Mobility problems

trixilator

In researching for our 'Eclipse' cruise next spring, cant find any info on how passengers with mobility problems are catered for. Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think you may need to be a bit more specific as by what you mean catered for...do you mean if you have special treatment or if there are wheelchairs available for you?

Since posting this I've been advised wheelchairs are provided for onboard use and can be reserved in advance - which I'm about to do. Its for my wife who has mobility problems. Now have to sort out what we can do if we want to join any of the tours available. Hopefully there wont be too much walking involved (though I suspect Rome will be a bit of a hike!)

I'm so pleased I found this forum - we're first timers in our 80's celebrating our diamond anniversary on this cruise and my various enquiries have received some very enlightening responses. Much appreciated. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic, congratulations on your 60th anniversary! You've chosen a great cruiseline and ship! You may want to check Celebrity's website- place your mouse over 'Onboard Celebrity' and then click on 'Special Needs' on the drop down menu. That will give you an Overview, Mobility Disabilities, Medical Needs, and Accessible Stateroom topics. While Celebrity offers basic collapsible wheelchairs for your use on board (first come first served, by sending a special request form to them), you may want to consider renting a mobility scooter for your wife. CareVacations provides wheelchairs and lightweight scooters for cruises, and has them waiting for you in your stateroom. (Just be sure your stateroom can accommodate the transportation). You can check them out at carevacations.com or call them at (877) 478-7827. If the toll free # doesn't work, their local # in Canada is (780) 986-6404. Or if you prefer, complete the online submission to reserve on their website, and you will be called back. A scooter would likely be great for her to have in the ports if walking is a concern.

Also, Cruise Critic has a 'Special Interest Cruising' forum, click on 'Disabled Cruise Travel' for discussions on a variety of issues. And lastly, you may want to consider ordering an anniversary/bon voyage gift from Celebrity for the two of you- flowers in your stateroom, or a bottle of bubbly with chocolate covered strawberries... Have a wonderful first cruise, you are sure to enjoy Celebrity's superb service, cuisine and overall experience. ;)

On most cruiselines, the wheelchairs that are provided are for boarding or disembarking only....they are NOT for use during the cruise.

If you need a wheelchair or scooter, then you need to either bring your own, or rent one from the various companies that lease mobility items.

You should also book a Handicapped accessible cabin, so you can actually use the device IN the cabin and you'll be sure it will fit thru the doorway...ship cabins have notoriously narrow doors, unless you book a suite! Also, there is a step into the bathroom...that might be a problem!

You will find that mobility challenged people are well looked after on a cruise ship....my DW has MS and she has no problems at all. May I suggest that you pose your question on the "Disabled Cruise Travel" forum. You will get a lot of information there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Since posting this I've been advised wheelchairs are provided for onboard use and can be reserved in advance - which I'm about to do. Its for my wife who has mobility problems. Now have to sort out what we can do if we want to join any of the tours available. Hopefully there wont be too much walking involved (though I suspect Rome will be a bit of a hike!)

I'm so pleased I found this forum - we're first timers in our 80's celebrating our diamond anniversary on this cruise and my various enquiries have received some very enlightening responses. Much appreciated. :)

Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT count on a wheelchair being provided by Celebrity. I've been disabled for over 50 years, and have cruised on Celebrity extensively, and I've found that you cannot at all count of being able to use a wheelchair provided by them. First, they don't have all that many, and second, they need to be used in emergencies. Plus, quite a few of them aren't in that great of shape. It's really much better to provide your own wheelchair or scooter, or rent one from a company like Care Vacations. Sorry, but I've learned the hard way you cannot count on the cruise line to provide the wheelchair outside of embarkation and disembarkation. The people in the "home office" can say whatever they want, but the reality of things is on the cruise ship itself.

As for the tours, in places like Rome, it will be A LOT of walking. Their buses are not accessible and some might not be able to accommodate a wheelchair. Don't know what other stops your cruise makes, but if you let us know, we can be of some help.

In researching for our 'Eclipse' cruise next spring, cant find any info on how passengers with mobility problems are catered for. Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Suggest you contact Celebrity's Special Needs department and request a wheelchair-accessible stateroom. They have them in a variety of different price categories.

Also, if you call and speak to them they may be able to answer a lot of your questions. We found the woman who answered the phone to be very helpful and friendly.

email to

special_needs@celebrity.com

(note: there is an underscore between special and needs)

Phone them toll free

Access Department 1-866-592-7225

or 1-800-722-5472 xt 34492

Congratulations on your diamond anniversary!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

You may want to consider acquiring a "travel" wheelchair. These are lightweight collapsible chairs. For reference I mean something like http://www.1800wheelchair.ca/product/4445/invacare-12-rear-wheel-transport-chair-19-lbs I'm not suggesting that model, just providing an idea of what I'm talking about.

The advantage of something like this is that you can take it with you easily and have it available whenever you need it. By the way airlines generally allow you to use it up to the door of the aircraft and they will have it waiting when you debark. They will also happily provide someone to push the darn thing. You'll also be able to take the chair off the ship in the various ports. Of course you still have to find someone to help move it.

brobert makes a good point about taking the cruise line's wheelchairs off the ship, something I forgot. Most do not allow the cruise line's wheelchairs to be taken off the ship for shore excursions. When I broke my foot on a cruise, before I was confined to using my scooter, they would not allow me to take their wheelchair off the ship for tours. It's a matter of insurance and liability. They don't want lawsuits if someone should have an incident while using one of their wheelchairs off the ship.

Thanks everybody. I think we'll take our own foldaway! Dont anticipate struggling with it in Rome but willing to have a go in other ports. We also have a portable 'seat' thingy which is great when she needs a sit down to get her breath!

Anyway, pleased we asked and grateful for all your comments. Thanks

DH & I took my 83 year old dad on his first cruise last Spring. It was easy to get him a wheelchair in the AP & to board. If he had need one more often we would have brought our own b/c the ship's are unreliable.

Dad was thrilled with the amount of help he got. Staff carried his tray at the buffet. He liked the handrails in the halls.

When you book excursions, the ship's website will tell you if it's handicapped accessible.

Happy Anniversary & enjoy your trip.

Good idea to skip Rome. I was able to get around OK, but slower than the average person so DW went alone (I had spent 3 days in Rome years before). She came back very tired and said it was all walking in the city, which was most of the tour except for a long bus ride from the port.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned tender ports. :confused:

Possibly cos you all know that there are none on Eclipse' itinerary. :rolleyes:

At ports where the ship cannot berth alongside the quay & has to moor off-shore, passengers are ferried ashore in small boats. Chair-bound passengers generally cannot get ashore at a tender port, those who can bear their own weight for the transfer from ship to boat, & from boat to shore, are generally helped by the crew, but it varies according to circumstances - the weather, the sea-state, the cruiseline, the judgement of the gangway staff.

Tender ports are always noted as such on brochure & website itineraries ("tender port" or "may be ashore by tender" etc)

JB :)

Another mobility question. Please bear with me!:rolleyes: I think I found a reference somewhere about twin beds. We're booked in a concierge stateroom on the Eclipse which shows a queen size bed. Are twins available?

The Concierge Class is a very nice choice of stateroom category, you will enjoy all of the extras! The Concierge Class description advises 'Two lower beds convertible to queen (except as noted)'. The only stateroom I'm aware of that doesn't convert, is the Family OV Veranda with a non-convertible double bed. Please have your TA or Celebrity rep note your desire for a twin bed configuration on your booking, and have them check to assure you that your particular stateroom can be configured that way. Your bedding should be set up with twins upon your arrival, but if not, just ask your cabin steward to take care of it for you. :)

Archived