I would like the opinions of seasoned cruisers please

carriesavvy

I have thought about cruising for a long time and think that I will try P&O cruiseline after reviewing all the cruiselines and wanting to go from Southampton. Can anyone who has used several of P&O ships tell me which, in their opinion, is the best one for a first cruise?

Also are there any particular places to go that you think I should include in the itinerary?

Thank you:)

It is hard to say which places you should include, because that is really up to you. Try and narrow down when you would like to go and where. Then you can look at the itineraries that fullfill your choices. Look them over to find the best one for you.

I have thought about cruising for a long time and think that I will try P&O cruiseline after reviewing all the cruiselines and wanting to go from Southampton. Can anyone who has used several of P&O ships tell me which, in their opinion, is the best one for a first cruise?

Also are there any particular places to go that you think I should include in the itinerary?

Thank you:)

Welcome to Cruise Critics!

It may be more beneficial to ask this question on the P&O board.....

I don't think P&O is a good first cruise experience. You should take a cruise from Norfolk first. If you like it, then go to the expense of flying to England and paying for P&O.

Am wondering if the OP is in Norfolk, England!

Hank

If he's specifically wanting to cruise from Southampton, and is looking at P&O, then I can almost guarantee he's from Norfolk, UK (it's a county - main city is Norwich - on the east side of England, about a third of the way up)

There are other cruiselines which sail from Southamptom, Fred. Olsen is, I think, based there. Not had any experience of them, I gather they are somewhat more geared to the 'mature' market, but the age profile on any cruise is very variable.

Whatever cruise you choose you'll probably be hooked!

I don't think P&O is a good first cruise experience. You should take a cruise from Norfolk first. If you like it, then go to the expense of flying to England and paying for P&O.

I don't think there's much going from Norfolk- Hull, occasionally, Harwich and Dover, but the big ports down that coast are mainly containers and ferries to the continent.:rolleyes:

I think that P&O would be an excellent choice for a first cruise! Each ship is different- there's the formal ones; the smaller ones, 3 adult only ones, and the 2 massive ones which cater for families, although we 2 old codgers like those the best- but they're not for everyone.

Get hold of some brochures, and look at them all. The small, adult only one is popular for the unusual ports it can sail into. The vast ones go to the Caribbean in Oct, and there's a fly/cruise package put together from local airports using Thomson flight, which are very popular.

We've also been on the Aurora, which was a little formal for us, but she's a beautiful ship, with a good indoor pool....and is the favourite of many.

Come on to the P&O page, and everyone will tell you about their favourite! ;)

Jo.

I don't think there's much going from Norfolk- Hull, occasionally, Harwich and Dover, but the big ports down that coast are mainly containers and ferries to the continent.:rolleyes:

Jo.

Confusion abounds!

OP talks of coming from Norfolk, and wanting to cruise from Southampton.

Post in reply suggests rather than flying from USA to UK to embark on the cruise he should try cruising from Norfolk, Va (USA)

You think he means cruise from Norfolk (UK) :confused:

In summary, I THINK the situation is:

OP lives in Norfolk UK, would like to take a cruise without flying so thinks his best option is to sail from Southampton UK, and is asking for suggestions about such cruises. This seems sensible as there are very few cruises sailing from elsewhere in the UK, although there are some, and obviously there are other ports.

What is it that is said about UK and USA being two countries divided by a common language?:confused: Sometimes they are two countries divided by common placenames :D

Confusion abounds!

OP talks of coming from Norfolk, and wanting to cruise from Southampton.

Post in reply suggests rather than flying from USA to UK to embark on the cruise he should try cruising from Norfolk, Va (USA)

You think he means cruise from Norfolk (UK) :confused:

In summary, I THINK the situation is:

OP lives in Norfolk UK, would like to take a cruise without flying so thinks his best option is to sail from Southampton UK, and is asking for suggestions about such cruises. This seems sensible as there are very few cruises sailing from elsewhere in the UK, although there are some, and obviously there are other ports.

What is it that is said about UK and USA being two countries divided by a common language?:confused: Sometimes they are two countries divided by common placenames :D

LOL! :D

In my early days on this site, I was just going to answer a request for somewhere to stay in Newark.....a pleasant little market town on the A1. We'd broken a journey there, and stayed in a pretty old pub, so I went to search for the name.

By the time I returned, someone else had answered, and I discovered another Newark.......:rolleyes:

Jo.

When we started cruising (once I decided to try and get over my fear of ships), we choose our cruise based on price and quality of cruise with our TA - where we were going wasn't as important to us as the ship. Our TA, who is also a good friend, picked Princess for us and we haven't regretted it.

We haven't tried P&O (yet), so I can't comment, but like the other posters, I'd say go over to their thread and ask which ship.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

Archived