Opinions on a "B2B" but different ships and different pier...

vowsatsea

Switching ships can be a pain , but the turn-around day on a back-to-back is sort of a wash anyway. Getting two more days aboard seems a good trade for the hassle --- not even counting the cost savings. Just make sure you have reliable car service lined up as opposed to trying to grab a taxi. Enjoy!

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice of when we can sail due to school schedules and work schedules. For the sailings we picked, there were only a few inside cabins left in our category. We figured with 8 months out, we wouldn't have a problem but we couldn't even get two cabins on the same floor, let alone the same cabin for two sailings. Must be popular weeks...:(

Hi vowsatsea!

I say "Go For It!" We do it all the time (my wife is a teacher and we make the most of her schedule!)

This winter break we are flying into Florida, spending a couple of days, and then boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam for eight nights. We embark at Port Everglades and will disembark and head south to the Port of Maimi, where we will board the Millennium for five nights. We spend one night post cruise and head back home on New Year's day.

We make every part of our vacation an adventure! Nothing more exciting than getting off one ship and boarding another! :) Others, disembark and head to the airport -- I call that depressing.:rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Kel

I like the idea of taking a back to back on different ships, as it gives you a variety in one vacation. In our case, it would be nice to get 2 different cruises in while only having to travel once, which obviously isn't an issue for the OP in this case. There are countless reports on here about people taking back to back cruises from Miami and Port Everglades (or vice versa), so I don't think it's any big deal to do it in the New York area.

I like the idea of taking a back to back on different ships, as it gives you a variety in one vacation. In our case, it would be nice to get 2 different cruises in while only having to travel once, which obviously isn't an issue for the OP in this case. There are countless reports on here about people taking back to back cruises from Miami and Port Everglades (or vice versa), so I don't think it's any big deal to do it in the New York area.
I totally agree. We love back-to-backs on different ships. It is nice getting a new ship to explore, new menus and new entertainment. In this case there is the added bonus of 2 more days for less money.

The packing and unpacking between cruises is really no big deal in this case because it requires no planning or decision making. You take it all. Just toss everything into the suitcases and you are done.

It is not at all like packing from home where you have a lot of preparation and need to make decisions about what to take and what to leave behind.

I am a very slow packer and it takes me about half-an-hour to pack up for the transfer. Then maybe another half-hour on the next ship to unpack and put it all away.

We have our clothes in the closets on wire hangers, so we just grab and toss them into the suitcases that way leaving them on the hangers. That makes it easy to pull them out and hang them up in the closets on the next ship.

Everyone has a different method of doing transition packing, but we like to unload all the drawers into clear plastic bags. Same for toiletries in the bathroom and items on desktop and nightstands. The plastic bags go right into the suitcases, keeping all our stuff organized the way we want it.

Then when we get to the next ship, we pull out the bags, place each into a drawer, or wherever we want it, and we are all set.

Assume that the cost of the cab ride between ports and the $50 savings on the second cruise will be a wash so that the financial consideration becomes zero.

The question for taking the longer cruise on the second ship then becomes: would you be willing to throw a limited (and pre-chosen) amount of your belongings into a suitcase, take a cab across town, and go through the normal boarding process in order to get a free 2-day cruise? Because that's essentially what this decision boils down to. Me? Heck yes I'd drive across town and go through boarding for the extra two days.

We have done several B2Bs where we changed ships and it has never been a problem. On your last day of the first cruise just have a relaxed breakfast and be one of the last off. Then you will be one of the first on the next ship. It is a really great to compare different cruise lines and ships. Also you will have new entertainment and menus, when we do B2B on the same boat even though the itenerary the second week, may be different the menu and entertainment are not.

We have done several B2Bs where we changed ships and it has never been a problem. On your last day of the first cruise just have a relaxed breakfast and be one of the last off. Then you will be one of the first on the next ship. It is a really great to compare different cruise lines and ships. Also you will have new entertainment and menus, when we do B2B on the same boat even though the itenerary the second week, may be different the menu and entertainment are not.

When you do a b2b on different ships but the same port - how do you get from one ship to the other? Can you walk with luggage to next ship or is there port transportation just for this type of situation? I'm looking at the Port of Miami where I already have one leg booked. Thank you!

When you do a b2b on different ships but the same port - how do you get from one ship to the other? Can you walk with luggage to next ship or is there port transportation just for this type of situation? I'm looking at the Port of Miami where I already have one leg booked. Thank you!

Sometimes the ships will be docked next to each other; no problem walking your stuff from one ship to the other. Sometimes the distance can be a problem; we disembarked from the Millennium (Port Everglades) at pier 18 and had to head to the Westerdam at pier 26; it's only about 1/4 mile apart, but the road does not take a direct route. We stalled leaving the Millennium and got in the taxi line; we told the driver that we needed to make that short run over to the other ship, but gave him $20, as he lost his place in the line for such a short fare. He seemed happy with that.

At the port of Miami, you could make a walking change, but if your first ship was at Cruise Terminal A, and you had to change to G, or J -- you may need a taxi.

Just check out the Terminal map once you know your locations:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portofmiami/library/port_map_10.pdf

(Port of Miami Terminal Map)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Thanks. I should haver realized what a difference that would be.

If the 9 day is Caribbean (vs my 9 day Canada-New England), the passenger difference might be a bit less extreme. Nevertheless, 9 day and 5 day cruises draw different passengers. I love the OP’s plan and would do exactly that if I were me. Have wonderful cruises, vowsatsea!

Archived