HAL newbie, should I book now or wait?

cyntil8ing

Hi. We're new to HAL, considering our first cruise on either the Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam. We plan to book a verandah cabin. We're not picky about cabin location, though we would obviously prefer not to have an obstructed view.

Final payment for the date we're considering (11/27/11) is in two weeks. We are firm on that date as we have already booked airfare.

Today, a VF guarantee rate dropped $100pp from what it's been for the past month that I've been watching it. There's also an SY guarantee that is only $100pp more than the VF, also a drop of $100pp. Based on past experience on Carnival and Celebrity, I didn't expect this to happen until after final payment.

So, now my questions become, if I should book now or wait until after final payment as I had planned?

And if I book now and rates drop further after final payment, can I 'upgrade' from a guarantee to a specific cabin at any time?

And finally, not being familiar with HAL cabins at all, in your opinion is it worth $200 for a superior verandah suite over a verandah? I know it's subjective but I'm curious. Am I correct in that suite amenities don't kick in until you get to deluxe verandah suite? So the difference is just a matter of cabin size?

Thanks for any help!

Personally - I would book the SY over the VF. It's more space and a (much) bigger bathroom.

There might be price drops after final payment date... which 99% of the time are for new bookings only.

If you'd rather take the chance on a lower price - and you don't care what you get... then wait...

We always book specific cabins, that way we don't end up with surprises. Look on the Deck Plans to see what cabins are available to see what your real choices might be...that may help. Sometimes "upgrades" aren't upgrades. It can also depend on anyone being prone to seasickness...the cabins farthest forward and aft might not be most comfortable, depending on your sailing waters...i.e. an SY is not for us on a "rough water" sailing unless I know which cabin it is. A good travel agent will be able to help you with your choices, too.

Welcome to HAL!

Can't help you out with when to book, but a comment about verandah cabins.

There are no obstructed verandah cabins on the Westerdam or Nieuw Amsterdam; the VH and VF cabins of deck 4 do have steel railings on the balconies though, and not Plexiglas only railings.

Thanks for helping everyone. We don't have motion sickness issues, and in fact, rather prefer it to be a bit rocky. Before we had children, dh and I used to run around the country riding roller coasters. We've stayed all the way forward, almost all the way aft, and in between and never have had a problem.

As far as price drops being applicable to new bookings only, that's the way it is elsewhere. However, if you are upgrading your cabin, they will give you the better cabin at the new price. You just can't get price reductions for your current category. And once there's nowhere higher to move, you're done.

In other words, if I book the VF guarantee at $799 and later the price of the VA drops to $809, I can upgrade to a VA for $10. Does it work this way on HAL too?

I generally book the lowest category I can live with and then watch prices. Often I can get a better cabin but sometimes I stay right where I am. It just makes the wait time go faster. ;-)

I would book NOW --- and getting a Superior suite for just $ 200 is a bargain, IMO. When you book a GTY with Holland -- you don't have any say as to where you will end up. Also even if you book a specific cabin and do NOT check the "possible upgrade" box ---- you are NOT notified ahead of time and given a choice. (This new cabin might not be in an area that you like). RE: obstructed views with VH and VF cabins --- you will see the lifeboats looking down but your view of the horizon should be fine.

No Question - if the SY is still available GRAB it!!!:D You are talking about a lot more space, bigger verandah and nice spots. Since motion doesn't bother you then you will have no issues. If you wait, they will most likely be gone and who knows? you could end up with an even nicer cabin - but the SY is just fine thank you very much :) Have a great cruise and a wonderful time - don't wait - take the SY;)

Thanks everyone for your advice. I waited a few days and got a bit lucky. I didn't realize that my Carnival status would get me a Mariner account. I guess I'm a 0 Star Mariner. :)

Anyway, with the Mariner account, we were able to book our preferred itinerary and even get the SY guarantee while staying under our budget. I'm so excited to have a countdown ticker again!

I guess I'm a 0 Star Mariner.
Actually, you ought to be treated as a 1-star Mariner.

The HAL website says:-

Terms and Conditions: Holland America Line's Mariner Society® Rewards Program (the "Program") is operated by Holland America Line Inc. ("HAL"). HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice. Membership may be terminated at HAL's sole discretion for anyone appearing to be utilizing the Program in a manner inconsistent with its terms, conditions or intent. To qualify as a member of the Program, you must have taken at least one eligible HAL cruise or have sailed aboard a “World’s Leading Cruise Lines” brand (Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line or Costa Cruises). Program level accrual is based on the number of eligible credits ("Cruise Day credits") earned per individual; Cruise Day credits are awarded for eligible cruise days or qualified onboard purchases (net of returns), and bonuses when available. Guests are eligible for Star Mariner membership after one qualifying cruise. Qualifying cruises for Star Mariner Status are defined as a cruise on any of the "World's Leading Cruise Lines" brand ships [Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, The Yachts of Seabourn or Costa Cruises]. These guests are automatically enrolled as a Star Mariner when they make their first booking with Holland America Line because of their affiliation with the World’s Leading Cruise Line. Subsequent Star levels are calculated on qualifying days and onboard spending on Holland America Line ships only. Holland America Line guests are eligible for Two-Star Mariner membership after 30 Cruise Day credits; Three-Star after 75 Cruise Day credits; Four-Star after 200 Cruise Day credits. Eligible cruises exclude certain reduced cruise fares (i.e., Employee, vendor rates, etc.) and other cruises as designated by HAL at its sole discretion. All questions or disputes regarding the eligibility for the Program or provision of benefits will be resolved by HAL at its sole discretion. HAL will not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver any of the Program benefits. Each Program member shall be responsible for advising the Mariner Society of address changes, and HAL shall have no liability for misdirected mail, or any consequences thereof. Other terms and conditions apply. Offer void where prohibited by law.
Another CC member has recently reported having been told something slightly different, but to the same effect.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I waited a few days and got a bit lucky. I didn't realize that my Carnival status would get me a Mariner account. I guess I'm a 0 Star Mariner. :)

Anyway, with the Mariner account, we were able to book our preferred itinerary and even get the SY guarantee while staying under our budget. I'm so excited to have a countdown ticker again!

Congrats on making the switch!! I'm booked on Westerdam 12/4 and was surprised to see an SZ-G offer on Wednesday at $999, so jumped on it for an upgrade from my VD stateroom. NOW, they are offerring the SZ at $899 and I have the price reduction request in front of my TA.

This is just to say, watch your price every day and something else good might happen.

: )

A very wise IMHO :) You're going to have a great cabin (well, technically a suite) and who knows where you could end up? anyways, the superior verandahs are very nice. :D Have a wonderful cruise

Archived