New Chef's Table Menu

antigualvr

Is the Chefs Table worth the $$$ if you do not eat seafood? I hope someone posts the menu on this thread. I have wanted to do this but I don't eat seafood (just shrimp) :(

I let them know ahead of time and they had a delicious chicken dish for me plus if I had said shrimp, I am guessing they would have had it. It is really worth the $75 pp. Enjoy!

Sea Bass and Filet... HISTORY...

OH WELL!

Tom

Guess I may need to rethink the Chef's Table...:(

They told us at our Chef's Table, how very expensive sea bass is, so I guess this should come as NO surprise (even though I thought the $75 surcharge was enough to keep it from disappearing. It's not like you got a big portion of it)

To replace that with Cornish Game Hen is just crappy.

I'll add an extra night at the steak house if this new menu goes fleet wide.

A few of us are signed up for the CT on the Magic. We might cancel if the new menu is in place. I really don't need to spend the $$ to eat a $3 hen.

Seriously, the $$ that they make on this is pure profit. Someone made a really poor business decision.

From JHs facebook page just now.

We ate at Daniel's table on Magic August 15th and we LOVED it! What a wonderful experience. It sounded much better than some we had heard about on other fleets. From start to finish - art and gourmet excellence!! And to end it all with an autographed cookbook and picture of all of us ... classy

From JHs facebook page just now.

We ate at Daniel's table on Magic August 15th and we LOVED it! What a wonderful experience. It sounded much better than some we had heard about on other fleets. From start to finish - art and gourmet excellence!! And to end it all with an autographed cookbook and picture of all of us ... classy

If we opt for it again, we'll pass on the Cookbook, having just given a few to Goodwill!

Tom

Well, per John this menu is only on the Magic currently. He also said it is still subject to further revisions and adjustments.

"Its only here on the Carnival Magic so far and the design of the menu has been completley changed from the one you posted. It is not around the fleet yet as we are looking at maybe making more tweaks. I will follow up with this very soon mate. Cheers"

I think by design he is saying the crazy bubbles and the lack of capitals!

This is exactly the news I wanted to hear! Thanks for the follow-up.

I don't like the fact that Carnival has a menu for the Chef's Table that appears it could be used across the fleet. Do all ships serve the same meal at the Chef's Table normally? I know there is a change in the works; but is the end result likely to be a similar menu on each ship?

When I think of a Chef's Table, I think of a chef cooking his best dishes and not following a menu set by someone else. Perhaps some cost controls are in place...spend x per diner...but it should be a showcase of the chef's abilities.

I'm 50/50 on trying this the next time we sail...I'll keep reading your reports and reviews and see how that leads me!!

When I think of a Chef's Table, I think of a chef cooking his best dishes and not following a menu set by someone else. Perhaps some cost controls are in place...spend x per diner...but it should be a showcase of the chef's abilities.

THANK YOU - YES !!

When I first learned that the Chef's Table menu was fleet wide, and not really a creation each Chef, I admittedly felt a bit let down.

... of well -- I don't suppose we should have expected something REALLY original!

Tom

i see you're in fredericksburg - i'm in alexandria. I may get a second cookbook next month as we hope to do the chef's table again. if you know someone up my way, i'd be happy to pass on the second cookbook (no need for me to have 2!). let me know - it's pretty big so it could be costly to mail.

is the new chef's table menu posted anywhere online? when i searched the boards, i found a lot of posts discussing the menu, but nothing that actually showed all of the courses.

:confused: Page 1 of this thread has the menu this discussion is based on. That one has all of the courses listed.

I don't like the fact that Carnival has a menu for the Chef's Table that appears it could be used across the fleet. Do all ships serve the same meal at the Chef's Table normally? I know there is a change in the works; but is the end result likely to be a similar menu on each ship?

I'm 50/50 on trying this the next time we sail...I'll keep reading your reports and reviews and see how that leads me!!

Well, in a land based kitchen with multiple suppliers for one particular kitchen I can understand that. It would certainly be a nice touch on board too. I wonder though what it would take to order 24 portions (12 diners, two seatings per cruise) of something for one specific chef on one specific ship in a port. Sure, anything is doable though but does a corp the size of CCL want to mess with that?

I guess as an alternative they could allow them free reign of other items typically found on board anyway.

texasron>>>When I think of a Chef's Table, I think of a chef cooking his best dishes and not following a menu set by someone else. Perhaps some cost controls are in place...spend x per diner...but it should be a showcase of the chef's abilities.<<<<

.....not the sharpness of the CFO's pencil.

Compared to the old menu the new one sounds awful....it's a joke

right? If not, I'll pass on the Chef's Table next cruise and just grab

a nice filet at the steakhouse.

:cool:

Well what bunch of hooey... We made reservations long ago and even allocated an extra $150 in funship dollars already in the onboard account to pay for it long ago. With this menu maybe we will just do the steakhouse instead. Nothing on here really sounds all that appealing. As mentioned above you have the opportunity for ribs in the MDR. I understand that part of the experience is the location and presentation and limited access... but is that worth and extra $40 per person over the steakhouse?

Potato pebbles?

And isn't tuna banh mi a sandwich?

Every "bavarios" I can find is a fruit dessert that seems like a mouse type of thing... this menu has it with spinach and veggies.

I think the important thing to consider is what they do with the food. The Bisque of Fire-Roasted Tomato from the old menu isn't just your normal tomato soup. I also suspect the items you mentioned won't be run-of-the-mill dishes when presented at the Chef's Table. I'd like to try this new menu on my next cruise.

Tim

We did the Chef's table on the Conquest this spring. It was a memorable experience. Chef Matthew told us that he is free to make some changes (sauces, etc.) to the dishes. He discussed some of the specific things he changes to suit his style/taste as he was presenting the dishes.

I think the important thing to consider is what they do with the food. The Bisque of Fire-Roasted Tomato from the old menu isn't just your normal tomato soup. I also suspect the items you mentioned won't be run-of-the-mill dishes when presented at the Chef's Table. I'd like to try this new menu on my next cruise.

Tim

Good points there Tim..and yes that soup was delicious!

What rubs me (and others it seems) wrong is taking filet and sea bass and replacing it with short ribs and salmon, both available in the MDR and much cheaper. I've had some excellent short ribs done a few different ways (I do mine for 6 hours w/red wine in a dutch oven) but to me theres a gap between short rib and filet. :(

Good points there Tim..and yes that soup was delicious!

What rubs me (and others it seems) wrong is taking filet and sea bass and replacing it with short ribs and salmon, both available in the MDR and much cheaper. I've had some excellent short ribs done a few different ways (I do mine for 6 hours w/red wine in a dutch oven) but to me theres a gap between short rib and filet. :(

If I leave now and drive straight through, I should be there by dinner time tomorrow. :D

I do see your point about the difference between filet and ribs. But after seeing what was presented at the Chef's Table I was at, I'm intrigued to see what they fill that gap with. I hope (and suspect) it will taste yummy! :)

If I leave now and drive straight through, I should be there by dinner time tomorrow. :D

I do see your point about the difference between filet and ribs. But after seeing what was presented at the Chef's Table I was at, I'm intrigued to see what they fill that gap with. I hope (and suspect) it will taste yummy! :)

There you go....come on up! Maybe I should make mine for the Chef's Table lol! I serve mine with rice or potatoes. :)

Tim

That soup looks amazing...

Tim

I absolutely do agree that what they do with the food is important...however, for me personally, cornish game hen prepared ANY way is not somethign I enjoy. I'm one of those that doesn't like anything but breast meat from any bird...turkey, or chicken don't enjoy duck at all) and would not order hen off a menu at any restuarant.

While I am sure there are people who dislike seafood and are thrilled that the hen rerplaces the sea bass, I just can't see paying an additional $75 for short ribs and hen, no matter how great the ambiance or how fancy that hen is prepared even if I DID like hen.

To me, this isn't just a change. It is a very big cut back and it stings even more due to the fact that you PAY for this meal.

While I totally have been understanding of the cutbacks in the mdr, this one is just not something I understand.

We, too, are reserved for the CT on the 10/7 Spirit to MR.

I will SERIOUSLY consider canceling our reserv if once onboard I find out the bass and filet have been replaced by game hen and short ribs and instead make reservations for two nights at the Steakhouse. And in the process saving us $30 and being able to have a fine dining experience twice versus once.

As a new hire flight engineer 35 years ago I always had to eat the Chicken.

Now as a retired Captain....Looks like it is Chicken Again! :D

I'm not so sure that they are trying to save money so much as perhaps change menu's from time to time.

I will let you know after I dine at the Chef's Table on the Magic Trans Atlantic Crossing. (Which by the way is sold out)

Archived