What is "the hump"?

jarand

On Royal Caribbean ships that have them, the hump is generally considered a desirable spot. If you look at a deck plan of, say, Liberty of the seas, you will see just past mid ship an area with cabins that stick out further. they tend to have a nice view. some have bigger balconies, a few at the junction of the hump and rest of the ship have smaller ones. they are close to the stairs and elevators, but due to the floor plan, are still quiet enough.

The hump refers to to two areas on a certain model of ship. There are about 10-12 ships of this type spread across many cruise lines. On both sides, the side of the upper portion of the ship is depressed inwards about 20 or so feet, for the middle portion of the ship. If your cabin is at the location where the side of the ship indents, you are said to be on the hump.

This is slightly different than as described above on the RCCL ships. If you look at the 4 Vista class and 2 Signature class ships in the Holloand America fleet, you will see what I am referring to.

I think some people find this a negative, but after staying in one of HAL's Noordam hump cabins, it isn't that bad.

I'm not sure what CruiserBruce is referring to but the "hump" as talked about here on Cruise Critic is the part of the ship that sticks out along the side, not in. He could be talking about a term on a cruise line I am unfamiliar with.

If you look at any RCI Radiance, Voyager, Freedom, or Oasis Class ship, or any Celebrity Solstice Class ship, you will see a portion of the ship that juts out along the side. Having a room on on that part of the ship is called being on the hump. It's usually a good thing because if you are in the center (center-hump), your views are a little better and there are no obstructions when looking straight down at the water.

I'm not sure what CruiserBruce is referring to but the "hump" as talked about here on Cruise Critic is the part of the ship that sticks out along the side, not in. He could be talking about a term on a cruise line I am unfamiliar with.

What I am describing refers to 6 HAL ships, and about 6 similar ships owned by other lines, including Costa, Carnaval and Cunard. The phrase "hump cabin" is used to refer to these cabins on the HAL board.

Why try to describe it, when a photo will do. I've attached a photo of part of deck 9 of Adventure of the Seas. As you can see the hump cabins extend further out from each side of the ship than the non-hump cabins before and after. I believe they start at desk 5 and end at deck 10. Their placement on the deck is aft of amidship.

HumpCab.jpg

SBtS

Great idea!

Humps...

Radiance of the Seas:

2899249130080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Celebrity Solstice:

2915174000080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

Explorer of the Seas:

2851751300080150150S600x600Q85.jpg

I took my mom and a cruise for her birthday; we went on Radiance of the Seas....we were in a "bump out" cabin and loved it! It was the best! I love these cabins!

We had a great time. :)

Why try to describe it, when a photo will do. I've attached a photo of part of deck 9 of Adventure of the Seas. As you can see the hump cabins extend further out from each side of the ship than the non-hump cabins before and after. I believe they start at desk 5 and end at deck 10. Their placement on the deck is aft of amidship.

HumpCab.jpg

SBtS

Would all the humps in this deck plan be considered desirable or just some?

Would all the humps in this deck plan be considered desirable or just some?

Almost all of them would be considered so. They are often the higher end balcony rooms or suites. Judging by the picture shown and many of the rooms being wider, I'd say that is the case in this example as well. On Oasis and Allure these are the D1 rooms with a larger balcony than all of the other classes in that catagory and is what I have booked for my next cruise.

We had a hump-cabin on the Carnival Legend. It was the last room in the hump area which meant we only had one balcony neighbor and just a wall directly across from us. It was a very quiet location and convenient to the elevators and stairs. Ours was a 6D-balcony which was even less some of the more expensive extended balcony cabins with a lesser view.

Almost all of them would be considered so. They are often the higher end balcony rooms or suites. Judging by the picture shown and many of the rooms being wider, I'd say that is the case in this example as well. On Oasis and Allure these are the D1 rooms with a larger balcony than all of the other classes in that catagory and is what I have booked for my next cruise.

Sherri, where have you been? We miss you on the -what's for dinner- Miss your weight loss tips too. Take care, Cari

Archived