cancel on balance due date

heidik

I can't seem to find the answer on HAL's site, but I paid a deposit for an upcoming Nov. cruise, today is the day for final payment - if I cancel this deposit/cruise, do I get my deposit back? I've never done this before.....thankx

I can't seem to find the answer on HAL's site, but I paid a deposit for an upcoming Nov. cruise, today is the day for final payment - if I cancel this deposit/cruise, do I get my deposit back? I've never done this before.....thankx

Yes but timing is everything so if you're not going forward I'd move out smartly to get the reservation canceled and the deposit returned.

I think that many folks, for a variety of reasons, cancel on or just before final payment due date, and for this I'm extremely grateful. Those cancellations often result in an increased number of available upgrades or upsells, and even occasional last minute flash sales -- which is very good for those of us who sometimes book guarantees or wait for last minute buying opportunities.

Cancellation Policy

A full refund (except for amounts paid for CPP) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America Line, 300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119, prior to the date on which you are to commence travel by air, rail, sea or otherwise in accordance with the following Cancellation Policy. Cancellation fees apply to the entire cruise booking, including cruise fare, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages. Guests who cancel within the dates shown below for any reason, including medical or family reasons, are subject to the following per-person cancellation fees:

Grand World, Grand Voyages, any Segment of a Grand World or Grand Voyage, 15- to 60-day Hawaii & Polynesia, Incan Empires, Amazon Explorer sailings

120–91 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

90–76 days before commencing travel: 60% of gross fare;

75 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

All Holiday sailings and South America/Antarctica

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

63–43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

42–22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare.

21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico, Bermuda, Canada & New England, Alaska and 14- to 17-Day Hawaii 75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Given that the resale of cancelled space will likely result in a lost opportunity to sell other space, these fees are due regardless of resale. Fees incurred as a result of cancellation cannot be applied to future bookings. Refunds will normally be made to your travel professional. Travel professionals may impose their own cancellation fees. Agency fees of any nature are a matter to be decided on solely by the agency and guests.

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable.

Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

Cancellation Policy

A full refund (except for amounts paid for CPP) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America Line, 300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119, prior to the date on which you are to commence travel by air, rail, sea or otherwise in accordance with the following Cancellation Policy. Cancellation fees apply to the entire cruise booking, including cruise fare, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages. Guests who cancel within the dates shown below for any reason, including medical or family reasons, are subject to the following per-person cancellation fees:

Grand World, Grand Voyages, any Segment of a Grand World or Grand Voyage, 15- to 60-day Hawaii & Polynesia, Incan Empires, Amazon Explorer sailings

120–91 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

90–76 days before commencing travel: 60% of gross fare;

75 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

All Holiday sailings and South America/Antarctica

90–64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

63–43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

42–22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare.

21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Caribbean, Panama Canal, Mexico, Bermuda, Canada & New England, Alaska and 14- to 17-Day Hawaii 75–57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;

56–29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;

28–16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Given that the resale of cancelled space will likely result in a lost opportunity to sell other space, these fees are due regardless of resale. Fees incurred as a result of cancellation cannot be applied to future bookings. Refunds will normally be made to your travel professional. Travel professionals may impose their own cancellation fees. Agency fees of any nature are a matter to be decided on solely by the agency and guests.

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable.

Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

So, it looks like it needs to be more than 75 days before sailing or you lose your deposit. Better make sure you are on the right side of those 75 days. Sorry that you might have to reconsider your cruise.

OP will possibly lose the deposit. The confirmation sheet on my last cruise had a final payment date of Feb. 28 with cancellation penalties beginning two days earlier on Feb. 26. My PCC has said cancellation without penalties must be done by the last business day before the final payment date. So in my example, Feb. 28 was on a Monday and the last business day before that was Fri. Feb. 25 with penalties starting on Sat. Feb. 26.

I am so upset -- I finally got through to HAL and was told because I put a deposit on a cruise that was advertised as a 3-day special, my deposit is nonrefundable -- I am out over $1200!!!!! :( I can't believe I was so stupid to not realize this. I'm totally depressed. I'm going to go cry now. How stupid can I be.

I am so upset -- I finally got through to HAL and was told because I put a deposit on a cruise that was advertised as a 3-day special, my deposit is nonrefundable -- I am out over $1200!!!!! :( I can't believe I was so stupid to not realize this. I'm totally depressed. I'm going to go cry now. How stupid can I be.

Did you do this on line or by phone? If by phone did you take notes on the Rep that you spoke to? They must be obligated to say whether a deposit is non-refundable. Btw, this would be the case on a cruise booked within the penalty phase as well.

well I just spoke with a different HAL rep who advised me that because I had taken out the platinum ins., I would get back 90% of my deposit less the cost of the insurance.....so I'm getting about 1/2 back -- better than nothing......lesson learned.

• 3 months later...

The mention of insurance on a cruise that you are cancelling before final payment got me thinking... If you get a full refund of your cruise/air deposit, can you also cancel your insurance and get a full refund of that? Is the answer to this question the same for both HAL insurance and private insurance?

The mention of insurance on a cruise that you are cancelling before final payment got me thinking... If you get a full refund of your cruise/air deposit, can you also cancel your insurance and get a full refund of that? Is the answer to this question the same for both HAL insurance and private insurance?

Insurance, whether thru the cruiseline or a third party, is not refundable. In many cases, however, it can be transferred to a future cruise if one cancels before the insurance provider is liable for any payout. For instance, I deposit and buy insurance in December for a July cruise and I cancel in February and get my deposit back from the cruiseline. One may be able to transfer the insurance to a different trip ... that is true of many third-party insurers, not sure about the cruiseline's policy.

Archived