Royal Caribbean International will offer compensation to 130 passengers of the Seren

I recognize and understand what you are saying and I don't completely disagree. But going by the contract, what did they do wrong? You are speaking from an ethics stand point and I get it. .

The contract tells people they only have to be onboard 90 minutes before departure. The people who did that were refused boarding.

One day, someone with money and time to burn, will contest these contracts that are at best, conflicting and confusing and which leave the customer totally at a loss, even when they exactly follow the rules. Which is probably how the cruise lines want them to be.

. . . Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. . . .

15 - 20 foot seas are not really hurricane generated height. I've been on Caribbean voyages that have had such conditions and not during hurricane season. Not really comfortable but certainly not impossible.

However, if your wife was extremely sensitive to ship motion I can see how this would be daunting. I wonder, did she take anything with her for motion sickness or did she ask for something at the infirmary? Modern treatments are quite effective for most people.

I seriously doubt that any insurance policy would cover your family's decision to leave the trip before it's end. Typically they only cover this sort of thing when it is medically necessary, not when it is an unprompted choice.

This norm says Royal Caribbean will make alternative arrangements for guests who have made their travel arrangements through us and have had their travel disrupted, but guests who have made independent travel arrangements retain full responsibility for making it to the ship.

The norm is also that the passengers are disrupted, but the ship leaves on schedule. That didn't happen in this case, hence people were unaware they had to arrive earlier.

This situation isn't 'the norm.'

The contract tells people they only have to be onboard 90 minutes before departure. The people who did that were refused boarding.

One day, someone with money and time to burn, will contest these contracts that are at best, conflicting and confusing and which leave the customer totally at a loss, even when they exactly follow the rules. Which is probably how the cruise lines want them to be.

They weren't refused boarding, I don't believe there was a ship to board. I'm not going to explain my point again - read through the thread if you wish.

Anyone with more money then RCI will be traveling on their own yacht! lol

Ok, Carnival went above and beyond. They played it well and more than satisfied their customers. That's fantastic, a good business model and I get that.

That is the whole point. Carnival cared and Royal Caribbean didn't care about their passengers.

And shall we go back and dig up all the garbage on Carnival when they decided NOT to take care of their customers until the media got involved? It would be easy to do. Ask those people booked on the Splendor cruises just after the fire that were told by Carnival to take or leave the compensation being offered on upcoming Splendor cruises. Carnival changed their tune once the media started reporting. :rolleyes: Yes Royal Caribbean screwed up big time but let's not place Carnival on a pedestal as they have their share of major blunders too. Gotta love those Carnival cheerleaders that have come out of the wood work.

If you read my post you will realize that I am no Carnival cheerleader. Yes, Carnival has screwed up in the past and have been blasted for it. But this time Carnival did it right and Royal Caribbean did not.

Carnival is getting credit for doing it right this time and Royal Caribbean is being rightfully blasted for its "I've already got your money and I don't care about you" attitude.

I don't care what cruise line does it wrong next time, if I believe they are wrong I have no problem coming on line and saying so.

"Let's not put Carnival on a pedestal".

Exactly. Nobody is perfect, and for people to hold Carnival up like that, when they're not exactly perfect is more than a bit disingenuous.

No one is saying Carnival is perfect. The point is the Carnival did it right this time and Royal Caribbean did not.

He also says this in his blog - conveniently not mentioned in the previous copy and paste. It's what I said and what people should always assume is the case contractually.

This norm says Royal Caribbean will make alternative arrangements for guests who have made their travel arrangements through us and have had their travel disrupted, but guests who have made independent travel arrangements retain full responsibility for making it to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he also admits that Royal Caribbean did not meet its own expectations for this incident ...

All guests who missed Serenade of the Seas in San Juan received compensation, equivalent to the number of days they missed of that voyage. Although we have heard from very few of the affected guests, I apologize on behalf of Royal Caribbean that our “situation awareness” was not at its customary high level. We have learned some valuable lessons for the future.

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?p=4174

It is true that in this case Carnival went above and beyond. However, Royal Caribbean fell below standard and admits it.

Hello posters - can you give me advice.

My wife and 2 friends got off the RCCL Enchantment this morning just before the return trip from Bermuda to Baltimore. They were in tears. She said it was chaotic on the ship as they were warned of very rough seas and so the ship would leave from Bermuda early (Sept 6 - today) due to Katia coming. Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. She said it was bad GOING from Baltimore due to storms - thus her fears of an awful trip back and 48 hours of sickness for her and friends. She said it was chaos in the centrum with people scrambling for flights out of Bermuda rather than endure a certain nightmare trip back via water.

So, I spent almost $1500 on 3 coach one-way fares home for the 3 of them and I hope to see if RCCL will allow us to collect on the insurance she bought from RCCL. The insurance was sold to us by RCCL for such "contingencies" so I hope it is covered and we get a future RCCL cruise or a credit (we are long time RCCL customers). In fact, we have another cruise booked with RCCL already for November.

If anyone has information on how RCCL handles these situations please let me know. If RCCL monitors these boards they can email me at fanzibar@yahoo.com with instructions on what to do. This is the first time in over 10 years I have had to collect on the insurance - so I hope they are nice and pay for the flights and at least give us a cruise credit for the 2 cabins!! I spend a lot of money on these ships so giving us a future cruise will pay off for them and make my wife happy.

Thanks all...and if anyone happens to have taken that return trip to Baltimore north of Hurricane Katia I would LOVE to know how bad it was!! That is NOT what I call a vacation :-)

Come on RCCL - do the right thing for us please!!!

1) I think you would be better off starting a new thread.

2) Have you written to Royal Caribbean yet?

Hello posters - can you give me advice.

My wife and 2 friends got off the RCCL Enchantment this morning just before the return trip from Bermuda to Baltimore. They were in tears. She said it was chaotic on the ship as they were warned of very rough seas and so the ship would leave from Bermuda early (Sept 6 - today) due to Katia coming. Estimated 15 to 20 foot seas and very high winds on the return. She said it was bad GOING from Baltimore due to storms - thus her fears of an awful trip back and 48 hours of sickness for her and friends. She said it was chaos in the centrum with people scrambling for flights out of Bermuda rather than endure a certain nightmare trip back via water.

So, I spent almost $1500 on 3 coach one-way fares home for the 3 of them and I hope to see if RCCL will allow us to collect on the insurance she bought from RCCL. The insurance was sold to us by RCCL for such "contingencies" so I hope it is covered and we get a future RCCL cruise or a credit (we are long time RCCL customers). In fact, we have another cruise booked with RCCL already for November.

If anyone has information on how RCCL handles these situations please let me know. If RCCL monitors these boards they can email me at fanzibar@yahoo.com with instructions on what to do. This is the first time in over 10 years I have had to collect on the insurance - so I hope they are nice and pay for the flights and at least give us a cruise credit for the 2 cabins!! I spend a lot of money on these ships so giving us a future cruise will pay off for them and make my wife happy.

Thanks all...and if anyone happens to have taken that return trip to Baltimore north of Hurricane Katia I would LOVE to know how bad it was!! That is NOT what I call a vacation :-)

Come on RCCL - do the right thing for us please!!!

I'm pretty sure you won't be getting RC to reimburse you. You made the choice to do what you thought was right for your family.

RC never promises a smooth cruise all the time. They gave a "heads up" on what was coming on the trip back and you choose to leave on your own...emphasis on the word "your choice". oh yeah, and it is hurricane season:rolleyes:

They weren't refused boarding, I don't believe there was a ship to board. I'm not going to explain my point again - read through the thread if you wish.

Anyone with more money then RCI will be traveling on their own yacht! lol

I think you need to read through the thread. A group of people could see the Liner but were refused boarding because the manifest had been completed.

Archived