Experienced HAL - 7 day Inside Passage: PS or Aft VA for best view?

SweetP2

Okay I am looking for opinions from experienced HAL cruisers that have taken the 7 day Inside Passage trip :D. I have a long winded question below but trying to set the choices and our preferences.

We are thinking of doing 7 day Inside Passage (Zuidy) and we possibly have a choice to be on the very AFT-VA cabin (which we've been in twice before and LOVE the view) or the view from a starboard PS suite. Put aside all the exta bonuses with being in the PS suite...

Ultimately we are there to see Inside Passage/Alaska. We know we'd love it if we were on AFT-VA (minimum)..and keeping in mind we rather avoid crowded decks, we are from the canadian west coast and bundling up and sitting on our balcony is no big deal, and we quite enjoy it.

Here's the QUESTION:

So, if we were sitting on the deck of the Zuidy starboard PS suite, would we miss out on any or much scenery that is notable compared to the AFT-VA? (I know, notable is subjective). I understand for the Glacier Bay it is best viewed on the bow. So same loss of view on AFT-VA and the PS suite in that notable spot. What else would we miss? I thought the majority of the travelling is down on the way up than "coming home" and therefore would make sense to book the PS suite over the VA-AFT.

Weigh in experienced HAL Inside Passage Cruisers - I want to know!

SweetP2

I thought the majority of the travelling is down on the way up than "coming home" and therefore would make sense to book the PS suite over the VA-AFT.

SweetP2

Hi SweetP2!

Just returned from my second HAL Alaska trip. Note quite sure what you're saying above. But I'll try to answer your main question.

If you take the starboard PS, and stay in your suite, you'll miss everything on the port side of the ship. When you do the inside passage, there is scenery on both sides of the ship and what you see can change from voyage to voyage. Wildlife can be on either side of the ship. But when at glaciers, the captain will move the ship around so that both sides of the ship get views of the glaciers from their balconies. Albeit, only about half the time.

The aft cabin should get you views of both sides of the passage but you might only see the glacier only when you are departing.

Your choice.

I found that I prefer seeing both sides while we're cruising the inside passage. Consequently, I'm usually on deck somewhere, weather providing. MY DW and DMIL prefer the Crows Nest. When you're at the glaciers, I find it's best to be on deck forward. The glaciers make sounds and hearing the glacier calf is extraordinary.

Hope this helps.

John

Okay I am looking for opinions from experienced HAL cruisers that have taken the 7 day Inside Passage trip :D. I have a long winded question below but trying to set the choices and our preferences.

We are thinking of doing 7 day Inside Passage (Zuidy) and we possibly have a choice to be on the very AFT-VA cabin (which we've been in twice before and LOVE the view) or the view from a starboard PS suite. Put aside all the exta bonuses with being in the PS suite...

Ultimately we are there to see Inside Passage/Alaska. We know we'd love it if we were on AFT-VA (minimum)..and keeping in mind we rather avoid crowded decks, we are from the canadian west coast and bundling up and sitting on our balcony is no big deal, and we quite enjoy it.

Here's the QUESTION:

So, if we were sitting on the deck of the Zuidy starboard PS suite, would we miss out on any or much scenery that is notable compared to the AFT-VA? (I know, notable is subjective). I understand for the Glacier Bay it is best viewed on the bow. So same loss of view on AFT-VA and the PS suite in that notable spot. What else would we miss? I thought the majority of the travelling is down on the way up than "coming home" and therefore would make sense to book the PS suite over the VA-AFT.

Weigh in experienced HAL Inside Passage Cruisers - I want to know!

SweetP2

I've been flamed for making the choice of sticking with an aft wrap around over accepting the offer of a penthouse before. But after having experienced the beautiful sunrises and sunsets and views from the aft wrap around staterooms, I will never accept a penthouse, no matter the glorious goodies and extra space:)

For me, the aft wrap around staterooms are my penthouse:)

BUT, you asked about an Aft VA vs the Penthouse and I think you'd be better with the penthouse instead of the VA. May I suggest an aft SC or SB that wrap?

Joanie

No disrespect intended, but I can't understand why you would be considering the VA, if the PS is in the works.

Hello Bruce - no disrespect taken and I totally understand your reaction. It does sound kinda duh... however, where we are coming from is...in today's economy we'd prefer to save $$ where possible - to take the PS for this trip (pay extra $$) just to be in the luxury/perks and miss some of the views as described by John (jschm27) of the inside passage (both sides) wouldn't be the right thing to do for us. Believe me, I can easily talk myself into taking the PS :p. Jury still out and we have a few days to decide. I know we'll enjoy the trip either way, we love HAL and this is almost Home Port for us!

Thank you for your honest reply!

SweetP2

Hi SweetP2!

Just returned from my second HAL Alaska trip. Note quite sure what you're saying above. But I'll try to answer your main question.

If you take the starboard PS, and stay in your suite, you'll miss everything on the port side of the ship. When you do the inside passage, there is scenery on both sides of the ship and what you see can change from voyage to voyage. Wildlife can be on either side of the ship. But when at glaciers, the captain will move the ship around so that both sides of the ship get views of the glaciers from their balconies. Albeit, only about half the time.

The aft cabin should get you views of both sides of the passage but you might only see the glacier only when you are departing.

Your choice.

I found that I prefer seeing both sides while we're cruising the inside passage. Consequently, I'm usually on deck somewhere, weather providing. MY DW and DMIL prefer the Crows Nest. When you're at the glaciers, I find it's best to be on deck forward. The glaciers make sounds and hearing the glacier calf is extraordinary.

Hope this helps.

John

Thank you John - good info. We were planning on heading to the bow to view the Glaciers for sure no matter PS or VA-AFT.

So if we are doing the Inside Passage on the way up and down...then we would see both sides just not at the same time like we would directly on the AFT, correct?

[this is where I start talking myself into the PS - LOL]

Sweetp2

BUT, you asked about an Aft VA vs the Penthouse and I think you'd be better with the penthouse instead of the VA. May I suggest an aft SC or SB that wrap?

Joanie

Hi Joanie - we are two couples and have tentavely booked two VA-AFT side by side (8th deck) and both couples wouldn't be able to afford a SC or SB each...however, 4 of us can easily share a PS than SC or SB.

[still talking myself into the PS suite]

PS (no pun intended) ~ we agree with you re: the AFT...all 4 have only travelled on HAL ships from the direct AFT VA suites and all 4 of us love the wake, the full view from there!

I would choose the aft cabin because the views will be spectacular and you will be sheltered from the elements.

Yah-but the PS Suite has a hottub on the deck which would keep us warm and sheltered LOL - yes, still talking myself into the PS suite. :D and the VA-AFT may be losing!

Thanks Missy Lou

I was in 5191 (SC) on the Oosterdam in May. It's a aft corner with the wrap around veranda. The thing about the aft corners on Deck 5 is that their verandas are completely covered. All others are only partially coverred. On the day we were in Glacier Bay with rained/sprinled all day. That fully-covered veranda came in handy. It's Deck 5 for me on the Vista-class. We're booked in 5190 on the Westy next May.

We took the Inside Passage on the Zuiderdam in July, in the Penthouse (pics & review here). I don't think I would have exchanged that cabin for any other, including an aft!

If you are wondering if it is worth it to spend the extra money, well, it's really a personal question. It was worth it to us because we were travelling with a large family group and we wanted a place where everyone could gather and not be crowded. Also, we have small children and wanted the space where they could play and not be in the way. Also, they enjoyed going into the jacuzzi on the balcony, which meant we could keep them close to us while enjoying the scenery in Glacier Bay, and they were happy too.

Not being able to see what's on the other side of the ship is not, in my opinion, a reason to forgo a penthouse cabin if you really want it and can afford it. You said you like to spend time on your balcony. Well, you will have an enormous balcony with a cozy, comfy recessed bench and dining table to enjoy your hot coffee or chocolate, or even breakfast or tea service while enjoying the views. (link to balcony pics & review here)

While the aft view is extremely good, I preferred the bow over the aft for our Glacier Bay day and also the half day in Tracy Arm. We did go up to the decks to see the views from all sides, and I would guess that you will, also. However, we could then go back to our wonderful PS and hang out on the huge balcony with a coffee and snacks from the Neptune Lounge and enjoy the scenery.

In Glacier Bay, I feel like we had more time facing the Margerie Glacier than the starboard side (my brother had a starboard VB cabin, and we ran back and forth when the ship turned). We saw huge calving up close from our balcony, and saw whales on the way out from Glacier Bay, also from our balcony. In our case, the aft had the least time facing the glacier up close, because the captain did not turn the ship all the way around. Instead, we turned from port side facing the glacier to bow to starboard, then back to bow and back to port, before turning so the aft was facing the glacier, and then we sailed away.

Whatever choice you make, I am sure you will have a great cruise!

I was in 5191 (SC) on the Oosterdam in May. It's a aft corner with the wrap around veranda. The thing about the aft corners on Deck 5 is that their verandas are completely covered. All others are only partially coverred. On the day we were in Glacier Bay with rained/sprinled all day. That fully-covered veranda came in handy. It's Deck 5 for me on the Vista-class. We're booked in 5190 on the Westy next May.

The balcony of the Penthouse is almost completely covered also (it only juts out a little bit more than the balconies above it at the bend). We had beautiful weather in Glacier Bay, but it rained in Tracy Arm, and we were dry and comfortable on the balcony, some under blankets in the dining nook and others in the lounge chairs.

Thank you John - good info. We were planning on heading to the bow to view the Glaciers for sure no matter PS or VA-AFT.

So if we are doing the Inside Passage on the way up and down...then we would see both sides just not at the same time like we would directly on the AFT, correct?

[this is where I start talking myself into the PS - LOL]

Sweetp2

Yah! You got it. If you have the PS, you see both sides if you return to your original port of embarkation, i.e. embark and disembark in Vancouver. If you go one way, i.e. Vancouver to Seward, you see only one side, assuming you never leave your PS. Either way, when it's dark, you see nothing. That's pretty obvious.

Here are a couple of secrets about viewing the glaciers from the bow. If you go to the actual bow, get there early because folks line up 3 to 4 deep. BUT I usually don't go there! Depending what class of ship you are on, there is usally a weather deck or two above the main deck that opens onto the bow AND usually there are few people there. Check for an deck just in front of the gym. Just be careful when you go out there not to let too much cold air into the gym. There will be folks on the bikes while you are at the glaciers :confused: and they don't like frigid breezes. Also if you are on the actual bow, the stewards will serve hot dutch pea soup.

John

To spend some time viewing the glaciers from your own personal hot tub---well that sounds so deliciously decadent.

The only thing that would make it better would be if you were also sipping champagne and eating chocolate at the same time.

How can you pass on that mental image??? ;)

As did Joanie, we had an SC aft wrap aboard Zuiderdam (twice:D).

Hope never to sail another Vista without one!

Nobody can say that the Penthouse isn't fabulous but you will not get this view from there.

More than once, we saw whales playing in the wake.

Glacier viewing was extended as we got to see the Glacier when both sides of the ship

faced the Glacier as well as the "stern viewing" time.

You also (depending on weather) have a wind-chill factor on a side verandah whenever

the ship is moving. Not so much on the stern.:)

For your four, consider an SC (or SB) aft-wrap AND the VA or VB next door.

With the wrap you get the side view as well as this stern view. And you

can connect the balconies.

No hot tub though.;)

Cheers!

P1000202_0650.jpg

Unfortunately there are no wrap around deck suites available. Someone has blocked them all - no SB or SC AFT....

I think the PS will win over the two VA-AFT but have to wait for the other couple to make their decision.

I appreciate everyones replies, info, advice...and pics!

I'll let you all know what we end up deciding as a "team" (a cruising team that is!). Hopefully they don't take too long before the PS gets booked...but alas, we'd still end up on HAL and on the AFT :D priceless either way!

SweetP2

We were in a VA smack in the middle of the stern, and you can only see both sides if you're standing at the rail. Sitting on a chair or lounger, your view is somewhat blocked by the veranda partitions.

Unfortunately there are no wrap around deck suites available. - no SB or SC AFT....

I think the PS will win over the two VA-AFT but have to wait for the other couple to make their decision.

SweetP2

If you can't do the wrap then (heck, shucks, oh well ...) then I guess you can just "make do" with the Penthouse.

You will love every minute. Not only will you have the Penthouse, you will have ALL the perks that go with it including unlimited laundry and being able to have dinner served in your very own dining room.

If the price is even close (for the four of you) you would kick yourselves forever if you choose two VAs over the Penthouse. (JMHO)

Have a great cruise.

Unfortunately there are no wrap around deck suites available. Someone has blocked them all - no SB or SC AFT....

I appreciate everyones replies, info, advice...and pics!

I'll let you all know what we end up deciding as a "team" (a cruising team that is!). Hopefully they don't take too long before the PS gets booked...but alas, we'd still end up on HAL and on the AFT :D priceless either way!

SweetP2

SweetP2 - your problem with the SC's/SB's - there are four of you. The aft wraps only accommodate three (sofa bed is a single).

With the PH, you don't have the usual problem of "4 people, one bathroom". The PH has that additional half bath (no tub/shower).

We love the PS, as you can enjoy the view from all the large windows regardless of the weather, and there is nothing like lying in bed and watching the view. The veranda is great, and remember that the ship goes up one side, and comes back down the other, so you will be able to enjoy both shores. Enjoy your cruise whichever cabin you choose.

PS7045 - whoohoo...we have all decided to go with the Penthouse (starboard) for round trip vancouver 7 days inside passage...the birthday girl was told last night of the surprise of going into the PS instead of the VA-AFT...and it was a "no brainer" per Barbi.

So, we booked today the PS 7045 - 4 people for the price of 2 fares! It will be an adventure of a lifetime :)

I'd like to thank all the experienced HAL cruisers who provided their opinion...every word was read and weighed...

Sept 8, 2012 we'll be on the Zuidy once again with very great, close friends who we get to share this adventure. Same friends we shared an adventure on Zuidy in 05 thru Panama from FLL to YVR.

Love this message board, PRICELESS :D

We love the PS, as you can enjoy the view from all the large windows regardless of the weather, and there is nothing like lying in bed and watching the view. The veranda is great, and remember that the ship goes up one side, and comes back down the other, so you will be able to enjoy both shores. Enjoy your cruise whichever cabin you choose.

Thanks Sage - you are so right. As you may see from recent post, we did the right thing...what the frig eh! It's the PENTHOUSE. When all 4 rec'd confirmation back from TA today, we were doing cyber dances as we were all working and 2 in one city and 2 in another...LOL...technology connecting us!

It was a good friends 60th and we waited for her to do the final decision...Normally we wouldn't consider the PS but 2 for 4 how can you not book! We know any suite, spot will not be perfect....but overall, we know the trip with great friends on HAL will be perfect!

SP

Archived