to know, thank you.  We prefer club soda to help with our digestion and plan to buy some bottles pre-cruise.  I was thinking we would need ice 😁

Despite this being an 8 year old thread, pretty much everything holds true... but @red-dragon I wanted to make sure you knew that you're not allowed to bring on bottles of any beverage (except the 1 750ml bottle of wine per adult). So make sure your club soda is in cans!

Edited by Shaded Lady
typo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

And how, pray tell, did you find this 8 year old thread about a can of pop.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

Despite this being an 8 year old thread, pretty much everything holds true... but @red-dragon I wanted to make sure you knew that you're not allowed to bring on bottles of any beverage (except the 1 750ml bottle of wine per adult). So make sure your club soda is in cans!

Thanks for your concern and mentioning the limits. I'm so glad they allow non-alcoholic beverages.  When we first cruised, it wasn't permitted.

I went back to Royal Caribbean's website and it lists this though?

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

I'm guessing they did a search????

I was going to start a new thread, but I found this on quick search, yes.  I actually didn't notice it was from 2011!  That's what happens when you spend too much time on forums, my eyes start to go fuzzy!!! 

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

I figured it was probably a google search, but for some reason it just hit me funny 😉

Too funny!  I didn't even notice the date, I was too focused that someone had the same question as me 🤣

38 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

Thanks for your concern and mentioning the limits. I'm so glad they allow non-alcoholic beverages.  When we first cruised, it wasn't permitted.

I went back to Royal Caribbean's website and it lists this though?

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom.

OK @red-dragon but to clarify, are you traveling on RCCL or Carnival? What I quoted to you is the policy for Carnival... to recap, each person is allowed to bring up to 12 12oz cans or cartons of non-alcoholic beverages onboard. Also 1 750ml bottle of wine per person over 21... both must be in your carry-on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaded Lady said:

OK @red-dragon but to clarify, are you traveling on RCCL or Carnival? What I quoted to you is the policy for Carnival... to recap, each person is allowed to bring up to 12 12oz cans or cartons of non-alcoholic beverages onboard. Also 1 750ml bottle of wine per person over 21... both must be in your carry-on.

OMG!  My bad, I need to take a break from the Internet 😴  The OP was referring to their "Carnival" cruise.  DUH!!!

I should have started a new thread .... lol

Yes, I will be on RCI cruise.

Thanks for pointing this all out!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, red-dragon said:

OMG!  My bad, I need to take a break from the Internet 😴  The OP was referring to their "Carnival" cruise.  DUH!!!

I should have started a new thread .... lol

Yes, I will be on RCI cruise.

Thanks for pointing this all out!

Happens to the best of us!

• Haha 1