What to wear on embarkation day?

buddybean11

I know the usual dress on the ship is shorts and t-shirts. But does that go for embarkation day too. I don't want to be under dressed when we board the ship but I want to be comfortable too. I plan on packing bathing suits and our outfits for dinner in our carry-on just in case we don't get our luggage in time. They say packing beach towels is a waist of space but if we can't get in our room until after 1:00 do they have towels for you to use by the pool?

I know the usual dress on the ship is shorts and t-shirts. But does that go for embarkation day too. I don't want to be under dressed when we board the ship but I want to be comfortable too. I plan on packing bathing suits and our outfits for dinner in our carry-on just in case we don't get our luggage in time. They say packing beach towels is a waist of space but if we can't get in our room until after 1:00 do they have towels for you to use by the pool?

There will be plenty of pool towels available...leave those beach towels home!!

Based on experience with Carnival--poolside- usually on upper deck or a lower corner will see a Carnival staff with desk and you sign for towels with your sign n' sail (cabin key) and they cross off name when you return them.

This is also where sports equipment like mini golf putters are signed out.

You are smart to bring items in carry on--just wear what is comfortable to board -as far as shoes too comfortable as may explore ship before getting in cabin which involves stairs in/outside.

IF this is your first cruise--prior to boarding they will take a photo of how ever many in your party and may want to dress our favorite short, or matching etc as may be your first ever photo you purchase. Although there are many,many (more than you want) times they take your photo. While I like the boarding photo to commemorate, usually from the travel,wait,moving suitcases I don't look "my best" anyhow ;)

If we're sailing from a warm weather port, I WEAR my bathing suit (under clothes!!!) so I can head right to the pool.

Only once have my bags NOT been delivered by dinnertime.... (and it was MY bag...hubby had all of his stuff!!!)

Don't worry about being too "spiffy" for boarding...no one cares!

Taking a carry-on with a change of clothes is the simplest way to avoid any stress. Embarkation in shorts & a tee shirt is fine and you probably can get into the MDR in those depending on the cruise line but you'll no doubt feel underdressed. It's a vacation so don't stress too much but you're also not eating at home. Take along a pair of khakis and a polo shirt (or the like) in your carry-on. Even jeans would be preferable.

And definitely leave the towels at home!!

Enjoy your first cruise! :D

I know the usual dress on the ship is shorts and t-shirts. But does that go for embarkation day too. I don't want to be under dressed when we board the ship ....

Then don't under dress!

In my experience, the usual dress on most ships is definitely not shorts and t-shirts. Yes, there are people who choose to dress this way but it seems to me they are far outnumbered by men wearing golf shirts and khakis or nice jeans.

Scott & Karen

You will see people in all manner of dress, from t-shirts and jeans or shorts to blazers and slacks. DW usually wears something cotton and casual and I wear a polo with shorts or Dockers depending where we are embarking and the local weather.

Edited by Putterdude

Make sure you have comfortable shoes on. Just going from the port building up to your cabin is a long walk. More like a hike. LOL. We find the elevators sometimes packed when you first get on and got more exercise by taking the steps. Of course that was almost 7 years ago. Not sure how fit we are today.

Then don't under dress!

In my experience, the usual dress on most ships is definitely not shorts and t-shirts. Yes, there are people who choose to dress this way but it seems to me they are far outnumbered by men wearing golf shirts and khakis or nice jeans.

Scott & Karen

Maybe I misunderstood but I have read on the boards numerous places that the usual dress on carnival during the day is "shorts and T-shirts, bathingsuits, etc." Maybe you are used to a diferent cruise line or am I terribly mistaken on what I've read. I am female so I usually don't wear golf shirts and khakis.

Edited by buddybean11

Originally Posted by CaveDiving viewpost.gif

Then don't under dress!

Scott & Karen

[buddybean11;30557416]Maybe I misunderstood but I have read on the boards numerous places that the usual dress on carnival during the day is "shorts and T-shirts, bathingsuits, etc." Maybe you are used to a diferent cruise line or am I terribly mistaken on what I've read. I am female so I usually don't wear golf shirts and khakis.

I agree with casual dress around the ship. Many of my cruises have been to the Caribbean and I can't imagine not fitting in wearing shorts or a swimsuit with coverup. I've cruised on RCL, Celebrity and Princess. I also can't imagine EVEN PACKING a pair of jeans!

I don't believe these rules apply to the MDR, however. I don't go overboard, but like to see nicer attire in such beautiful formal dining rooms. Never jeans!

The first night they expect that some people will not have their luggage in time for the dining room so just about anything (except for bathing suits) will be permitted in the Carnival main dining rooms. Or a chain mail dress, look it up, she was turned away. :eek::eek:

I always bring a beach towel from home but it is a light weight almost treadbare towel, nothing worse than lugging those big old heavy towels around a port. But then, we do other things than the beach so if all you are going to do is the beach then skip the towel.

Don't worry too much about what is posted on these boards, they are great guidelines but only about 10% of cruisers ever visit here. The rest of the people on your cruise will not even know as much as you do!

This will be my first cruise so I am not the expert, but I have read tons of threads on here and decided to wear one of my sundresses for embarkation day. I will pack my swimsuit in my carry-on in case I want to dip in the pool while I wait for my luggage. The thing about a sundress is that with everything being so casual the first day I can wear it to dinner (way nicer than my jean shorts!) and it can double as a cover-up for my swimsuit. If I owned "nice" shorts I would consider wearing them with a pretty top. I will probably wear my pretty flat sandals either way.

Wear something you want to be photographed in. When you board they make you pose for a photo. That picture will then be on display for all to see.

We usually board in something that could be worn to dinner, just in case the luggage doesn't arrive. A bathing suit, cover-up & sun screen are in the carry on. I'd rather wear wrinkled shorts to the pool then wrinkled pants / skirt to dinner.

No matter what you wear as long as you are wearing clothes, they will let you board. No worries.