Transatlantic - west - Port or Starboard

Frankie Sue

On our first TA in 2010 from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale we had a starboard side cabin on Caribe deck. This location was perfectly enjoyable as the balcony was comfortable all day and received mid-afternoon sun.

For our TA in 2012, also from Venice to Ft. Lauderdale, we'll be on the port side due to cabin availability. We're looking forward to warmer temperatures on port side, but other than that I don't expect much difference.

We would be happy with either port or starboard as we are with any cruise we're sailing.

Lew

The old adage goes: POSH=Port Out, Starboard Home. Since that saying originated in Europe, then "Out" would be the westward leg, and port is what you would be after. That assumes, of course, that the voyage that gave rise to the saying was a trans-Atlantic. If the voyage in question was to some other destintation, then I have no idea.

The old adage goes: POSH=Port Out, Starboard Home. Since that saying originated in Europe, then "Out" would be the westward leg, and port is what you would be after. That assumes, of course, that the voyage that gave rise to the saying was a trans-Atlantic. If the voyage in question was to some other destintation, then I have no idea.

According to a number of sources, two of which are quoted below, the word was not derived from ship travel...

Dictionary.com

The popular notion that the word is an acronym from port out ( ward ), starboard home, said to be the preferred accommodation on ships traveling between England and India, is without foundation.

Apple Dictionary

There is no evidence to support the folk etymology that posh is formed from the initials of port out starboard home (referring to the practice of using the more comfortable accommodations, out of the heat of the sun, on ships between England and India).

Lew

Personally, I don't think it makes any difference. Whether you have more sun or not depends on the direction the ship is sailing at any particular time. They don't go straight West but sail northwest, southwest, north, south, etc. as they sail from port-to-port. It's water all around when you're at sea. :)

Clearly different folks have different opinions. We have done four transatlantics from east to west in the last 4 years. We prefer aft cabins ourselves. The one time we had a port side cabin, we found that in the afternoon we couldn't sit on the balcony. It was too hot and the sun was blinding right up until sunset.

As we love a sunny balcony, we chose port side on our 25 day T.A. from Athens to Ft. Lauderdale in October/Nov 2009.

We had perfect weather, the calmest of seas and we spent a lot of time reading on our balcony. I certainly would choose port side again.

Jennie

Actually that quote comes from England and it was for those who were journeying to India during the 19th century. I know that if you look up a Dictionary it says it was never said but we have always grown up with that saying, especially back in the 40's when Australia was so much more English than it is now.

Jennie

Archived