Cruise during Christmas??? Good Idea?

artistsj

Since most cruises sail full anyway, how can a Christmas cruise be more "full, full, full?"

Since most cruises sail full, how can lines be longer at Christmas?

The ship is considered "full" if it sails with two people in every cabin. Many of those cabins are capable of sleeping 3-4 people, but the ship is considered 100% full if every cabin has two people in it.

In summer, at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, the ship sails with MORE THAN two people in many, many cabins. That is, people tend to sail with children at those times. The 3rd and 4th passengers make up the "more full" portion of the ship. They make the lines longer, the buffet more full, the pool more crowded, etc.

Because of the overcrowding and the high cost, I personally won't sail on a holiday again.

I have had to work 28 of the past 30 Christmas cruises.

Too many passengers onboard

Too many kids onboard.

Too many unsupervised kids onboard.

Long lines for most everything.

Too many passengers complaining about too many kids onboard.

Highest airfares of the year

Highest cruise fares of the year.

Incorrect bookings / double bookings.

The cruise line employees who normally fix these problems are on vacation just like you.

Highest number of lost suitcases of the year.

The people who normally find these suitcases are on vacation just like you.

Highest number of cancelled flights and delayed flights of the year.

The people who normally sort these out are on vacation just like you.

Non-Christians are upset about the decorations.

Christians are upset that there are not enough decorations.

Parents cannot afford to tip, so the highest amount of tips removed for the year.

Crew would prefer to be home with their families at Christmas; many are not very happy.

Many attractions, museums, shops, etc are closed this week.

Service engineers who normally fix technical problems on the ship are on vacation just like you. Nothing gets fixed this week.

With all the children and families running around at all hours, we receive the highest number of noise complaints of the year.

Children love to use the toilet as a garbage disposal. They stop up the ship's toilet lines more often than any time of the year.

At Christmas we see the highest number of domestic disputes of the year. Unfortunately there are no empty cabins to allow us to split up the couples. There are no empty hotel rooms to put them ashore, and no empty airplane seats to fly them home.

Thank you! Thank you!

I must save this list to share with anyone who suggests a Christmas cruise in the future.

You have probably just prevented a lot of family arguments for years to come. ;)

On our second holiday cruise (last December), the ship may have been fully booked, but was missing 200 passengers who couldn't get to San Pedro on time (the captain even waited four and a half hours before pulling up anchor). And it wasn't the kids making everyone miserable (if anyone was, that is), it was some rude senior citizens (and many of those over 65 told me that it was their peers who weren't behaving).

That said, if we could convince our teen to go again (she also was complaining about some of the elderly going up to the teens and making rude comments), we would book this same cruise in a second.

Since most cruises sail full anyway, how can a Christmas cruise be more "full, full, full?"

Since most cruises sail full, how can lines be longer at Christmas?

Since cruise lines employ contract employees, how can they be on "vacation just like you?"

How about this contradiction? "Crew would prefer to be home with their families at Christmas; many are not very happy," you write. (Many coming from cultures that don't celebrate Christmas).

There are pros and cons to cruising on Christmas. No reason for spurious arguments that don't mesh with reality. I, for one, will take a Christmas cruise any old time.

My ship typically sails with 105% occupancy. That means that every lower bunk is filled, plus an additional 5% of the 3rd and 4th bunks are filled - usually with children.

At Christmas, my ship sails at 125% occupancy. That translates to an additional 400 passengers (mostly children) onboard.

When you are standing in those long lines on a Christmas Cruise, it is those additional 400 children who are ahead of you in line.

Like most of my crew I live in Asia. Most of us are not Christians. ALL of us like to celebrate Christmas with our families (but maybe not exactly in the same manner you celebrate Christmas).

You should try to travel a bit more. Asia at Christmas is more festive than North America.

Christmas decorations are already up in Jakarta, Shanghai, and Tokyo.

Cruise Lines employ contract employees on our ships - not in our Corporate Offices.

The employees who are responsible to sort out cabin booking problems, cancelled flights, and lost suitcases are regular American employees who work 9 to 5, 5 days a week in our Corporate Offices in America. When Christmas comes, nearly all of them are on holiday - instead of sorting out your Christmas Cruise problems.

My comments - not arguments as you say - are based on my observations and experiences (reality) on 28 Christmas cruises over the past 30 years. I have no choice. My employer forces me to work on Christmas.

Many other people do have a choice.

You can pay top dollar for a Christmas Cruise, and face the increased possibilities of having a bad time.

Or you can choose to cruise another time, when the fares are much lower, the lines are shorter, and the chances of you having a great vacation are much better.

Please do not misunderstand. It is very possible to have a wonderful time on a Christmas Cruise. Many people do, year after year.

But there is a disturbingly high number of people who pay too much for the Christmas Cruise experience, do not have all the facts, complain bitterly that their Christmas holiday was ruined, and spend most of their holiday shouting at me in my office on the ship.

I am trying to convince those people to take some other sort of vacation.

On most lines, a Christmas cruise is quite festive. Usually, the ships are FULL. A lot more children and on a whole, prices are premium for the Christmas and/or New Year sailings. If you don't have to fly, it's not an issue, but around Christmas, airfares tend to be a bit pricier as well.

• 4 weeks later...
We have taken six Christmas cruises and enjoyed every single one of them. They have included cruises on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America, and Princess ships. I usually watch prices of several and have been able to find ones that weren't outrageously priced. But we'll take an obstructed view or even an inside cabin just to get on the ship. If you're the type who has to have nothing less than a balcony cabin, be prepared to pay a lot more during that week.

This year, DH's vacation schedule works out so that we can take a cruise the week before Christmas (Dec. 17-24). We'll still get to see the ship decorated but will miss out on some of the extras such as Santa Claus bringing gifts for the children and special menus for Christmas dinner.

Hello there, I read that you have quite an experience in Christmas and possibly new-years cruises. We have a special interest for on in the future on Holland America, so if possible, could you tell me a little bit more about this specific experience? Especially If it is that more crowded on board with children, or are the overall well entertained so everything stays in good spirit? Any experience will be much appreciated.

I think that the cruise line chosen would be an important consideration in terms of the complaints voiced about Christmas cruising. If I went on a cruise, I'd probably choose a higher end cruise line like Seabourn, Crystal, HAL.

However, I don't think I could let go of all that Christmas means to me.

Family and friends

Decorated houses and all the lights

Christmas Eve Open House

Roaring fire in the fireplace

Snow and cold and bundling up for walks with our Great Dane

Making breakfast (crepes, bacon, bloody marys)

and opening gifts on Christmas morning.

I am blessed with family and friends, and truly understand this to be a great gift.

I think I'd be miserable on a Christmas cruise. And, I admire folks who can turn those feelings around and have a great time.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

We only sailed once on a 14 day Christmas and New Year's cruise from NY on HAL's Noordam. It was one of the most amazing cruises we have taken. The ship was beautifuly decorated. Yes there were children on board, but just as many as when school is out. Never had a problem with a single child running amock! Biggest problem we saw was on New Year's Eve in the Crow's Nest where two adults were trying to save over 30 seats for their family and friends. People started sitting and these two "adults" almost started a fight. Security had to be called and stood watched these two all night.

It was wonderful to see Santa's arrival being announced over the PA system and then all the children going to the theater to sit on Santa's lap and received a present from him.

I would do another Christmas cruise again in a heartbeat if I could find one close to home without having to fly. Airfares around that time are ridiculous and then there may be weather issues.

Will you enjoy a Christmas Cruise?

Probably yes.

But bear in mind that on EVERY ship, on EVERY cruise line, on EVERY Christmas cruise there are far more complaints and far more dissatisfied passengers than on any other cruise of the year.

Your chances of enjoying a Chrtistmas cruise are still good - but not nearly as good as at other times of the year.

I disagree. We've been on cruises at Christmas 3 times now and would go again. I'd carefully select a smaller ship, one that doesn't appeal to families as much. Christmas cruises tend to attract a lot of extended family, which is fine. The ships sail full, but at holiday time family tends to stick together more.

But as for the complaints and dissatisfied passengers, nothing beats the Spring Break cruises. I read major complaints about those every single year. Kids and teens running wild. It's also the time of year luggage is scrutinized more carefully for smuggled booze.

My dh and I love to cruise at Christmas! We have done Christmas and/or New Year's cruises over the last 4 years and have another scheduled for this year. We have been on Princess and Holland during the holidays. We felt that Princess did a much better job of the Christmas entertainment and activities. Although Holland had some awesome food and not as many kids. Princess does an awesome job of keeping the kids busy and out of the way. We were surprised to learn that there were close to 800 kids on boards. I am a school teacher and would love to be away from the noise of kids during the holiday, but I look at it as it is someone elses problem and not mine. Although sometimes I want to step in and give some child the teacher look.:D

I can see us going on a holiday cruise every year. At least I hope so.

Kayla

Thanks for all the replies from folks who have done a holiday sailing.

My sister and have booked a full transit of Panama canal during Christmas 2012. She is a school teacher and the school vacation schedule is perfect for her to sail at this time.

We will be going through the canal on Christmas Eve, at sea on Christmas Day , New Years Eve in PV Mexico, and sea day on New Year's Day.:)

We both plan to celebrate Christmas with our grandchildren and families on Jan6. Our families will be going to the in laws while we are gone.

I am looking forward to this unique time to cruise.

There were decorations; not A LOT of Xmas "spirit"--it didn't feel alot different than a cruise on non-Xmas weeks. (same kinds of activities every day) There was Santa, caroling, gingerbread house decorating.

It will be more expensive.

Anywhere in the Caribbean & you are good to go temp-wise!!

Personally if I lived far from family & friends and wasn't intending on spending the holidays w/ them, a cruise would be the way to go--we just don't have time to be lonely on a cruise!

We have a "fair weather family" this year and I would love nothing better than to go on a cruise. Unfortunately, we can't afford it this year because of a June cruise booked to celebrate my Grandson's high school graduation. If I had the money and time, I would book a cruise in a heartbeat. For me, the Christmas spirit is whatever you make it, not the traditions so I think I would be just fine with Santa in shorts, no snow (puh-leeze..no snow), someone else provideing a delicious meal (and cleaning up) and me sipping wine while watching the waiters sing Christmas Carols. I would love it!!! What's to be lonely about????

We were on Carnival Liberty a couple years ago for the Christmas / New Years cruise. It seems many of the unhappy people are unhappy about working over the holiday. I sailed with my wife and 10 year old daughter and we had a great time. Sure the ship was a little busy but I did not book the cruise expecting to have a personal Carnival Cruise ship. Fun is what you make it and we had a wonderful time.

Interesting reading. I have a cruise booked for Christmas 2012 and I am super excited. I do understand about the larger than normal crowds, but they generally don't bother me. I have sailed in the summer and spring break and I also have 2 school aged kids. I am really looking forward to being someplace warm for Christmas, however it will be the 2nd in a row where we will be gone to someplace warm. We are spending Christmas 2011 in Melbourne, Aus. :D

Archived