Le Champagne - $30 menu versus $200 Degustation menu

pke-atlanta

Has anyone had both that can provide a comparison for me? I understand that it's not just a difference of including wine pairings, but that the menu is actually different. Is this true? And is it worth the additional money from a food standpoint to do the Degustation menu? Thanks.

for general information, pls see this link:

http://www.avidcruiser.com/2011/05/18/upgrade-your-silversea-cruise-dinner-at-le-champagne-worth-the-extra-fee/

We have done both and plan on doing Le Champagne a couple of times next month on board the Spirit. We will choose the $30 menu option since we've found the multiple pours of the fine wines accompanying each course (preceded by a generous pour of Dom) leaves your palate fatigued by the third glass, third course of a six course delicious meal. Thus, we prefer to order a nice bottle of red or white or both from the connisieur's list vs taking the full degustation menu option. Recommend if you have yet to try the full degustation (and you enjoy your wine) to try it at least once. btw, if you go to bon voyage gifts and gift yourself a degustation meal it will cost you $150 pp vs $200pp.

DÉGUSTATION DINING EXPERIENCE

Le Champagne by Relais & Châteaux offers Degustation Dining

in a six-course epicurean experience. Five fine wines served by

the glass and a select after dinner drink are complemented by

a set tasting menu of regionally inspired dishes. Order in advance

for only $150 per guest ($200 per guest when reserved onboard).

Reservations are required and should be made once onboard.

US$150P/

Thank you both. Wes, the link to the menus was very helpful. Have to say I am a little disappointed to learn the menu is identical. The Silversea representative I spoke with when making the decision to "gift" myself (to save the $50pp) told me that the Degustation menu was a different, more "gourmet" menu than the "regular" Le Champagne menu, not just a simple matter of paying an extra $120 for the wine pairing. Had I known that, I probably would have just selected my own bottle. However, we do like good wines, so perhaps once will be worth it.

One more question: If on another night we choose to dine again at Le Champagne without the wine pairing option, are cocktails available in Le Champagne? I know the "free" ship wines are not available, but can I order a martini in Le Champagne instead of a bottle of wine? If yes, I"m assuming there would not be an additional charge for the drink. Or is Le Champagne a completely "pay as you go" location?

Thanks again for your helpful information. Just trying to set my expectations for an upcoming trip on the Shadow.

Your welcome Pke-Atlanta, don't know the answer to your drinks in LC ? but am sure someone will soon post. Enjoy you HK to Singapore journey--we did HK to Bangkok in

April...enjoyed Cu Chi Tunnels in HC Minn city--if u'r looking for silk--Jim Thompson Thai Silk company is in Bangkok.

Have always had VERY generous glasses of all the wines on every previous cruise when having the degustation menu. However, the cruise on Spirit last Nov/Dec was very different and quite frankly the $200 was a rip off as the pours were miniscule. I was not the only one to comment and I remember one poster said he had had larger amounts at a wine tasting.

Hoping normal service is resumed on the Shadow in December!

The wine pairing is something I would enjoy, but Todd only drinks red if nothing else is being served. If I ever did the $200 it would be this trip for my 50th and Todd would do the $30 option, and I have not seen a menu that I really wanted to do.

The Bon Voyage gift to yourself cannot go against your onboard credit. We already are over the $1000, so that would not really be a concern.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently back from the Cloud, we ate in Le Champagne twice. The first time we purchased a bottle. The meal and service were very nice and sailing along the coast of Norway added to the experience. The second time, while the food was still excellent the service was awful. It seems they like to keep everyone on the same course irrespective of the time of your reservation. I actually left before coffee. I would not take the wine pairing. They were actually inattentive to refilling the glass of a friend. They do start you off with the house champagne regardless of the option you select.

As Wes said, the meal is identical with or without the wine pairings. I am not a wine drinker, but have tried le Champagne both ways. If you're not a real serious wine drinker you will find the wines overwhelming by the third course, again, as Wes said. The "Lovely Miss Lynn" doesn't drink alcohol and she was able to get non-alcoholic sparkling wine in le Champagne. You can not order from the bar for mixed drinks there.

Thanks all for the replies. One update since my original post that I feel the need to share in the interest of fairness and accurate representation of Silversea service: upon realizing she had misinformed me about there being a different menu, the Silversea rep called me back up, explained her error and apologized, and gave me the options of keeping the reservation or refunding the payment. And I have to say this rep has always treated me well in the past, so I can't be overly critical about her with this.

We do both enjoy wine, so we've decided to keep the wine pairings for this one dinner. However, if we decide to dine again in Le Champagne on this trip, I anticipate it will be without the wine pairing option. Will report back on the experience when we return!

Don't know if you're aware of it, but the menu changes nightly. Your butler can get you the menus for the different nights of your cruise. Choose the theme you like best if you're only planning to do it once, especially with the wine pairing. Do it as soon after boarding as possible, because some theme nights fill up rapidly.

We are going tomorrow night and doing the $30 option each w/ bottle of wine, though nobody has asked us yet which we will do. We booked this minutes after boarding with the understanding we would be able to customize the first two courses since we don't "do" raw veal or snails. It has taken days to get anyone to deal with this, and then last night I was embarrassed in front of our dinner companions by saying we would not be accommodated except for allergies (I am allergic to mushrooms) unless we wanted whatever they had somewhere that day (no details offered) or room service. I said that was all free, why would we come pay at least $110 for that and maybe we should not come. I guess we will see. So far, I am not impressed in any way. It is clear that the days of talking to a chef and customizing a menu are coming to a close, as we have had other encounters in MDR.

They were accomodating to us when we asked for a substitution for the raw veal. The maitre d' Fred asked if fish would be a good substitute. You are probably correct. I think we were accomodated because we made the effort to seek him out. I do not think the staff seeks you out. The same goes for the butler. I had to introduce myself to him. He was nothing more than a room service waiter.

Recently back from the Cloud, we ate in Le Champagne twice. The first time we purchased a bottle. The meal and service were very nice and sailing along the coast of Norway added to the experience. The second time, while the food was still excellent the service was awful. It seems they like to keep everyone on the same course irrespective of the time of your reservation. I actually left before coffee. I would not take the wine pairing. They were actually inattentive to refilling the glass of a friend. They do start you off with the house champagne regardless of the option you select.

In my experience, Dom Perignon champagne is served with the degustation menu. It costs a GREAT deal more than the house pour!

They were supposed to call us that night, then the next day and the next day and then to come see us at our table last night. I asked for a seafood soup, and the captain there said, "NO, no seafood soup. I will not ask my chef. You can have the tomato soup or the room service salad". Geez, the main restaurant is doing fois gras for me tonight.

They were supposed to call us that night, then the next day and the next day and then to come see us at our table last night. I asked for a seafood soup, and the captain there said, "NO, no seafood soup. I will not ask my chef. You can have the tomato soup or the room service salad". Geez, the main restaurant is doing fois gras for me tonight.

Hi Debbie...

GEEZ!!!! I'm not a fan of seafood and when I've dined in La Champagne I've been accommodated...heck I was even accommodated in Seishin!, (like you, having given them advanced warning).

Had the captain ever said to me, "No...I will not ask the chef." I probably would've replied with, "Please have the chef come out now." or, "Yes, you will ask the chef."

Sorry you're not having the usual Silversea experience!

We are back from 21 days on the Shadow, and dined in Le Champagne twice. Once for 'Under the Spanish Sun' - which had been our favorite menu, and then for "North American Delights," I think it is called - NOW our favorite menu! On both evenings, we chose the $30 option and had the Maitre d', Debbie, assist with our wine choices. Her recommendations were fabulous on both occasions. They change the wine list frequently, so she was familiar with what was currently available. We have only done the $200 option once, and honestly, enjoy the $30 option just as much!

Last year, Andrea of Luxurycruisebible posted this abbeviated list of Complimentary and some Connoisser wines:

Complimentary Reds

Castle Rock, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006 (Paso Robles, California)

Chateau Cros Lagraviere, 2007 (Graves, Bordeaux, France)

Chateau Lousteau, Medoc, 2007 (Bordeaux, France)

Cote du Rhone, Domaine Bastide, Moillard, 2006 (Rhone Valley, France)

Gavius, Castello di Gabiano, Monferrato Rosso, D.O.C., 2006 (Piedmont, Italy)

Havens Merlot, 2006 (Napa Valley, California)

Pinotage Man Vineyards, 2007 (Coastal, South Africa)

Complimentary Whites

Chateau La Fleur de Bellevue Premieres, 2008 (Cote de Blaye, Bordeaux, France)

Conundrum, 2008 (Napa Valley, California)

Hugel Gentil, 2007 (Alsace, France)

Manzoni Bianco Campodipietra, I.G.T., 2008 (Veneto, Italy)

Pellegrini Sauvignon Blanc, Leveroni Vineyard, 2007 (Lake County, USA)

Sauvignon Blanc Porcupine Ridge, 2008 (Cape of Good Hope, South Africa)

Sauvignon Blanc Reserve, Santa Alicia, 2006 (Maipo Valley, Chile)

Connoisseur's Wine List—Reds (extra fee)

Arzuaga, Gran Reserva Arzuaga, 2002 (Valladolid, Spain) = $249

Chateau Canon, Premier Grand Cru Classe, 2001 (Saint-Emilion, France) = $224

Cos D'Estournel, Grand Cru Classe, 2005 (Saint-Estephe, Bordeaux, France) = $329

Joseph Phelps, Insignia, 2005 (Napa Valley, California) = $235

Robert Mondavi, Opus 1, 2003 (Napa Valley, California) = $201

Tenuta San Guido, Sassicaia D.O.C., 2005 (Bolgheri, Tuscany, Italy) = $225

Connoisseur's Wine List—Whites (extra fee)

Cloudy Bay, Sauvignon Blanc, 2008 (Marlborough, New Zealand) = $40

Domaine de Chevallier, Blanc de Chateau, 2006 (Bordeaux, France) = $160

Domaine Laporte, Sancerre La Comtesse, 2006 (Loire, France) = $45

Jermann, Vintage Tunina, 2007 (Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy) = $50

Louis Jadot, Chassagne, Montrachet Premier Cru, Morgeot Duc de Magenta, 2006 (Burgundy, France) = $70

Louis Latour Corton, Charlemagne Grand Cru, 2006 (Burgundy, France) = $180

Dogburns and Wes have both given you good raw information. Regarding the Martini, they won't serve you, but I have always brought a fresh Martini from the Bar into the Rest with no problems.. They did subsitute a Large Shrimp Cocktail for my wife one night.:rolleyes:

I was annoyed with the entire matter and called and just said we were canceling. No explanation was requested nor was one given.

We ARE having the Silversea experience. The night before last, I had the seared fois gras that I ordered a day in advance. It is just Le Champagne where he was not flexible unless he could get something from MDR and did not want to say what. I did not want to go pay for dinner I could have had in MDR. They should know some people will not eat raw veal, etc. Anyway, that and one wrong dessert are the worst things that happened the whole cruise, so it has been a wonderful experience. This just rubbed me wrong. He had said they were full, and I looked in 3 different times, and they clearly were not at all full.

Archived