Stay i n Long Beach, sail from San Pedro?

smurf1635

We absolutely did this, stayed at the Renaissance by Marriott in Long Beach and just walked around, did not need a rental car. We took a cab to the pier in San Pedro when we left... hmm... I think I recall the price being less than $30.00. I don't remember exactly, hubby paid the driver, but it certainly wasn't bank-breaking. :)

Enjoy Long Beach! It's beautiful. I assume you are flying in to the airport there? Also awesome. All in all, a great experience.

Looking to stay in Long Beach, but we sail from San Pedro. Any suggestions on how to get to the peir and costs?

Robin

We have done this many times in fact just this past January, always stay at the Holiday Inn, Atlantic Ave, Long Beach great rooms, helpful friendly staff, free shuttle within a 3 mile circle which will take you to the shopping center. We have then always used Obi One Transportation, large Lincoln Town Cars, great drivers who don't try to "dick" you around always on time for pick up at hotel and delivered us right to the correct pier in San Pedro $40. included a generous tip. First time we used them AVis had called them and from then on we just asked the frontdesk at the hotel. www.obionetrans.com or 1-800-393-8070 Our last driver was Trevor first time was the owner. Enjoy

...always stay at the Holiday Inn, Atlantic Ave, Long Beach ...

I would NEVER recommend a cruise visitor, especially one without an automobile, stay at the Holiday Inn...

Completely WRONG end of Long Beach...it's up on a freeway exit off the 405 under the Airport runway...Without transportation, you really can't even get to the nice part of Long Beach from there...

If you are in that remote a location, why even stay in Long Beach? You'd be better off going straight to San Pedro...

The attraction of Long Beach--the right part of Long Beach--is the restaurants, the shopping, the free city transportation, the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, etc. The Holiday Inn is near none of that...

The Renaissance that LangleyCruisers stayed in, OTOH, is a great hotel in a superb location...That, along with the Hyatt and Westin, would be my top three choices followed by the Avia, Hilton, Maya Doubletree and Mariott Residence Inn Downtown...

I would NEVER recommend a cruise visitor, especially one without an automobile, stay at the Holiday Inn...

Completely WRONG end of Long Beach...it's up on a freeway exit off the 405 under the Airport runway...Without transportation, you really can't even get to the nice part of Long Beach from there...

If you are in that remote a location, why even stay in Long Beach? You'd be better off going straight to San Pedro...

The attraction of Long Beach--the right part of Long Beach--is the restaurants, the shopping, the free city transportation, the Aquarium, the Queen Mary, etc. The Holiday Inn is near none of that...

The Renaissance that LangleyCruisers stayed in, OTOH, is a great hotel in a superb location...That, along with the Hyatt and Westin, would be my top three choices followed by the Avia, Hilton, Maya Doubletree and Mariott Residence Inn Downtown...

Actually the Holiday Inn on Atlantic is not off the exit of the 405. You're thinking of the one at Willow and Lakewood.

But that place in itself is a much better location than the one on Atlantic which is just south of Anaheim Blvd. Not an area I would stay in, or recommend to anyone.:)

Actually the Holiday Inn on Atlantic is not off the exit of the 405. You're thinking of the one at Willow and Lakewood.

But that place in itself is a much better location than the one on Atlantic which is just south of Anaheim Blvd. Not an area I would stay in, or recommend to anyone.:)

Oops...You are right...My bad...

Somehow, I just got crossed up and confused the two...

And, you are right...the one at the airport is at least in decent immediate surroundings, just remote...

The one on Atlantic is just in a scuzzy area...Okay if you want to be convenient to Auto Repair, body shops, donuts and car parts and a hospital...

Has anyone here stayed at Doubletree, Crown Plaza, Clarion San Pedro, Rodeway Inn, or Eldorado Coast Hotels?

We are looking to find something reasonable but also one that will allow us to park a car for 14 days for free. Some do, some don't.

If you have stayed at any of these hotels, what was your experience?

I think you may have the wrong Holiday Inn this one is downtown Long Beach!!!!! The reasonable cost of Holiday Inn compared to the Marriotts', Renaissance etc. when all you want is a clean comfortable bed to sleep in I'll take the Holiday Inn (no I don't work for them)

We have stayed at the Double Tree in San Pedro and left our car in their lot for 15 days with one of their stay, park and cruise packages. There have been reports in this forum that they will allow free parking if you stay there. IMO the DTI is better far better than any of the hotels that you have listed and is a great hotel in a parklike location. We often stay at the Crown Plaza which we pick up by bidding on Priceline for <$70 but while certainly very adequate, due the recession it is starting to get a bit stale.

I can only share what our experience has been and am rather surprised that you take such offence to my suggestion. We did not find the area "scuzzy" but then we did not go out for a stroll of the neighbourhood. The Hotel has always been so clean and well managed with very helpful staff for all of our visits and free hotel transport to anywhere we wanted to go in the area. For an overnight stay prior to cruising out of San Pedro I would still stay at the Holiday Inn. End of discussion.

I think you may have the wrong Holiday Inn this one is downtown Long Beach!!!!! The reasonable cost of Holiday Inn compared to the Marriotts', Renaissance etc. when all you want is a clean comfortable bed to sleep in I'll take the Holiday Inn (no I don't work for them)

Check back to post #s 6 and 7...

We already covered that...

I did, hastily, confuse this one with the one near the airport...

The one near the airport is nicer than this one--though inconvenient...

My disagreement with this particular Holiday Inn is that it is in a very undesirable area...

Were I to stay in Long Beach, especially as a tourist, I would want a lot more than just a bed...

Long Beach has so many nice restaurants and shops...as well as some tourist attractions...Aside from merely sleeping, I assume one has a little time to wander a bit and to go have a nice dinner...

And, on vacation, I would prefer pleasant surroundings...

Now, the original poster was not even sailing out of Long Beach...They were sailing out of San Pedro...There would be no reason to book an inconveniently located, questionable hotel in a subpar area just to tack on a $40 taxi ride to port...If that's all the OP wanted, they could put that extra $40 into a nicer hotel in San Pedro and have complete convenience as well...So, I assume they are staying in Long Beach because they want to enjoy the amenities of the NICE part of Long Beach...

I can only share what our experience has been and am rather surprised that you take such offence to my suggestion. .

I took no offense at your suggestion. I merely posted what I know about that area. I wouldn't stay there nor would I allow my daughter to stay there. If you like it, that's all that matters.;)

I am afriad to admit it here, didn't mean to cause such a stir. Anyhow, because I had an email from Priceline, which mentioned hotel rates in Long Beach, I followed the attached links and checked it out. While I was signed in to Priceline, I decided to bid on San Pedro again. Well I was so surprised when my bid was accepted... but it was in Long Beach. I thought for sure the only area selected was San Pedro, but obviously following that link gave me other options.

I guess I will call the Holiday Inn, Downtown, and see if they can give me an accurate rate for a taxi to the cruise port in San Pedro. We are driving in from Las Vegas, a side trip before our cruise. By the time we get there, we will just pretty much want a bed, I'm sure. It will all be OK, afterall.... we will be on VACATION:p

Robin

Our original plan was to drive into LA, from Vegas, return car at LAX, shuttle to San Pedro, hopefully to one of the hotels offering free shuttle to cruise port. When we first made our rental reservation, it was for Sun-Tues, returning the car a day before we cruise. Then we booked Vegas for a day earlier than planned. To get the car a day earlier was going to cost us another $40.

After my blunder, I started looking at the car rental site, to see what it would cost us to pick up the car the day we arrive in Vegas & keep the car till sailing day. It was a pleasant surprise to find we can get it earlier & keep it and the price has come down!

I knew it would all work out :)

Now, please someone advise me how much time I need to give ourselves to drive to LAX, return car and catch shuttle. I am willing to be up at the crack of dawn. Keep in mind, we sail the day before Thanksgiving. What should I expect?

Robin

Has anyone here stayed at Doubletree, Crown Plaza, Clarion San Pedro, Rodeway Inn, or Eldorado Coast Hotels?

We are looking to find something reasonable but also one that will allow us to park a car for 14 days for free. Some do, some don't.

have stayed there many times get a room on the 3rd floor watch ur ship come in its out of the way so u have to drive to visit out side the hotel out side parking,we liked it

Our original plan was to drive into LA, from Vegas, return car at LAX, shuttle to San Pedro, hopefully to one of the hotels offering free shuttle to cruise port. When we first made our rental reservation, it was for Sun-Tues, returning the car a day before we cruise. Then we booked Vegas for a day earlier than planned. To get the car a day earlier was going to cost us another $40.

After my blunder, I started looking at the car rental site, to see what it would cost us to pick up the car the day we arrive in Vegas & keep the car till sailing day. It was a pleasant surprise to find we can get it earlier & keep it and the price has come down!

Now, please someone advise me how much time I need to give ourselves to drive to LAX, return car and catch shuttle. I am willing to be up at the crack of dawn. Keep in mind, we sail the day before Thanksgiving. What should I expect?

Robin

we liked the golden it was nice we live north of vegas

Robin

I wish you luck with going to LAX on that date. There will be many news crews doing their "horrible day to travel" stories and for a good reason. I've flown into LAX the day and two days before the holiday. Oy.

Robin

Are you driving in from Vegas the same day you are sailing? If so, I would leave by Vegas by 6 AM, allowing 6 hours drive time (no long stops), 1 hour for rental car return, shuttle to airport, pick up shuttle to San Pedro, then at least another hour to San Pedro, should get you to the port by 2. Is that enough time for the departure of the ship?

If you aren't driving in from Vegas, where are you staying the night before? If at least two in the car, you will be able to use the car pool lane which will help to mitigate the traffic some.

Could you switch the drop off to LGB (Long Beach Airport)? Much smaller, significantly less traffic, can just walk across the street from the car rental return to the taxis/shuttle stop.

I wish you luck with going to LAX on that date. There will be many news crews doing their "horrible day to travel" stories and for a good reason. I've flown into LAX the day and two days before the holiday. Oy.

We are ONLY dropping a rental car off that day. We fly into Vegas on the 19th and are driving to Long Beach on Tuesday the 22nd.

I would never count on air travel the busiest travel day of the year.

Robin

Are you driving in from Vegas the same day you are sailing? If so, I would leave by Vegas by 6 AM, allowing 6 hours drive time (no long stops), 1 hour for rental car return, shuttle to airport, pick up shuttle to San Pedro, then at least another hour to San Pedro, should get you to the port by 2. Is that enough time for the departure of the ship?

If you aren't driving in from Vegas, where are you staying the night before? If at least two in the car, you will be able to use the car pool lane which will help to mitigate the traffic some.

Could you switch the drop off to LGB (Long Beach Airport)? Much smaller, significantly less traffic, can just walk across the street from the car rental return to the taxis/shuttle stop.

Staying in Long Beach the night before sailing, not Vegas. Its good to know we can use the car pool lane, thanks for that info :)

Dropping the car off in Long Beach is not an option with this rental agency. Trust me, I was so hoping I could.

Robin

I think if you left Long Beach at 1030 AM, before the lunch rush, and early leavers, you can get to the LAX rental car return area in an hour. You would then need to take its shuttle to the airport and then pick up your planned transporation to San Pedro. Give that an hour max. Then another hour back to San Pedro--you again will be in the car pool lane. I think you would be at the port around 130, 200 PM

The Hotel Maya by Doubletree offers a stay and park package. You can park your car up to 7 days and they said they have a shuttle service to the port. We booked a room with them for our pre-cruise night stay but we'll be taking our car and parking it at the port at one of their secured lots. It will be more cost effective for us.

Archived