Who had asked for special food?

SRQfireman

I can't say I've seen this asked here before. When I replied to recent thread about flourless choc. cake, that made me think of this.

I have requested many times some flourless choc. cake. This has been on RCCL and other cruise lines, and I can honestly say, I can't remember a time where we did not get it. It may take a night or two, but we got it.

How about you guys?.....what have ya asked for and did you get it easily, or with a "fight" or not at all?

Let the stories begin............

A couple of times, I've asked if I could have tiramisu on future nights, and have been told that they will "try" but it never happened. (Actually, on our last cruise, in which MDR service left a lot to be desired, the Head Waiter did save us tiramisu from Italian night and gave it to us on the next night, but wasn't able to provide it for us on other nights)

The last week in August on the Allure, our friend asked for shrimp cocktail every night...........and after a couple of nights, he got it. :)

My tablemates often ask for another lobster tail, or more shrimp.........I ask for extra broccoli. The waiter looks at me like he doesn't understand the request!

They do not have eggs benedict on their main dining room menu but you can order them.

They are fabulous !

We had a poached egg scandal on Rhapsody. Several people in the Diamond breakfast area had asked for them and were told that they couldn't be served "for health reasons." Well, then they had salmon benedict (ick, and I love smoked salmon) with, you guessed it, poached eggs. After that they were miraculously available every morning. I asked for traditional eggs benedict on the salmon day and they said no because they didn't have Canadian bacon onboard. After I suggested they just use ham they were able to grant my wish.

A couple at our table on Jewel requested a Filipino dish and the Maitre 'd came to the table and said it would be there the following night. It was served in a large bowl for the entire table, in addition to our regular meal. It was absolutely wonderful, but the couple that ordered did not come to dinner, and, in fact, posted a complaint here after the cruise about the terrible dining room service. I could not believe my eyes, as we had fantastic service.

Another avenue for requests for special dietary requirements is via the special needs department. Best if they are made aware more than 45 days in advance. But for flourless or gluten free options was well as Indian style vegetarian dishes (often on the menu anyway) this greatly helps in their planning and provisioning. Even without notice they can often make special version sof many items - like low sodium or low fat.

Special Meals

Someone said they have special Indian dishes available, which are not on the menu.

If I remember correctly you have to give a little advanced noticed...

After I ordered the Indian dish three nights in a row on our last cruise the Indian head waiter for our section promised me something special and started to bring out an extra curry that I think was prepared for the crew, as it was WAY spicier than the Indian dish for the passengers. It was wonderful.

Any recent Royal Caribbean cruisers know if they still have a cheese plate on the menu?? Used to be down the bottom by the deserts. I always enjoy asking for a cheese plate for the middle of the table before dinner to eat with the bread...YUM

Archived