Opinions on a "B2B" but different ships and different pier...

vowsatsea

As of right now, my husband and I have a B2B booked on the Explorer of the Seas. The ship is packed, so we won't have the same cabin for both cruises. The first cruise is a 9-day and the second is a 5-day.

For $50 less per person, instead of the 5-day, we were thinking of jumping over to the Norwegian Gem's 7-day cruise. So, we'd be completing a 9-day on the Explorer of the Seas, then we would take a cab from Bayonne, NJ over to the Manhattan pier to board the Norwegian Gem for a 7-day cruise.

Has anyone ever done this before? Is it more complicated than it sounds? Should we just stick with a B2B on the same ship?

Opinions, please!

We do many b-to-b's but the last thing I want to do on 'turn-around day' is pack, clear customs, get in a taxi, do security and check in again, wait to board as you'll be there early and then unpack again. That sounds like way too much work for what kind of reward?

But that is just me.......

It certainly can be done quite easily. Just take a reputable car service like Dial 7 from Bayonne to the Manhattan cruise terminal. (Car service when you're crossing state lines between NY and NJ is usually cheaper than a taxi, and you normally get a nicer vehicle.) The trip should take about a half hour in normal traffic...maybe a touch more. You have more than enough time to do it. Cost is about $50 plus tolls and tip...about $70 in total.

By the way, the Explorer and the Gem are two of our favorite ships, and we've cruised on each several times.

We are doing two 7 days cruises in Florida and staying in Ft Lauderdale between the two for one day because we want a different ship experience relative to entertainment, food and activities. That is the way to do it as far as we are concerned.

Thank you all for the input. We are leaning towards doing the Explorer and the Gem. We may have felt different if we had the same cabin for both cruises, but we are going to have to pack and unpack anyway, so we might as well get two extra days and a different ship out of it.

Thank you all for the input. We are leaning towards doing the Explorer and the Gem. We may have felt different if we had the same cabin for both cruises, but we are going to have to pack and unpack anyway, so we might as well get two extra days and a different ship out of it.

Usually the crew will help you move cabins they will take the hanging stuff & you just pack the things in the drawers

Not as hard as moving ships ;)

On HAL, the drawers are interchangeable among all the cabins. Stewards will bring a rolling wardrobe cart to transfer all your hanging clothes and will swap out filled drawers with empty ones in your new cabin.

All you really have to pack on HAL ship if moving cabins are items you have set out in the bathroom and any things on countertops such as camera etc

The steward from your old cabin and the one at new cabin both help.

That being said, we never move. When we make our b-to-b bookings, we always book for dates we can have the same cabin. We normally book far in advance so don't have a problem.

We did something similar but 2 cruises a day a part. We probably wouldn't do it again anytime soon. It is just too much hassle, packing, disembarking, clearing customs, embarkation, muster drill.....you cruise vacation is 2 days shorter.

Ours would be leaving the same day our other returns, so really we'd only be losing one day. And actually, it works out longer anyway because our second Explorer is a 5-day cruise and the Gem is a 7-day cruise so for less money, we're gaining two days.

On HAL, the drawers are interchangeable among all the cabins. Stewards will bring a rolling wardrobe cart to transfer all your hanging clothes and will swap out filled drawers with empty ones in your new cabin.

All you really have to pack on HAL ship if moving cabins are items you have set out in the bathroom and any things on countertops such as camera etc

The steward from your old cabin and the one at new cabin both help.

That being said, we never move. When we make our b-to-b bookings, we always book for dates we can have the same cabin. We normally book far in advance so don't have a problem.

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice of when we can sail due to school schedules and work schedules. For the sailings we picked, there were only a few inside cabins left in our category. We figured with 8 months out, we wouldn't have a problem but we couldn't even get two cabins on the same floor, let alone the same cabin for two sailings. Must be popular weeks...:(

Actually the plan sounds reasonble to me. We have done back to backs and even a back to back to back and realize that there is a down side to those cruises. In most cases the main shows will all be repeated and even the other entertainment may be pretty much the same. And the dinner menus may also be exactly the same. Switching ships gets you more variety and sounds fun.

Hank

besides some of the reason stated above, one of the factors for me is on a 7 day cruise you have a bit more time to relax and enjoying the cruising atmosphere better instead of cramming everything in 5 days. That's why i stick with 7 day or longer cruises, and do not prefer cruises with 5 or less days.

Ours would be leaving the same day our other returns, so really we'd only be losing one day. And actually, it works out longer anyway because our second Explorer is a 5-day cruise and the Gem is a 7-day cruise so for less money, we're gaining two days.

I think you will spend your cruise fare savings on ground transport. Nevertheless, it may be a good plan. Since you have cruised both lines, I assume you understand and like each of them. If so, I would do it to get the extra days, different entertainment, different menus, different venues, but I would not be doing it to save money.

I like your plan a lot and that would be my first choice vs. staying on Explorer of the Seas for another cruise. I like variety.

Bayonne's not that from from Manhattan, and you would have plenty of time to get to NYC for Gem's check-in.

have fun!!

Our first cruise experience was a b2b. Frankly, never again. First 9 days were great but the last 5 days were something else. The ship downgraded several notches with trashy behaviour and sloppy lack of adherence to common sense rules eg glass bottles in the pool, dripping wet clothing in the buffet. If you can have the additional time to do the extra 2 days it could well be a a great move for more than the obvious reasons. Have a great cruise.

Our first cruise experience was a b2b. Frankly, never again. First 9 days were great but the last 5 days were something else. The ship downgraded several notches with trashy behaviour and sloppy lack of adherence to common sense rules eg glass bottles in the pool, dripping wet clothing in the buffet. If you can have the additional time to do the extra 2 days it could well be a a great move for more than the obvious reasons. Have a great cruise.

Really? What cruise line?

Why do you suppose they would permit that to happen? Why would they suddenly lower their standards?

Sorry for so many questions but this is awful.

Really? What cruise line?

Why do you suppose they would permit that to happen? Why would they suddenly lower their standards?

Sorry for so many questions but this is awful.

I would guess it was not a change of standards, but rather a difference in the behavior of passengers that book shorter cruises. The worst are the 'party hardy' one night cruises to nowhere....

I agree that the more attractive choice is to change ships. And another reason is the fabulous sailaway from Manhattan. I have done it many times, and never get tired of it. I love it when NCL ships pass The Statue of Liberty, and they play Lee Greeenwood's 'God Bless the USA' to the sailaway party.....:)

You got it Bob! Cruise line NCL. They booked out a number of rooms as prizes for a Chicago based radio station. Assumed we all would like their music and blasted it out all day long. Oyvay you learn from life! Great cruises ever since!

I did a back to back on RCL Explorer of the Seas last year. Five night Bermuda then 9 night Canada/New England. Only about 12 passengers were B2B with us on change over day. There was a big, big difference in passenger demographic between the two legs. the passengers on the first leg were younger, louder, pushier, etc. I was happy to see the new passengers arrive on change over day. As far as I know, there was no radio contest involved, though it might have been worse if there had been. On our cruise it was a difference between people drawn to short, warm cruise vs a longer, cooler cruise.

another reason for OP to select the 7 night NCL cruise?

Archived