Royal Caribbean International will offer compensation to 130 passengers of the Seren

I do not have time to read all threads

or tried to keep up with these postings and different threads.

But if someone would like to respond.

Are there many Carnival or RCCL actual stranded passengers

posting relative to receiving or not advance notice of early departure.

What is nature and extent of receiving advance notice?

Were the workers caring for the stranded passengers

Carnival Employees or Port Contractors?

Were the workers not caring for the stranded passengers

RCCL Employees or Port Contractors?

What is nature and extent of initial communication of

Carnival and RCCL stranded or non arrival passengers

after ship early departure?

And shall we go back and dig up all the garbage on Carnival when they decided NOT to take care of their customers until the media got involved? It would be easy to do. Ask those people booked on the Splendor cruises just after the fire that were told by Carnival to take or leave the compensation being offered on upcoming Splendor cruises. Carnival changed their tune once the media started reporting. :rolleyes: Yes Royal Caribbean screwed up big time but let's not place Carnival on a pedestal as they have their share of major blunders too. Gotta love those Carnival cheerleaders that have come out of the wood work.

"Let's not put Carnival on a pedestal".

Exactly. Nobody is perfect, and for people to hold Carnival up like that, when they're not exactly perfect is more than a bit disingenuous.

We are discussing this particular incident not the cruise lines in general. I hope that I am not being labeled a Carnival cheerleader. I think that my postings over the years are pretty consistant in my preference for, and praise of, the RCI product.

I recognize and understand what you are saying and I don't completely disagree. But going by the contract, what did they do wrong? You are speaking from an ethics stand point and I get it.

I am speaking from a technical/contractual point. I'm not saying I wouldn't be pissed off if I were stranded but there are 3 sides to every story. And yes, Carnival trumped them in this regard and I am kind of surprised RCI didn't do more once they realized what Carnival did.

I agree. They followed the contract. Are you aware that for years the contract said that the cruise line makes no warranty as to the seaworthiness of its ships? Would it be acceptable for them to put a ship to sea that was unseaworthy just because it was stated in the contract that they could? From a technical/contractual point of view I guess it is. You are right, I do speak form an ethical point of view. That is how I try to run my life as well as my business.

Adam Goldstein's Blog that talks about the lessons they learned re: Hurricane Irene

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=4174

Although our standard position for weather related disruptions is to encourage guests to work directly with their air carriers in reaching the ship, in the case of Serenade of the Seas in San Juan, we should have recognized immediately that the forced departure of the ship, albeit out of our control, created an out of the norm situation. Although more than half of the 150 guests who missed the ship in San Juan were able to join Serenade in Aruba, earlier recognition would have resulted in us providing the best and fastest alternative travel arrangements to reach the ship and also providing more support in San Juan and/or over the phone for hotel and other arrangements.

All guests who missed Serenade of the Seas in San Juan received compensation, equivalent to the number of days they missed of that voyage. Although we have heard from very few of the affected guests, I apologize on behalf of Royal Caribbean that our “situation awareness” was not at its customary high level. We have learned some valuable lessons for the future.

I do not have time to read all threads

or tried to keep up with these postings and different threads.

But if someone would like to respond.

Are there many Carnival or RCCL actual stranded passengers

posting relative to receiving or not advance notice of early departure.

What is nature and extent of receiving advance notice?

Haven't seen any passenger postings stating otherwise, but RCCL spokesperson said that RCCL did not try to contact the passengers.

Were the workers caring for the stranded passengers

Carnival Employees or Port Contractors?

Carnival Employees, from what I've heard.

Were the workers not caring for the stranded passengers

RCCL Employees or Port Contractors?

I don't really understand the question...you're asking what type of workers didn't do anything for the stranded passengers. That's like asking "Who didn't chop down this tree?" The answer would be basically "everybody", unless I'm just totally confused (which is highly possible :rolleyes:).

What is nature and extent of initial communication of

Carnival and RCCL stranded or non arrival passengers

after ship early departure?

As stated above, RCCL did not attempt to contact their passengers.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.

We know RCCL's story; in so many words, "we are not offering compensation to guests who didn't book their travel through us". So you know their side.

We know the passengers story (I was on this sailing) - they (we) were not informed that the ship was departing early, even though the cruise line knew the night before that San Juan had a Tropical Storm Warning and Hurricane Watch.

What other side are we missing?

Yes, I know the passengers have an obligation to have common sense. The cruise line should have the same responsibility to do what they can as stranded passengers are inevitable.

At this point I think you understand what I'm saying and I certainly understand what you're saying. So, to respond would be beating a dead horse. I think you understand what I am suggesting.

I agree. They followed the contract. Are you aware that for years the contract said that the cruise line makes no warranty as to the seaworthiness of its ships? Would it be acceptable for them to put a ship to sea that was unseaworthy just because it was stated in the contract that they could? From a technical/contractual point of view I guess it is. You are right, I do speak form an ethical point of view. That is how I try to run my life as well as my business.

I am not saying that what they did was right, or that I would do it that way if I ran the business. I am saying that they don't have a contractual obligation to the passengers. It sucks, it's not fair, and it's not right... but there's nothing anyone can do about it.

It's great that you run your life and business ethically responsibly. I run my life the same way, but our lives are not the topic of discussion. And I don't think I have to explain why something like taht would be in a cruise contract... they are covering their butts in case anything happens - which is the sole reason for the contract in the first place.

I think we beat this one to death guys. Hopefully in the future they will do things differently but at least those folks got some sort of compensation. Most people who miss boats due to weather related issues don't get any sort of compensation.

He also says this in his blog - conveniently not mentioned in the previous copy and paste. It's what I said and what people should always assume is the case contractually.

This norm says Royal Caribbean will make alternative arrangements for guests who have made their travel arrangements through us and have had their travel disrupted, but guests who have made independent travel arrangements retain full responsibility for making it to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He also says this in his blog - conveniently not mentioned in the previous copy and paste. It's what I said and what people should always assume is the case contractually.

This norm says Royal Caribbean will make alternative arrangements for guests who have made their travel arrangements through us and have had their travel disrupted, but guests who have made independent travel arrangements retain full responsibility for making it to the ship.

So AG is standing by the contract in place of doing what is morally right? Why is he and Royal now apologizing to those customers that were affected? They were wrong. At first I felt that Royal was not in any way responsible for those people but when you really stop and think about it, they should have reacted in a more postive manner in the beginning. If Jack Williams were still in charge, those people would have been taken care of in the blink of an eye.

Of course they could have (and should have) reacted better. But the point is, they compensated those guests. And regardless of what the egos here on CC like to think that compensation had nothing to do with you guys - how could it since the decision was made prior to any posts here? - they cannot change the past. And now we all know what to expect in the future.

Buy travel insurance. Never rely on a corporation to do right by you beyond their legal obligation.

Of course they could have (and should have) reacted better. But the point is, they compensated those guests. And regardless of what the egos here on CC like to think that compensation had nothing to do with you guys - how could it since the decision was made prior to any posts here? - they cannot change the past. And now we all know what to expect in the future.

Buy travel insurance. Never rely on a corporation to do right by you beyond their legal obligation.

Seriously you can't be for real.

Seriously you can't be for real.

I think what honeybee says is just the unfortunate truth and pretty much fact. That's what travel insurance is there for. I honestly wouldn't expect more... it's unfortuante, but true.

That's the truth. This thing has us rethinking our decision to not buy travel insurance. It might be a good idea to have it.

The bold statement from the blog is very curious to me, wonder why they havent heard from those that were affected. :confused: My assumption would be a credit is useless if they dont plan to ever cruise with Royal in the future.

All guests who missed Serenade of the Seas in San Juan received compensation, equivalent to the number of days they missed of that voyage. Although we have heard from very few of the affected guests, I apologize on behalf of Royal Caribbean that our “situation awareness” was not at its customary high level. We have learned some valuable lessons for the future.

So for those that live in PR and drove to the port, too bad, I guess. Seems very unfair.

Hello posters - can you give me advice.

My wife and 2 friends got off the RCCL Enchantment this morning just before the return trip from Bermuda to Baltimore. They were in tears. She said it was chaotic on the ship as they were warned of very rough seas and so the ship would leave from Bermuda early (Sept 6 - today) due to Katia coming. Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. She said it was bad GOING from Baltimore due to storms - thus her fears of an awful trip back and 48 hours of sickness for her and friends. She said it was chaos in the centrum with people scrambling for flights out of Bermuda rather than endure a certain nightmare trip back via water.

So, I spent almost $1500 on 3 coach one-way fares home for the 3 of them and I hope to see if RCCL will allow us to collect on the insurance she bought from RCCL. The insurance was sold to us by RCCL for such "contingencies" so I hope it is covered and we get a future RCCL cruise or a credit (we are long time RCCL customers). In fact, we have another cruise booked with RCCL already for November.

If anyone has information on how RCCL handles these situations please let me know. If RCCL monitors these boards they can email me at fanzibar@yahoo.com with instructions on what to do. This is the first time in over 10 years I have had to collect on the insurance - so I hope they are nice and pay for the flights and at least give us a cruise credit for the 2 cabins!! I spend a lot of money on these ships so giving us a future cruise will pay off for them and make my wife happy.

Thanks all...and if anyone happens to have taken that return trip to Baltimore north of Hurricane Katia I would LOVE to know how bad it was!! That is NOT what I call a vacation :-)

Come on RCCL - do the right thing for us please!!!

My wife and 2 friends got off the RCCL Enchantment this morning just before the return trip from Bermuda to Baltimore. They were in tears. She said it was chaotic on the ship as they were warned of very rough seas and so the ship would leave from Bermuda early (Sept 6 - today) due to Katia coming. Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. She said it was bad GOING from Baltimore due to storms - thus her fears of an awful trip back and 48 hours of sickness for her and friends. She said it was chaos in the centrum with people scrambling for flights out of Bermuda rather than endure a certain nightmare trip back via water.

So, I spent almost $1500 on 3 coach one-way fares home for the 3 of them and I hope to see if RCCL will allow us to collect on the insurance she bought from RCCL. The insurance was sold to us by RCCL for such "contingencies" so I hope it is covered and we get a future RCCL cruise or a credit (we are long time RCCL customers). In fact, we have another cruise booked with RCCL already for November.

If anyone has information on how RCCL handles these situations please let me know. If RCCL monitors these boards they can email me at fanzibar@yahoo.com with instructions on what to do. This is the first time in over 10 years I have had to collect on the insurance - so I hope they are nice and pay for the flights and at least give us a cruise credit for the 2 cabins!! I spend a lot of money on these ships so giving us a future cruise will pay off for them and make my wife happy.

Thanks all...and if anyone happens to have taken that return trip to Baltimore north of Hurricane Katia I would LOVE to know how bad it was!! That is NOT what I call a vacation :-)

Huh? So you chose to book a flight home for them instead of stay on board? And now you want RCCL to reimburse you? No way, Jose. You're on a ship. They move.

I can't believe you'd even ask for such a gesture.

Have you contacted RCCL? What did they say?

Also, you might want to start a new thread...you might get more responses.

It was all said today in Adam's blog. He admitted that they dropped the ball. Will RCI learn from this? Probably not. This wasn't their first time and it won't be their last. It took the media getting involved to get RCI to react and make things right. Case closed in my book but will not be forgotten. ;)

Depending on the details of the compensation I wonder how this affects people with travel insurance who ahve already been loss protected? My guess would be credit towards future cruise so if someone got their cruise fare refunded from insurance would the insurance want an amount equal to the compensation back?

Are you sure anyone's insurance covered this set of circumstances? Upon learning of this incident I took the opportunity to reread my travel insurance policy. I could find nowhere in my policy where it talked about missing a connection because a conveyance departed early. Lots of talk about late arrivals, delays, etc. but nothing about arriving on time yet still missing the connection.

My wife and 2 friends got off the RCCL Enchantment this morning just before the return trip from Bermuda to Baltimore. They were in tears. She said it was chaotic on the ship as they were warned of very rough seas and so the ship would leave from Bermuda early (Sept 6 - today) due to Katia coming. Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. She said it was bad GOING from Baltimore due to storms - thus her fears of an awful trip back and 48 hours of sickness for her and friends. She said it was chaos in the centrum with people scrambling for flights out of Bermuda rather than endure a certain nightmare trip back via water.So, I spent almost $1500 on 3 coach one-way fares home for the 3 of them and I hope to see if RCCL will allow us to collect on the insurance she bought from RCCL. The insurance was sold to us by RCCL for such "contingencies" so I hope it is covered and we get a future RCCL cruise or a credit (we are long time RCCL customers). Snip I hope they are nice and pay for the flights and at least give us a cruise credit snip

So your wife and friends decided to depart early and fly home because they thought they might get seasick? good luck with that. I would be very surprised if an travel insurance covered such a choice. I do not think cruise lines promise smooth seas, especially at the peak of hurricane season! Nor do I think they insure against cloudy skies or precipitation.

I have been through some very rough weather and never have gotten sick. In fact sometimes enjoy watching the big waves, so I do sail during storm season. I know people who experience the downside of hurricane season and said never again. Perhaps your wife should not cruise during hurricane season. other times of year might be better.

Archived